Author Topic: Shimano Dynohub - Byer cycles  (Read 3113 times)

vince

Shimano Dynohub - Byer cycles
« on: 05 May, 2008, 08:37:13 am »
I'm thinking of getting one of these - built up on an MA3 rim for about £100. Do you think it's good value? has anyone got any experience of his wheel building? Would there be any problems fitting an Ixus fly to it?

I've been waiting for Bike Plus to bring out another Shimano deal, but so far they haven't.

Any thoughts anyone?

border-rider

Re: Shimano Dynohub - Byer cycles
« Reply #1 on: 05 May, 2008, 09:19:13 am »
What version of the hub is it ?

It's hard to judge the value without knowing that. I'm sure their wheelbuilding will be fine, and anyway it is hard to mess up a front wheel build.

I'm not sure I'd go for an MA3 rim though.  They're not all that robust or long-lasting.

« Reply #2 on: 05 May, 2008, 09:25:02 am »
I have the Shimano DH-3N80 on a mavic open pro rim with an B&M IQ fly and am quite pleased.  Bought it on German ebay from a shop in Hamburg last autumn for not a lot of money.

vince

« Reply #3 on: 05 May, 2008, 09:26:58 am »
It's the Ultegra version (I think), they say NA70, but I thought that it should be called a DH N70? I have an MA3 on the rear that seems to be holding up - but then I don't do the miles that others on here do.
What version of the hub is it ?

It's hard to judge the value without knowing that. I'm sure their wheelbuilding will b e fine, and anyway it is hard to mess up a front hub

I'm not sure I'd go for an MA3 rim though.  They're not all that robust or long-lasting.

vince

« Reply #4 on: 05 May, 2008, 09:28:32 am »
Do you have a link? The only thing is that my german speaking mate is on honeymoon for three weeks - do they speak english?
I have the Shimano DH-3N80 on a mavic open pro rim with an B&M IQ fly and am quite pleased.  Bought it on German ebay from a shop in Hamburg last autumn for not a lot of money.

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 05 May, 2008, 09:29:44 am »
Just as  a marker, you can get a ready-built Shimano wheel for 109 euros

http://www.roseversand.de/output/controller.aspx?cid=156&detail=10&detail2=5620

They also do just the hub for 29/53/67 euros (depends on model),

http://www.roseversand.de/output/controller.aspx?cid=156&detail=80&detail2=65&bereich=423&ebene=3

and a decent budget rim like a Rigida Chrina or a Planet X DN6 should be about £15.  Say another £12 for spokes....

That means you'd be paying about £30 for the building.

« Reply #6 on: 05 May, 2008, 09:37:41 am »
Sorry don't know how to do short links:
link

Just do Google translate

You can phone them - number on bottom of page.  The fellow's name is Coy and speaks English - very friendly and accomadating.

vince

« Reply #7 on: 05 May, 2008, 09:44:43 am »
Thanks guys.

Harvey, doubtless C-3PO will be along in a minute, but you just wrap URL tags around your link:

Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.byercycles.co.uk/31.htm]clicky text[/url]

« Reply #8 on: 05 May, 2008, 10:11:44 am »
Just as  a marker, you can get a ready-built Shimano wheel for 109 euros

http://www.roseversand.de/output/controller.aspx?cid=156&detail=10&detail2=5620

They also do just the hub for 29/53/67 euros (depends on model),

http://www.roseversand.de/output/controller.aspx?cid=156&detail=80&detail2=65&bereich=423&ebene=3

and a decent budget rim like a Rigida Chrina or a Planet X DN6 should be about £15.  Say another £12 for spokes....

That means you'd be paying about £30 for the building.

Thanks for that link MV.  I think I might just buy one and dismantle Mrs PB's front wheel.    I'm sure she'll be fine with that ...  ;D

« Reply #9 on: 06 May, 2008, 10:57:25 am »
has anyone got any experience of his wheel building?

Yes, the rear wheel on my Audax bike (as was the rest of the bike) was built by Richard Byers. Still solid as a rock after several thousand km (including lots of crappy surfaced Audaxy lanes and also London potholes).

(No idea about the front wheel as that was swapped almost straight away for a SON wheel from Bike+.)

I'd happily go to them again for more handbuilt wheels.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 06 May, 2008, 01:35:58 pm »
MA3s suck though; they have a terrible reputation for cracking round the spoke holes.  Try and get something else for the price.

Disclaimer: I have an MA3 on the back of my racing bike but that's just because I needed to swap out a bent Open 4CD and re-use the spokes - the two rims have the same ERD.  The MA3 does not like high spoke tension, and it's slacker than I'd normally build a wheel.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

border-rider

« Reply #11 on: 06 May, 2008, 01:38:09 pm »
I had them on my commuter at one time. I ripped through a pair in 3 months. The only one I have now is on the front of the trike - it has a hub brake.  To be fair it is pretty old now and has survived OK, but I'd not recommend them.  For the money there are far better rims.