Linked Events

• Wicklow 200: 08 June, 2008

Author Topic: Wicklow 200  (Read 7356 times)

Wicklow 200
« on: 31 March, 2008, 12:48:33 am »
This year it's on June 8th.  Registration is still open by post and online and costs €42.

According to the counter on the homepage as I type this there are 69 days 6hours and 14 minutes left until the start. I'd better stop surfing and start training then.  ;)
What's this bottom line for anyway?

Re: Wicklow 200
« Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2008, 11:21:12 am »
I'm considering doing this... well, I am a little further on than that - I've entered and my flights are booked. I'm bricking it due to lack of fitness and I'm considering a swap to the 100.
Any other yACFers doing this?

« Reply #2 on: 02 May, 2008, 12:57:46 pm »
I'll be doing it and you won't be less fit than me.  Last year I started with a hangover and didn't think I'd get throught the first 20K but I did make the 200 (eventually!).  You don't have to formally declare which distance you'll do but if the route is the same as last year the split is quite early.  By the time I got there I still didn't think I'd go the full distance but didn't want to finish early so I persevered.

« Reply #3 on: 02 May, 2008, 02:29:09 pm »
What time did you get back to base, Séamas?

I'll do my best between now and then... I have only done one 200 this year  :-[  as I was briefly disheartened with Audax.

« Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2008, 10:58:18 pm »
I think I finished around 7:30pm.  After my slow start the lack of fitness slowed me down for the last couple of hours!  ;D You know that frustrating level of fitness that doesn't quite let you hang on to the back of fitter, faster groups, I spent most of the day riding on my own, but I was still overtaking some people right up to the end.  There's always somebody worse off than yourself.  ;)

« Reply #5 on: 11 May, 2008, 04:11:41 pm »
As an indicator of my current level of fitness, today I went from home in Lurgan to Spelga Dam in the middle of the Mourne Mountains.  Total distance was just under 102km (my longest run so far this year) and my average speed was 20kph (on the bike). Total time including stops was 5h25m, so I reckon I'll be using all the time available on June 8th!  :D

« Reply #6 on: 11 May, 2008, 05:38:51 pm »
I'm from between Hillsborough and Moira, Séamas, not too far away! (Live in London now).

I've ridden up to Spelga many times in my youth. Is that fairly typical of the climbs in the 200?

I reckon an average of 20 km/h on that route was pretty good going!

« Reply #7 on: 12 May, 2008, 12:14:33 am »
The climb to Spelga is similar to some of those in Wicklow, just not as long.  The hills in and out of Rathfriland were steeper but a lot shorter. Main thing is I got there and back which means I'm happy about my survival in 4 weeks time!  ;D

« Reply #8 on: 12 May, 2008, 05:13:07 pm »
This is a ride I'd really like to do, but it clashes with something else this year, so will have to have a go next time around.

Do they still have helmet compulsion for this ride?  It wouldn't stop me doing it, but is a bit of a faff.

AC

'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #9 on: 12 May, 2008, 08:11:21 pm »
The climb to Spelga is similar to some of those in Wicklow, just not as long.

Gulp.

I did email the organiser on the helmet question - no reply.

« Reply #10 on: 12 May, 2008, 09:23:05 pm »
When you register for the ride you "agree" to wear a helmet. Most people do wear hats but not all of them8)

I need to find the software discs that came with my HAC4, then I can upload the Spelga profile for you to compare with Slieve Maan ( the hardest climb on the W200).  You can't quite see enough detail but Paul Kavanagh's website has profiles for the W200 and the Hilly 125 which includes Spelga.

« Reply #11 on: 12 May, 2008, 09:42:08 pm »
Thanks Séamas.

Looking through the photos, does any of this ride go downhill?  :P

Seriously I see from the profile that I'd better put on new brake pads.

My plan at present is to go home on the Friday, and take the train down on the Saturday, and stay in Belfield the night before the ride.

« Reply #12 on: 12 May, 2008, 09:50:31 pm »
Like a lot of these rides the start and finish are at the same place so in theory there's just as much downhill as uphill. Unfortunately, for those of us stuck in the real world the uphill takes an awful lot longer than the downhill so it seems like there's much more of the former.

« Reply #13 on: 12 May, 2008, 09:53:48 pm »
I think it's just that ride photographers derive pleasure from watching people contort their pain-wracked features into something vaguely human, so only take pics at the end of long climbs.

What's it like for refreshment availability en route, Séamas?

Martin

« Reply #14 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:04:02 pm »
This is another ride on my "to do" list but Lap the Lough is likely to take precedence even though it's a pig to get to.

« Reply #15 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:11:16 pm »
If this trip goes well (in terms of bike transport) I'll be considering that ride too - easier for me than the Wicklow travel-wise as my dad can just drive me to the start, or I could even ride to the start from my parents' house.

I'm combining the Wicklow with a day or two at home (NI) hence the plane to Belfast and the train down South to the start.

Martin

« Reply #16 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:13:41 pm »
How far is the LTL start from Belfast (Int)?

« Reply #17 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:25:12 pm »
A map.

18.9 miles.

It's also pretty easy to get to from Belfast "George Best"  :) City airport.

Martin

« Reply #18 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:30:31 pm »
City Airport no use from Gatwick but 18.9 miles is a doddle; thanks.

« Reply #19 on: 13 May, 2008, 12:55:40 am »
If LTL is the same route as the previous two you'll end up doing those 18.9 miles three times, but as I live only 2 miles from the start I could pick you up and drop you off.

Must give Sid a shout over on "not yet an****er cy***ng f***m" as I haven't seen him here and the online registration isn't up and running yet.  :-\

On W200 the only refreshments are at the official stops and have been of variable quality.  Usually there are enough bananas, Mars bars, cups of tea and fruit juices to keep you going but the sandwiches haven't been that reliable!  There are enough shops and pubs along the route that things can be bought, but remember that it's on a Sunday so if you're running late it could be hard to find somewhere open towards the end of the ride.

« Reply #20 on: 29 May, 2008, 01:50:44 pm »
I'm so unprepared for this it's sad.  :(

The 200 would probably kill me. I may switch to the 100. I'll be there the night before so hopefully there'll be a few old hands around to advise.

« Reply #21 on: 29 May, 2008, 02:34:29 pm »
I'm so unprepared for this it's sad.  :(

That makes two of us, we can push each other round!  :D

Have a look at the route on the website. Start with the 200 route and you'll get to a checkpoint at Laragh where you can bail back on to the 100 route if you're not feeling good.  Last year I had this in mind but by the time I got to Laragh obstinacy had set in so I did the whole thing.

« Reply #22 on: 04 June, 2008, 01:40:22 pm »
YHPM

« Reply #23 on: 09 June, 2008, 01:11:22 am »
OK, both forum members who started this ride managed to finish.  Sergeant Pluck, despite claiming he didn't have enough hilly miles in his legs got round the full route really well.  He started earlier than me, and while I think I was catching him early on my own lack of miles (hilly or otherwise) slowed me down later in the day and he finished comfortably ahead of me.

Full ride reports to follow when oxygen re-starts to  flow from our lungs into the bloodstream!  :D

« Reply #24 on: 10 June, 2008, 10:36:13 am »
Just back in London after a rather busy weekend to take in this fantastic ride  :)

First of all thanks to Seamas for bringing the ride to my attention in the first place as otherwise I might never have heard of it.

Firstly I flew to Belfast on Friday with the bike packed in its new box, reassembled it on Saturday morning at my parents' house, and went to Portadown to get the train to Dublin that afternoon. At least 50% of the passengers on the Dublin train were en route to hen or stag nights and dressed accordingly...

I had booked accommodation at the start of the ride (UCD at Belfield in the south of the city), so rode across the Liffey, checked out a few of my old haunts from over 20 years ago, and had a pleasant spin of a few km out to the campus. I was student at UCD once upon a time in the 80s - the changes in Dublin and in the campus itself are tremendous. Even within the campus it took me a while to find any of the original buildings.

Located my room (no problem bringing the bike inside, thankfully), got a few rations in, checked the bike over, and had an early night. The car parks were filling rapidly with cars and vans loaded with lots of carbon bling  :)

Up at 5.30, and at the start for 6.30 - with 1700 entries I wanted to avoid getting caught up in the queues. A quick swipe of the control card and I was off just before 7.

Here is the route as per my HCx:

Wicklow 200 on Bikely.

Very quickly the route took us out of Dublin through Enniskerry and into the beginnings of the Wicklow hills - there were a few early glimpses of the climbs to come later. The views and sights en route were absolutely fantastic, gorgeous countryside. Gradually we climbed up on to open hills. The climbs were mostly lonmg drags - suited me well as I found I could get into a rhythm quite well while remaining seated. It was a matter of avoiding the temptation of trying to keep up with those passing me and staying within my own limits. The climbs were all rewarded with good downhills with lots of open corners and good visibility where you could really let the bike go.

I saw a couple of tandems out, one of which was a Burley, but most unusual was someone on a 46 lb Royal Mail post bike complete with plastic crate on the front, who zoomed past me fairly early on. He was in training for the Transalp mountain bike run. Well done to him! I didn't see any fixies and only one or two steel bikes, one of which was a Roberts. There were quite a few commuter type bikes, and I saw one person complete the 200 on a full suss MTB.

The route was signed by way of stencils painted onto the road at junctions, coupled with warning signs at danger points. Worked really well, far better than a route sheet. However, around Djouce and coming into town there were definitely still stencils there from last year's route which was briefly confusing once or twice. I suspect a small group of us took an old W200 route back into town, I don't think there is meant to be a split there. I think this caught Seamas out too. Roads were in general really quite apart from a short stretch on the N?81. Drivers were unfailingly patient and courteous. Controls were fairly well spaced out but did not take long to negotiate despite the numbers. Food provision was adequate; my only gripe was a the lack of water at the top of Slieve Maan so that you were forced to use the provided Powerade for a while - it was vile and I got rid of it as soon as I reached Rathdrum.

At some point my replacement Sigma computer started playing up again  ::-) which threw me a little as I like to have an idea of how far on I am. It would also have given info as to the total distance, as I had forgotten to zero my Garmin odometer at the start of the ride. I get 198.1 km according to Bikely but figures vary, :I heard quite a few people saying it was closer to 185 km. My Bikely profile gives me 2393 m of climb which seems a little low... I see someone else's profile on Garmin connect gives over 4000 m of climb (page is slow to load):

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/168079

(I've just read that the above route data is incomplete due to battery failure. Also it is definitely not 4000m of climing  ;D , more like 2600 m).

No matter, the route swept us along utterly beguiling small roads up and through the hills. Maximum speed for me was 48.5 mph  ;D before my computer gave up the ghost entirely. I suspect I may have been fractionally faster later.

Despite the large number of entries the road never seemed too crowded, although I did leave pretty early. One thing that struck me was how friendly everyone was (this applies to Dublin in general over the weekend), very engaging and relaxed. Great crack all the way round  ;D There was a lot of swearing, the Irish must be the most prolific cursers of all.

It was great to see quite a few locals out here and there clapping us along; everyone had a smile for us.

I force fed myself all the way round with energy bars and gels (and unlike a good few of the participants I took my rubbish back with me  ::-) ) and kept up the fluid intake and generally found the ride very manageable - much less pain involved than in my few previous 200s. I usually find the pace of Audax groups too fast for me but in this event there was always someone going at the right speed... I even got a couple of unnecessary apologies along the way from people hanging on to my wheel :). Most unusual.

Many thanks to to Irish Veteran Cyclist Association for organising this ride - an superb job by all. There was plenty of support all the way round.

A truly gorgeous part of the world and I for one will be heading back next year. My only regret is that my camera is off being repaired so I have no photos to share with you.

198 km in around 10 hrs 15 mins for me.

I had been texting Seamas throughout the day, and I finally bumped into him at the finish - great to meet you, Seamas! and I look forward to Lap the Lough.  :)