Author Topic: Low sunlight  (Read 3457 times)

Low sunlight
« on: 11 September, 2009, 03:36:22 pm »
My commute home is basically west, and having issues with low sun dazzling me, as I can't drop my head like I would on an upright.

I assume the ever popular cycle cap is the answer? (Apart from moving of course)

Zoidburg

Re: Low sunlight
« Reply #1 on: 11 September, 2009, 04:46:48 pm »
Tinted riding glasses?

I wear my shades far more in winter than I do in the summer to be honest, especialy if it is dry clear and cold. That low winter sun is a pain in the backside.

Tim

« Reply #2 on: 11 September, 2009, 05:06:44 pm »
Glasses don't offer me protection from sun glare, a visor of some sort is the easiest option. I have been known to don a baseball cap on a couple of occasions.

It is a hardship we must endure for generally having the better view of the world ahead (particularly when the view ahead contains the sun).

Other solutions include a program of tree planting along the road to provide shade whilst you ride.

« Reply #3 on: 11 September, 2009, 07:13:49 pm »
Slightly OT.....

What annoys me is that after a few weeks it will be fine.

Then the clocks change and it starts all over again!

« Reply #4 on: 11 September, 2009, 10:33:18 pm »
I'm blessed to ride 15 miles west in the morning, and east on the way home. I didn't really think about it before I got the bike (or the fact that you sit at oncoming traffic headlight height!)

« Reply #5 on: 08 October, 2009, 07:23:38 am »
a couple of years ago a darksider was hit from behind by a car car blinded by the low sun . i do not no weather he recovered enough to ride again . , be aware and take care out there .
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #6 on: 08 October, 2009, 11:21:08 am »
Glasses don't offer me protection from sun glare, a visor of some sort is the easiest option. I have been known to don a baseball cap on a couple of occasions.

It is a hardship we must endure for generally having the better view of the world ahead (particularly when the view ahead contains the sun).

Other solutions include a program of tree planting along the road to provide shade whilst you ride.

It's not just darksiders. 

Riding home slowly in the torrential rain last night I wished I'd still had a baseball cap in the rack pack.

Riding home into the setting sun I don't find that dropping the head is sufficient.

« Reply #7 on: 09 October, 2009, 07:01:36 pm »
This hat works for me on my 'bent.  Can be worn under a helmet if you want but the peak is just right for keeping the low sun out of my eyes.
HEADSWEATS: The Everywhere Headwear. - Headsweats, Inc.
ICE Classic NT
3 Speed Langster
ICE B1
Thorn "Dog bike"
Kickback Retro.

« Reply #8 on: 09 October, 2009, 07:06:35 pm »
I avoid riding in the setting or rising sun (although the latter is generally not such a problem. ;D), if I'm having problems seeing traffic under those conditions, car drivers with smeared and dirty windows are going to have it far worse, and I'm not keen on experimenting with those odds.  Luckily I have a lot of flexibility in what time I start and leave work.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #9 on: 09 October, 2009, 08:20:13 pm »
This hat works for me on my 'bent.  Can be worn under a helmet if you want but the peak is just right for keeping the low sun out of my eyes.
HEADSWEATS: The Everywhere Headwear. - Headsweats, Inc.

Are they available in UK? The peak looks a useful angle on that.
I've started wearing a cycling cap under my helmet and a baseball cap when I'm on three wheels.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #10 on: 13 October, 2009, 09:42:56 pm »
I always seem to be coming home into the Sunset, living near the West Coast I suppose, and I recall about 3 years ago riding with my Dad on upwrongs when I stopped to do something about a bag strap that was clicking my spokes. Caught up with Dad a few minutes later at the roadside with a woman saying she had hit him from behind as they were driving into the sun and she didn't see him. I can't see how car drivers can avoid that situation to be honest.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #11 on: 27 October, 2009, 07:19:45 pm »
The Carbon Spider Visor

See visor thread - £16 posted

gordon taylor

« Reply #12 on: 27 October, 2009, 07:36:58 pm »
.... she had hit him from behind as they were driving into the sun and she didn't see him. I can't see how car drivers can avoid that situation to be honest.

Hi, It's me and the Highway Code again.

"237

Hot weather. Keep your vehicle well ventilated to avoid drowsiness. Be aware that the road surface may become soft or if it rains after a dry spell it may become slippery. These conditions could affect your steering and braking. If you are dazzled by bright sunlight, slow down and if necessary, stop."

It's easy: if you can't see, then stop.

« Reply #13 on: 27 October, 2009, 07:46:52 pm »

It's easy: if you can't see, then stop.

.....but when I am driving I am important and in a hurry, or I wouldn't be driving, and I am lord of all I survey (or can't see) ::-)

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #14 on: 27 October, 2009, 09:51:27 pm »
But if you're driving into the Sunshine and you can see what you think is enough, How do you know that there is something that you aren't seeing? 
Does that make remote sense?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #15 on: 27 October, 2009, 10:05:03 pm »
Watch for the Hun in the sun was a cry in the war comics of my young days. It inferred that the pilot payed extra special attention in that direction. There is a rule of the sea that you are responsible for keeping a proper watch whatever the weather and even if lone handed.
If you think you can see enough and you hit something then you were wrong and at fault. Otherwise SMIDSY makes a wonderful defense.
YMMV

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #16 on: 29 October, 2009, 11:12:36 am »
The woman did stop and was very apologetic, didn't try to wiggle out of it.  She gave name and address to Dad and he got the bits replaced that were damaged, she paid for them.  I understand and agree with what you're saying there Nobby.