Author Topic: Planning permission for a flue?  (Read 4578 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Planning permission for a flue?
« on: 08 May, 2008, 02:58:32 pm »
Does one generally require planning permission for a flue (for a wood-burning stove)?  The house isn't listed or anything and hasn't been previously extended.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Planning permission for a flue?
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2008, 03:01:40 pm »
AFAIK (and I am not a planning officer) no you do not, you will however to comply with building regs though...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2008, 03:02:33 pm »
Not planning permission I don't think, but you'd likely require Building Regs approval  or have it done by an approved installer.  This is just the same as replacing windows or hot water tanks now.  Most big companies can self-certify; if not, it's easy to get building regs approval done by the local council

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stove_building_regulations.html

edit: cross post with tiermat

« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2008, 03:02:58 pm »
I dont think so, but suggest you give'em an anonymous call to check... if it's on the front aspect of the house they might be a bit funny about it.

Air Dancer

« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2008, 03:06:03 pm »
Legally, if you are installing yourself you need permission.

If you get someone in to do the work and they are HETAS registered and approved, no you do not need planning. An HETAS installer will give you a cert to say everything has been done hunkydory.

rogerzilla

« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2008, 08:23:03 pm »
I dont think so, but suggest you give'em an anonymous call to check... if it's on the front aspect of the house they might be a bit funny about it.

No, it's up a side which faces nothing except a school playing field.

annie

« Reply #6 on: 08 May, 2008, 08:35:32 pm »
We wanted to install an Aga and were told we would need planning permission for the flue, even though it would have to go up through the roof.

« Reply #7 on: 08 May, 2008, 10:04:17 pm »
I am not a planning officer but I know there are two types of property where the outward appearance is strongly protected: listed buildings and those which fall within a Conservation Area. Note 'Conservation Areas' in this sense are nothing to do with wild life but are to do with an areas of architectural significance or character. This can even include restricting the colours you can paint the exterior of your house.

Is this the case for you Annie?

Matthew

« Reply #8 on: 08 May, 2008, 10:12:34 pm »
Also, if you're in a Smoke Free Zone you'll need the appliance to be certified for use in such an area.  There's a website (sorry, can't remember the link) that you can search to see if you're in a smokeless patch- but your local planning dept should also be able to advise.

rogerzilla

« Reply #9 on: 09 May, 2008, 06:40:13 am »
We're definitely not smoke free, nor in a conservation area, and we'd be using a professional installer.

annie

« Reply #10 on: 09 May, 2008, 07:59:34 am »
I am not a planning officer but I know there are two types of property where the outward appearance is strongly protected: listed buildings and those which fall within a Conservation Area. Note 'Conservation Areas' in this sense are nothing to do with wild life but are to do with an areas of architectural significance or character. This can even include restricting the colours you can paint the exterior of your house.

Is this the case for you Annie?

Matthew

Conservation area, probably.  The house was delisted some years ago. 

« Reply #11 on: 10 May, 2008, 12:42:07 am »
Rog, see
http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/generate_your_own_energy/planning_permission_for_renewable_energy_technologies

specifically, under the general permitted development order:

Biomass boilers and stoves, and CHP:

Permitted unless:

* flue exceeds 1m above the roof height
    * installed on the principal elevation and visible from a road in buildings in Conservation Areas and World Heritage Sites.

Colin

rogerzilla

« Reply #12 on: 10 May, 2008, 07:39:25 am »
Cool (or warm).  Thanks.