Author Topic: London 205 Bus  (Read 2203 times)

London 205 Bus
« on: 02 May, 2008, 10:23:05 am »
Can someone with local knowledge give me some information. My wife and I will be arriving by train at Paddington with two Airnimals in bags and panniers in another bag. Rather than assemble the bikes and then disassemble them again at St Pancras I have looked at going on the 205 bus as an alternative. (We have free bus passes).

Do you think this is feasible from the point of view of the driver letting us on with these bags?

Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Re: London 205 Bus
« Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2008, 10:29:20 am »
If they are in bags the driver likely won't give a hoot.

« Reply #2 on: 02 May, 2008, 10:45:12 am »
If you are travelling off peak there shouldn't be a problem. If the bus is very busy, it might be tricky getting them on, but I should think it will be ok - the busses I catch frequently have passengers with large suitcases and shopping trolleys. :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #3 on: 02 May, 2008, 10:52:04 am »
I saw someone on the 93 the other day with a Dahon Jack. It was folded but not even in a bag. Bus driver didn't mind as it wasn't busy.

If it's not peak time then what about the Tube? You can take the circle line from Paddington straight to Kings Cross St Pancras. You can even do this journey with fully assembled bikes.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/bicycle-tube-map-0108.pdf
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2008, 10:53:23 am »
I've taken my road bike in a hard shell case on a bus on many occasions.  When people ask what it is I say "it's a pandemonium".

You should be fine on the bus.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 02 May, 2008, 10:57:40 am »
Bus drivers occasionally get sniffy about folders (even though they shouldn't) but the 205 is one of Ken's "free" bendy busses, with three doors.  The drivers do not give a stuff who gets on them or even whether or not they pay.  Unless you're fighting, or trying to get a moped on board or something, they won't care.

If you're particularly concerned, get on through one of the rear doors.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: 02 May, 2008, 11:21:39 am »
Thanks for all your help. We do have two hours between trains so I don't think we will have too many problems.

Greenbank; I did think of the tube but I would have to pay. (I know, tightwad).
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

border-rider

« Reply #7 on: 02 May, 2008, 11:24:30 am »
If it's not peak time then what about the Tube? You can take the circle line from Paddington straight to Kings Cross St Pancras.

Without an Oyster card that's £4 each each way if you don't come back the same day.  It's about £1 per stop.