Linked Events

• Up the 'Uts: 08 August, 2008 - 09 August, 2008

Author Topic: Up the 'Uts  (Read 77699 times)

Re: Up the 'Uts
« Reply #50 on: 02 July, 2008, 11:31:37 am »
I'll give that hot Dutch chick a ring in a minute.

Edit: I have no idea if she's hot or not, but she sounded hot on the phone anyway  :P

Ask her if she fancies a trip to Essex in August ;)

« Reply #51 on: 02 July, 2008, 11:31:55 am »
Actually, what are the rules of rounders?!

All I can remember is twatting the ball as hard as possible and running around some posts when batting! And when being invited to field - throwing the ball at your opponents as hard as possible!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #52 on: 02 July, 2008, 11:34:17 am »
Rounders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The main one I remember from school days is not being able to overtake a fellow batter already on the field.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #53 on: 02 July, 2008, 11:39:10 am »
I have been asked to be a Team Captain by no less persons than Charlotte & Liz.

I've thought long and hard about whether to accept this honour, but I've figured that since I can't bat, can't run and can't catch, I've got to be a brilliant captain.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #54 on: 02 July, 2008, 11:44:41 am »
I have been asked to be a Team Captain by no less persons than Charlotte & Liz.

I've thought long and hard about whether to accept this honour, but I've figured that since I can't bat, can't run and can't catch, I've got to be a brilliant captain.

I think you should accept a call from the ECB in that case!

« Reply #55 on: 02 July, 2008, 11:51:17 am »
I'm only working a half day on the Friday and will be taking a scenic route up to the Uts from the City.  The path along the Lea can be a bit bumpy in places but it's a nice ride if you're not in a rush.

Why do I have the feeling I won't be joining you... ;D

Wowbagger, do you have any of your cheap-train-ticket wisdom to offer on getting from London to the 'Uts..?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #56 on: 02 July, 2008, 11:58:53 am »
I'm only working a half day on the Friday and will be taking a scenic route up to the Uts from the City.  The path along the Lea can be a bit bumpy in places but it's a nice ride if you're not in a rush.

Wowbagger, do you have any of your cheap-train-ticket wisdom to offer on getting from London to the 'Uts..?

It's only a short journey. Lpoo St or Stratford - about 1 hour. With a Network railcard, £12.85 return. Don't go from Stratford - only Cheap Day returns available. Saver returns available from Lpoo St.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #57 on: 02 July, 2008, 12:00:31 pm »

Cycle up.  Cost: £0.00  :thumbsup:
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #58 on: 02 July, 2008, 12:05:21 pm »
Thank you Wow, I knew you would know. And revealing extraordinary ignorance - what station am I after at the 'Uts end?

Andrij - yes, but there is no way to count the cost of the extra grey hairs I will develop having tackled a track that you admit is 'a bit bumpy'! How far is it anyway?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #59 on: 02 July, 2008, 12:11:08 pm »
It's not as bad as that fun/horrible stretch of NCN1 we did on Sunday.  I haven't been on the towpath since the Spring when they were redoing some of the worst bits.  IMHO I don't think it's any worse than some of the roads in London.  But I would advise you avoid using the branch path to Bishops Stortford.

Not sure how far it is, will check this evening.  My route will be along waterways starting from St Katherine's Docks as far as I can go before switching to the roads to reach the Uts.  I may need to stop at a pub along the way.  8)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #60 on: 02 July, 2008, 12:14:51 pm »
Ferry booking is now changed for the Thursday  :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, hot Dutch chick on the phone was replaced by dull Dutch bloke called William  >:(

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #61 on: 02 July, 2008, 02:34:01 pm »
Ferry booking is now changed for the Thursday  :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, hot Dutch chick on the phone was replaced by dull Dutch bloke called William >:(

of Orange?

« Reply #62 on: 02 July, 2008, 02:36:44 pm »
Orangeness did cross my mind when he said "Dis is Villiam shspeaking"

« Reply #63 on: 02 July, 2008, 07:43:30 pm »
The Ut's I would estimate, are about 35 miles from central London.

As for the rounders, I was always picked last too. I'm not sure which team I would be in either. I am 5'8".
I think that we should play rounders in a YACF stylee, by having a beer at every post. You run to the post and can't run to the next one until you've drunk a bottle of beer. T totalers can have non alocoholic stuff.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #64 on: 02 July, 2008, 09:47:28 pm »
I've made contact with the Shaftesbury and am awaiting a return call on the viability of camping. ISTR that my in laws occasionally parked their caravan in Henham, where there is a site of sorts. No idea about costs or anything.

Latest nonsense-seekers:-

Wowbagger
Mrs Wow
Annie
Andrij
Regulator

Liz.
Charlotte
Clarion
Butterfly
Superstoker

Cuddy
Valiant
Mike
Nutkin
Roger T

Life of Brian
Zipperhead
Tiger
Notsototalnewbiewhobythetimethistakesplacewillbeanoldhandnottosayleadingexpert
Maladicta

Teethgrinder
Dave
Rower40

Bobb (camping)
Erron (camping)
Tom B (camping)

JT*
Wafflycat

That's 24 23 and three potential campers.

According to the email from the Victoria, gents sleeps 7, ladies, 2, but there's floor space, everyone brings sleeping bags anyway and they don't mind how many sleep there. I'm sure a few of us have camping mattresses we can bring. They have a one-off hire charge of £25 and £5 per person per night.

The Shaftesbury is a flat rate of £5 per person per night, and I don't think it's any smaller. I reckon 12 per hut.

What I suggest is that everyone, campers apart, sends me £11, which will pretty well cover the £25 fee and £5 per person per night. The campers can buy the beer! ;) I'll pm you my address.

« Reply #65 on: 02 July, 2008, 09:56:31 pm »
Wafflycat is unlikely to be joining us as Vernon is in plaster for the next 12 weeks or so.
Abnormal for Norfolk

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #66 on: 02 July, 2008, 09:58:06 pm »
I'm out.  :(
a great mind thinks alike

annie

« Reply #67 on: 02 July, 2008, 09:59:28 pm »
I think I may camp out, not great at being in a tiny space with lots of people, a long story that isn't really relevant here.  Will bring my tent and be in the fresh air, assuming that we will be able to get inside for the loos?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #68 on: 02 July, 2008, 10:02:35 pm »
I think I may camp out, not great at being in a tiny space with lots of people, a long story that isn't really relevant here.  Will bring my tent and be in the fresh air, assuming that we will be able to get inside for the loos?

I can't see us locking the doors at night. I'm not sure how much space there will be for tents, depending on whether anyone is intending to bring a car. Mrs. Wow and I will cycle from Saarfend.

Oh, I forgot to mention, NSTN, Elsenham is the nearest station, although Stansted Mountfitchet and Audley End are not far away.

annie

« Reply #69 on: 02 July, 2008, 10:06:05 pm »

I can't see us locking the doors at night. I'm not sure how much space there will be for tents, depending on whether anyone is intending to bring a car. Mrs. Wow and I will cycle from Saarfend.

Oh, I forgot to mention, NSTN, Elsenham is the nearest station, although Stansted Mountfitchet and Audley End are not far away.

Don't worry too much, I can find a space in a field somewhere or drive down in the morning and home again at night.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #70 on: 02 July, 2008, 10:15:15 pm »

Don't worry too much, I can find a space in a field somewhere or drive down in the morning and home again at night.

Oh no you mustn't go home at night! The best silliness happens in the hours of darkness. :demon:

« Reply #71 on: 02 July, 2008, 10:19:58 pm »

Oh no you mustn't go home at night! The best silliness happens in the hours of darkness. :demon:

Agreed, you can't be going home!  :o That would spoil everything.

Thanks Wow, I will look into tickets. Although if it is only 35 miles or thereabouts there is a chance I could cycle it if I took a half day. *If* Andrij didn't mind me tagging along and slowing him down (and flagellating him if the path is more than a bit bumpy  :demon: ) as otherwise I'd only get lost. If so I don't mind getting the train.

I have my mat that I purchased for the Zombocalypse that I can bring if I need it, I found it quite comfy.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #72 on: 02 July, 2008, 11:15:59 pm »
I can bring a tent... and let one of the laydeez have my bed.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #73 on: 02 July, 2008, 11:18:21 pm »
I've only just spotted this. I wouldn't be able to get away for the whole weekend but may possibly be able to ride across for the day on the Saturday. I'm at best a perhaps though, sorry.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #74 on: 03 July, 2008, 07:42:53 am »
Have fun peeps, my crappy holiday with the wife and mother-in law has scuppered this and the August FNRTTC.