Author Topic: HBKH Hamburg Berlin Köln Hamburg (14/08/10 to 19/08/10)  (Read 109725 times)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Re: HBKH Hamburg Berlin Koeln Hamburg
« Reply #25 on: 03 October, 2009, 10:22:02 am »
I've printed off the info, but (forgive me for being thick if it's in there somewhere) I can't see a date for this.

On the pdf:
14. bis 19. August 2010

On the website:
Start: Sa. den 14.08.2010  um 5:00 Uhr

I'd have liked to know basic details about this a few months ago.

Flyers were distributed at PBP.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #26 on: 03 October, 2009, 03:16:21 pm »
Setting off at 8am would mean that you miss the groups to ride with. Especially the first section is very flat, a good group let's you win a lot of time. At least if you set off at a time your body accepts brisk riding.
If you wish to ride a long audax at the start of august, Baltic Star has one on offer. But it's a bit cycle-cross/rough stuff style.

« Reply #27 on: 03 October, 2009, 11:22:04 pm »
A 5am start makes this event a lot less likely for me. I know that I function quite badly when I have to start at 4/5am. In complete contrast to an evening start and riding straight through the first night.

This touches on a subject that really bugs me - why do long audaxes start at stupid times? If you are going to be on a bike for upwards of 24hours why not start at a reasonable time? At the end you will be that tired that it dosen't matter what time you finish. I think particularly of 600's which insist on starting at 6am. *am would be far better.
A 5am start for a ride like this is pointless.

Don't think anyone would object if you set off @ 8.00am. With a time limit like this most people can afford to lose a few hours from the overall allowance and still have plenty of time in hand.

That may well be what I do if I do it.

simonp

« Reply #28 on: 04 October, 2009, 08:02:34 pm »
I think the 6am start for a 600 is about right.  I've tried a 9am start on a 600km permanent once.  Never again.  It meant getting to the turning point at 2am, finishing at 11pm with something like 4.5h in hand that could have been used as sleep time (this is based on 14.3kph rather than 15kph).  Because I had to get back to work the next day I
couldn't have a long break during the ride as I'd be finishing well after midnight, so had virtually no sleep on the ride.

Of course, I can do that, but with a 6am start it's much easier to fit a sleep in during the ride (especially if you are reasonably fast for the first 400km) without compromising your finish time.

On LEL with a 2.15pm start I couldn't gain very much time in hand before dark compared to an 8am start, which I'd have preferred given the choice (and it was my choice, but I entered too late).

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #29 on: 05 October, 2009, 11:44:04 am »
A 5am start makes this event a lot less likely for me. I know that I function quite badly when I have to start at 4/5am. In complete contrast to an evening start and riding straight through the first night.

Don't think anyone would object if you set off @ 8.00am. With a time limit like this most people can afford to lose a few hours from the overall allowance and still have plenty of time in hand.

Good

I do see Ivo's point about groups in the early stages but don't think it matters on a ride of this length unless you are going for a "time". Over a six day window 3 hours is insignificant., there will be plenty of opportunities to get a tow at some point.

My point was simple don't let a silly thing like a 5.00am start put you off this "Grand Adventure"

AC
I don't think you can guarantee the start control being open for 3 hours.

If you 'registered' at 0500, you're not going to get any useful sleep by 0800!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #30 on: 05 October, 2009, 12:09:22 pm »

Good

I do see Ivo's point about groups in the early stages but don't think it matters on a ride of this length unless you are going for a "time". Over a six day window 3 hours is insignificant., there will be plenty of opportunities to get a tow at some point.

My point was simple don't let a silly thing like a 5.00am start put you off this "Grand Adventure"

AC
I don't think you can guarantee the start control being open for 3 hours.

If you 'registered' at 0500, you're not going to get any useful sleep by 0800!

There was one late starter last time (3 hours IIRC, she'd ridden 200/300 km to the start), but she didn't finish.

IF (and it's a big if) the arrangements are the same as in 2006, you could pick up your card at 5 am, then return to your B&B for some kip and delay your start as late as midday, and still have 6½ hours to get to the first control at 160 km.

Me, I'll be on my bike at 5 a.m. I love an early start.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #31 on: 05 October, 2009, 03:59:44 pm »
I've printed off the info, but (forgive me for being thick if it's in there somewhere) I can't see a date for this.

There's been a recent welcome improvement on this forum. Gaze at the following snapshot of the front page:

Saltire 200k Perm - Saturday 3rd October 2009
      HBKH Hamburg Berlin Koeln Hamburg « 1 2 3 »    
      Gower Getter 200 10/10 Roll Call?
      18th October Wylye and Ebble Valley 200k - roll call
      Upper Thames 200 - 07-NOV-2009
      Mid Sussex Hillier / Hilly 24th October
      Anfractous 200km & Nyctophobic 100km, October 10th 2009

Can you see the odd one out? (Not meaning to have a go at Sabine, honestly!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Bergfloh

« Reply #32 on: 05 October, 2009, 07:14:26 pm »
Hi i am Peter.
Ivo takes me to this community.
I was driving in 2006 HBKH. I can give you information how it was in 2006.
Sorry for my bad englisch.

ääähm Sabine? Are you this Sabine? Sabine & Jack W. ?

Greatings Peter

Bergfloh

« Reply #33 on: 05 October, 2009, 08:37:14 pm »
Also i try it.

First Day:

The first Step was Großhahnsdorf / Nauen. 269.5Km
Start at 5am
First free Controlstation was in Wittenberge at km 156,9
You could bekome a stamp at a gas station or at Mc Donalds ;D
Last Checktime 1st Day 6pm

Very easy to ride. No hills. Nothing. Verry nice Nature.

The 2nd Controlstation was in Nauen nearly Berlin. Km269.5
at a supermarket.
But we bekome the 2nd Breakfast from the backroom? ??? of a car.
The Rest of the Breakfast from Großhaansdorf...breads, cakes, drinks..... :thumbsup:
last checktime: 2nd Day 3:27am

The second Step 190,7Km: Nauen Km269,5 - Ditfurt Km460,2

Through Brandenburg there where streetcar rails with cobblestones ATTENTION !!!

3. Controlstation was in Schopsdorf 73,6Km after Nauen at a Autocourt/ Gasstation with restauration
At this time we make us ready for the nightride.
Last checktime: 2nd Day 9:35am

4. Controlstation Ditfurt in a Home Museum :thumbsup:

The best Controlstation of HBKH. The Night was cold and in the Museum it was very nice warm.
Best sleeping of HBKH. Verry good meal. Verry good shower room and sponsored towels.
Sleeping underground are  Isomatte and a blanket of fleece.

Verry good wakingupservice.
At Ditfurt the "Harz" is beginning. Little Hills everytimes.
Last checktime: 2nd Day 7:21pm

2nd Day!

Ditfurt - 277Km to Messinghausen

Hill up, hill down everytime through the "Harz"

5th Controlstaton was in Lütgenrode at a gasstation or for free.Km147,4 after Ditfurt
Last checktime: 3rd Day 7:37am

6th controlstation Messinghausen 277,2km after Ditfurt 737km total
ready for sleeping.
small showerroom. it was verry cold.
Sleeping underground are  Isomatte and a blanket of fleece.
1st and 2nd Bagdropstation was here.
The last 500 meters to the controlstation was very strong hill up.
Verry good service from the personal. Thank you all.

...more next time

Peter

Sabine

• In France
« Reply #34 on: 07 October, 2009, 02:31:47 pm »
Hi Peter
Yes it is Sabine and Jack Williams

Looking forward to seeing you in Hamburg at the start.
Will PM you

Alles Gute
Sabine :thumbsup:

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #35 on: 07 October, 2009, 03:23:19 pm »

There's been a recent welcome improvement on this forum. Gaze at the following snapshot of the front page:

Saltire 200k Perm - Saturday 3rd October 2009
      HBKH Hamburg Berlin Koeln Hamburg « 1 2 3 »    
      Gower Getter 200 10/10 Roll Call?
      18th October Wylye and Ebble Valley 200k - roll call
      Upper Thames 200 - 07-NOV-2009
      Mid Sussex Hillier / Hilly 24th October
      Anfractous 200km & Nyctophobic 100km, October 10th 2009

Can you see the odd one out? (Not meaning to have a go at Sabine, honestly!)

using my super web foo I have found the following document

http://www.audaxclub-sh.de/files/Super-Brevet_Englisch.pdf

Which reveals that the date is 14th to 19th August 2010

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #36 on: 08 October, 2009, 11:15:53 am »

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #37 on: 08 October, 2009, 11:53:00 am »
Life would be easier if the thread title - like all the others I quoted - had the date in.

I did suggest this to Sabine, but either she misunderstood me or doesn't know how to change it.

This probably seems incredibly anal to most readers, but I find it very helpful :-/
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #38 on: 08 October, 2009, 12:02:45 pm »

This probably seems incredibly anal to most readers

Yes
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Sabine

• In France
Re: HBKH Hamburg Berlin Koeln Hamburg (14/08/10 to 19/08/10)
« Reply #39 on: 08 October, 2009, 12:21:07 pm »
The dates are now in the original heading for this thread.

Apologies for omitting them in the first place, didn't sort it out because I just presumed those people interested would take the time to follow the links kindly provided by others ;)

Come on everyone, enter it when the forms come out, you'll have a great time.

I promise :)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #40 on: 08 October, 2009, 12:21:34 pm »

This probably seems incredibly anal to most readers

Yes
At least I'm right about something today!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

simonp

« Reply #41 on: 08 October, 2009, 01:19:50 pm »
I must admit I had no idea you were commenting about the lack of date.

And the lack of date wasn't the only thing that was different about that thread, so I thought you were talking about something else entirely.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: HBKH Hamburg Berlin Köln Hamburg (14/08/10 to 19/08/10)
« Reply #42 on: 08 October, 2009, 04:20:56 pm »
This does look rather interesting.  I think what's particularly attractive is that it isn't an out and back route so more closely resembles a typical Audax than the other big events (see LEL discussions passim).  The only hassle is getting there, especially now that the old Harwich-Hamburg ferry, which I used many times as a youngster, is no longer running.  I guess from the south of England, harwich-Hook of Holland is the best bet, followed by a train or a couple of days' riding.

Sadly I can't commit at the moment but let's hope they will still be open for entries come the spring... :)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Graeme Wyllie

« Reply #43 on: 08 October, 2009, 04:59:11 pm »
The dates are now in the original heading for this thread.

Apologies for omitting them in the first place, didn't sort it out because I just presumed those people interested would take the time to follow the links kindly provided by others ;)

Come on everyone, enter it when the forms come out, you'll have a great time.

I promise :)

I have to put in my request for 2010 annual leave by the end of October.  Just filled the form in and the week commencing Monday 16th August is there.   :thumbsup:

Will they sell weissbeer?

Sabine

• In France
« Reply #44 on: 08 October, 2009, 05:51:31 pm »
You will be in Germany  so no control will be without beer.
Last time it was on, there were a lot of people drinking beer and I mean the cyclist not the helpers,  during the event anyway.  O:-)

« Reply #45 on: 08 October, 2009, 09:55:47 pm »
You will be in Germany  so no control will be without beer.

Now that REALLY does sound like my kind of event!!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #46 on: 09 November, 2009, 06:25:33 pm »
Just a small point regarding the rulebooks. Due to a conflict in Germany HBKH can't get LRM recognition. Which means that AUKs riding HBKH can't be sure of a direct acceptance of your HBKH for the various AUK point scores. At least if everyone leans back. So now it's time to file a request to the relevant authorities in AUK to make an exception for HBKH.

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #47 on: 10 November, 2009, 03:27:33 pm »
Just a small point regarding the rulebooks. Due to a conflict in Germany HBKH can't get LRM recognition. Which means that AUKs riding HBKH can't be sure of a direct acceptance of your HBKH for the various AUK point scores. At least if everyone leans back. So now it's time to file a request to the relevant authorities in AUK to make an exception for HBKH.

Last time we agreed to accept any claims from riders who had completed the event, but in fact we received none, as I recall.  Unlikely to be any problem this coming time either, though as an overseas event it will have to be a claim, rather than the AUK system calculating it automatically.
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

« Reply #48 on: 10 November, 2009, 04:46:58 pm »

Last time we agreed to accept any claims from riders who had completed the event, but in fact we received none, as I recall.  Unlikely to be any problem this coming time either, though as an overseas event it will have to be a claim, rather than the AUK system calculating it automatically.

:thumbsup:
Or AUK could ask Heino to hand over the list of finishers who identified themselves as AUK members. That's what I do for my BRM series.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #49 on: 10 November, 2009, 04:50:26 pm »

Last time we agreed to accept any claims from riders who had completed the event, but in fact we received none, as I recall. 

But riders were credited with AUK points whether they wanted them or not.