Author Topic: Tyres with an Orange/Beige Wall  (Read 5990 times)

blackpuddinonnabike

Tyres with an Orange/Beige Wall
« on: 07 May, 2008, 12:32:33 pm »
Anyone still do decent running tyres like this for 700c wheels? Bit old-fashioned now I guess, but I likes 'em.

Re: Tyres with an Orange/Beige Wall
« Reply #1 on: 07 May, 2008, 12:33:54 pm »
Panaracer Paselas.

Common choice for Audaxers.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #2 on: 07 May, 2008, 12:43:18 pm »
Anyone still do decent running tyres like this for 700c wheels? Bit old-fashioned now I guess, but I likes 'em.

To match your new frame? ;)

tart
Pen Pusher

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #3 on: 07 May, 2008, 12:51:53 pm »

To match your new frame? ;)

tart

Erm....  :-[

Cheers GB!

bobmick

« Reply #4 on: 07 May, 2008, 12:53:29 pm »
And I suppose you'll be going for some Brooks leather bar 'tape'  ;)

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #5 on: 07 May, 2008, 01:12:30 pm »
And I suppose you'll be going for some Brooks leather bar 'tape'  ;)

Actually, that WAS an option, but I've got some Charge 'leatherette' stuff instead. It WILL have a Brooks saddle though... I like my bikes to be 'just so' - it's why I'm rubbish at running hack bikes.

« Reply #6 on: 07 May, 2008, 01:50:45 pm »
You tart!  ;D

Veloflex look nice if you are after racy, but I guess you'll be looking for something more suited to the 'old man' look and able to handle the weight of all that leather and steel. ;)

« Reply #7 on: 07 May, 2008, 03:01:38 pm »
Out of all the god knows how many tyres that are available, there only seems to be two now with black tread and natural sidewalls; Panaracer Pasela and Veloflex 22mm Pave/20mm Black  >:( And Probikekit don't even seem to have the Veloflex Pave in stock, the 20mm Black is too narrow for anything apart from racing.

There was the Vittoria Open Corsa, but not made anymore, and Michelin Axial Sport, not a good-riding tyre though, the ride is quite harsh, in comparison to the Vittoria Open Corsa anyway.

Pic of Michelin Axial Sport
http://www.bikesheduk.com/main/Products2.asp?PR=20 I don't know if it's acurrent tyre, not many places seem to have it.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #8 on: 07 May, 2008, 03:04:15 pm »
You tart!  ;D

Guilty as charged!  ;D

Out of all the god knows how many tyres that are available, there only seems to be two now with black tread and natural sidewalls....

Natural, that's the word I was looking for!

It really does seem like they've fallen well and truly out of fashion. Which is for the worse if you ask me.

« Reply #9 on: 07 May, 2008, 03:12:13 pm »
When I got it I put some new ones on my old Peugeot which are Schwalbe and they happened to have the natural sidewall, but those wheels are a very odd size. 650B I think, Brixton Cycles had to order them in. I'd forgotten until I went to visit her at the weekend.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 07 May, 2008, 03:17:18 pm »
The rather good Vredestein Fortezza TriComp 700 x 23c can be had in orange.

http://www.entro.com.sg/images/vred_fortezza_tricomp_orang.gif
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #11 on: 07 May, 2008, 03:20:07 pm »
The rather good Vredestein Fortezza TriComp 700 x 23c can be had in orange.

http://www.entro.com.sg/images/vred_fortezza_tricomp_orang.gif

You gotta ta be  **** kidding :o ;D

« Reply #12 on: 07 May, 2008, 03:22:45 pm »
When I got it I put some new ones on my old Peugeot which are Schwalbe and they happened to have the natural sidewall, but those wheels are a very odd size. 650B I think, Brixton Cycles had to order them in. I'd forgotten until I went to visit her at the weekend.

I think they're probably made for a specific niche market, which simply wouldn't put up with all black/multi-coloured tyres.

« Reply #13 on: 07 May, 2008, 03:27:07 pm »
You tart!  ;D

Guilty as charged!  ;D

Out of all the god knows how many tyres that are available, there only seems to be two now with black tread and natural sidewalls....

Natural, that's the word I was looking for!

It really does seem like they've fallen well and truly out of fashion. Which is for the worse if you ask me.

Well, one must maintain some standards :D, if one give in to all-black/multi-coloured tyres, what's next? compact frames, oversized tubing, threadless stems...

rogerzilla

« Reply #14 on: 07 May, 2008, 03:34:42 pm »
Have a look on fleabay and see of Paul Milnes Cycles are still selling NOS Spesh Turbo S tyres for a fiver each.  Natural amber wall, very, very light and fast yet curiously puncture-resistant.  They're sold as 25mm but they're more like 20mm.

« Reply #15 on: 07 May, 2008, 03:44:08 pm »
They're sold as 25mm but they're more like 20mm.

That's probably why they still have them, 20mm is just too narrow if you're not racing.

That inaccurate sizing of tyres was annoying, I remember having to get a Spesh 700x32 to actually end up with 28mm tyre.

rogerzilla

« Reply #16 on: 07 May, 2008, 03:54:04 pm »
I'm a skinny tyre fiend.  Given identical construction, skinny tyres puncture less often (they touch less of the thorn- and glass-infested road), and they look cool.

border-rider

« Reply #17 on: 07 May, 2008, 03:58:40 pm »
I'm a skinny tyre fiend.  Given identical construction, skinny tyres puncture less often (they touch less of the thorn- and glass-infested road), and they look cool.

But they're slower.  Believe it.

« Reply #18 on: 07 May, 2008, 04:00:27 pm »
(they touch less of the thorn- and glass-infested road)

Shirley it equals out as with a smaller contact patch means greater downward pressure and therefore more likely for something to go into the tyre compared to a wider tyre where the load is spread over a larger contact patch?

border-rider

« Reply #19 on: 07 May, 2008, 04:03:02 pm »
(they touch less of the thorn- and glass-infested road)

Shirley it equals out as with a smaller contact patch

They only have a smaller contact patch if you inflate them to higher pressures.  Same pressure, same size contact patch.

rogerzilla

« Reply #20 on: 07 May, 2008, 04:11:26 pm »
Depends on your speed and the road surface.  On rough roads, yes.  On a smooth road at high speed, the higher pressure of a narrow tyre is beneficial, as is the reduced wind resistance.

It all pales into insignificance if the construction is poor, though.

I don't believe higher pressure (a narrow tyre should have higher pressure) increases punctures; normally it's a Good Thing as it reduces the risk of pinch punctures.  Embedding of glass seems to be down to the hardness/stickiness of rubber used on the tread rather than anything else.

At equal pressure, should you for some reason want to do this, a narrower tyre has the same size contact patch, but it's a long thin one rather than a short wide one.  The short wide one will hit more nasties.

« Reply #21 on: 07 May, 2008, 04:15:17 pm »
At equal pressure, should you for some reason want to do this, a narrower tyre has the same size contact patch, but it's a long thin one rather than a short wide one.  The short wide one will hit more nasties.

Fair point.

Zoidburg

« Reply #22 on: 07 May, 2008, 05:49:27 pm »
Panaracer Paselas used to be skinwall, these days they are black IIRC

Mine are black

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #23 on: 07 May, 2008, 05:57:33 pm »
The 700x25 Paselas I bought last year have natural (beige) skin sidewalls.  These were the latest version at the time.  They are still pictured with beige sidewalls on Wiggle.

Zoidburg's post above is the first I've heard about an all-black version.

I would prefer black.  Beige sidewalls look nasty once dirty.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

bikenerd

« Reply #24 on: 07 May, 2008, 05:59:03 pm »
Schwalbe Delta Cruiser come in all sorts of sizes and are available in "gumwall"
Delta Cruiser 700x32c gumwall.
You might have to ask your LBS to order them.
If you can get NOS Conti Top Touring 2000 are available in gumwall as well.  Bikeplus have 2 for 20 quid at the moment in 700x32.  You used to be able to get 700x28.  The ones on my fixie are still going after 4 winters.  Allthough the back one is cut to ribbons and should be changed really.  :o