Author Topic: Veggie / Vegan restaurant, Tring, Herts  (Read 1169 times)

Veggie / Vegan restaurant, Tring, Herts
« on: 25 July, 2009, 01:10:14 pm »
The Green House

Went there last night. I'm not a veggie, but wife used to be. Took along my 15yr old twin daughters too.

A nice atmosphere, light and airy, a good selection of veggie and vegan offerings, service was friendly, abit amateur, and the kitchen was a tad slow (my wife commented, which is unusual for her), but overall a good experience and one I would recommend.

Website has a sample menu, it's not overly cheese heavy, and I don't think I saw an egg anywhere.  We had rissotto, refied aduki beans, thai curry (mild) and a veg and lentil "gateau. All good. Excellent chocolate mousse desert, and small but tasty cheesboard.

I think it's doing ok, as there was a hand written notice saying there were now open every weekday 11pm onwards.  Not surprising as it's a really nice place, and the only veggie restaurant for miles.  Worth a visit. It's run by a local guy - Metcalfes have had a hardware store in town for decades, and this is him branching out.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
Re: Veggie / Vegan restaurant, Tring, Herts
« Reply #1 on: 25 July, 2009, 07:53:46 pm »
Judging by the sample menu he really needs to get over the dairy.

« Reply #2 on: 28 July, 2009, 04:47:26 pm »
Too much or too little? When we went there were few offerings with cheese, and most could be served without it for a vegan option.  Also desserts use Almond "kream" (sic). No eggs that I saw.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #3 on: 29 July, 2009, 08:39:11 am »
Well from my POV as a pesky vegan and purely based on the sample menu, it seems that most things contained dairy in one form or another.

Fair play to him though, there are a number of vegan options to be had.

« Reply #4 on: 30 July, 2009, 03:46:48 pm »
I guess he's trying to appeal to a broad audience, and certainly of the 4 of us only one has been vegetarian (my wife), myself and my daughters haven't.  My wife commented (favourably) on the contemporary decor and feel of the place, so it's a restaurant that serves all vegetarian (and some vegan) food, as opposed to a vegans/vegetarians restaurant, if you see what I mean.

We'll ceratinly go back anyway.

« Reply #5 on: 30 July, 2009, 03:56:48 pm »
I looked at that menu & reckoned it was about 50/50 vegan/veggie - didn't seem like much dairy at all (am also a vegan).  Especially if you allow for easily-veganisable things (anything that says 'served with [dairy]', or the meze which could easily just exclude the feta). 

I think it looks v tasty & will keep it on the mental list :)  Glad you enjoyed it, rafletcher!

« Reply #6 on: 01 August, 2009, 10:57:29 am »
I think it looks v tasty & will keep it on the mental list :)  Glad you enjoyed it, rafletcher!

Fancy a ride around The Chilterns?

« Reply #7 on: 03 August, 2009, 10:45:47 am »
I think doop was muttering about the Anfractious, so...