Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2521998 times)

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #10075 on: 24 May, 2012, 09:15:43 am »
Fantastic ride in this morning.

My first cycle commute accompanied by my fiancé :)

She was a bit worried by the traffic and went too quickly, but once we got off the main road and onto the trail that goes all the way to work, she was very happy.

Lovely ride in the sunshine. Really sets you up for the day  :D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10076 on: 24 May, 2012, 09:26:03 am »
Almost 30km in yesterday, and, after work, met Crock of Gold & Mice from CC, and Jurek, you all know, in Trafalgar Square for a pootle.  We headed down The Mall (biig mistake - avoid till after Jubilation) to Richmond Park.  We picked up another rider along the way, did a lap of the Park (during which the fifth rider peeled off homeward, and after which Jurek had to shoot off), then met Butterfly, and went for a drink or two in The Roebuck, watching an orange sun turn to red as it sank over the best view in London.

Then I rode home through the Park with Butterfly, and weaved through the streets homeward.  A shade over 55km.  Lovely.

This morning, Butterfly wasn't commuting in so early, so I used my previous commute along CS7.  Quite a few fast lads out, but also some idiots who didn't know how to ride a bike. :(

But it was a speedy ride overall, and I really enjoyed it.  I'm expecting a very sunny ride home this afternoon...
Getting there...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #10077 on: 24 May, 2012, 09:39:59 am »
Friday commute onna Thursday.  Close passes by BMWs=3, by WVM=too many to count, on double corners when riding in the lane=one.  Thumbs up to Rodgers of York furniture van for the fast-ish but proper wide overtake.  Thumbs down to the Macdonalds of York furniture van, immediately behind him, for passing at the same speed with his wing mirror above my head.  Good job I'm a shortarse.... that's made all my future furniture purchasing decisions easier!  Sunshine, going Officially Bloody Fast when taking the lane at one point and it being appreciated by the truck behind, eponymous album by Allo Darlin' playing with the volume turned up to 11.  Bloomin' marvellous :)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10078 on: 24 May, 2012, 10:26:31 am »
bumping down the road like a sack of angry leprechauns

Do we have a Simile of the Day award? If not, we should establish one just for this. Marvellous.

Seriously, how late do I have to be to avoid that shit.

If my experience is anything to go by, at least three hours.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #10079 on: 24 May, 2012, 12:57:37 pm »
We headed down The Mall (biig mistake - avoid till after Jubilation)

Yep, that's altered my commute somewhat for the foreseeable future, definitely worth swerving. What time did you go through the area? There was a broken down coach slap bang in the middle of Buckingham Palace Road at about 6:45ish, right across the junction just as you come up to Victoria station. The traffic was delightful as I'm sure you can imagine!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10080 on: 24 May, 2012, 01:28:59 pm »
About 1820, I suppose.  Bad enough even then.  Road Closed signs, security chaps ensuring cyclists dismount, vague tourists, clueless scaffers...
Getting there...

« Reply #10081 on: 24 May, 2012, 06:41:31 pm »
first commute by bike for what feels like months due to work load and a convenient train.

What glorious conditions for a 15 mile trip. :thumbsup:

« Reply #10082 on: 24 May, 2012, 07:36:12 pm »
Managed to leave the house early this morning and extended the ride in to 20 miles, and extended the ride home to 21.5 (though I had to work that out on gmaps as I paused my computer at some point and forgot to get it going again  ::-)).

Lovely riding in the sun though I am getting mighty tired of the buggly bugs, especially the clouds of midges what keep trying to fill my mouth and eyes.

Now trying to decide whether to go camping after work tomorrow or go for a long night ride.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10083 on: 25 May, 2012, 09:17:03 am »
Lovely lovely ride.  Wel, as lovely as any ride through South London can be.  Glorious sunshine, hundreds of cyclists.  A very careful and considerate scrap metal truck driver.  Just a few numpties boiling in their mobile ovens.

I set off with Butterfly, who was on her Van Nicholas almost unladen.  That meant we could get a good pace up, and were on my commuting speed.

She was going to turn round at Mitcham Common, but decided to accompany me to Tooting Bec instead, which was delightful.  Then I kept on along CS7 past my normal exit and round Marshalsea before looping in to work.  I didn't have as long as normal, but managed 20km and still got to my desk at time.

I've not been commuting up CS7 much lately, so it was nice to see a couple of folk I recognise along the way. :)
Getting there...

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #10084 on: 25 May, 2012, 09:17:17 am »
Last night.  At last, the first patches of not yellow observed in the blanket coverage of OSR that we seem to have hereabouts.   Only several dozen fields left to go over.  Here's hoping the continuing hot weather brings it all to an end sooner rather than later.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #10085 on: 25 May, 2012, 09:17:35 am »
On the final approach to the Death Star's exhaust pipe (or the last mile of the A52 into Derby which, lined either side by slow moving traffic switching lanes like motorised versions of the kids on Runaround, is almost as dangerous) I was conscious of being tailed by a motor bike.

I usually pull over to let them by, but there wasn't a convenient break in the traffic on either side of me, and we were almost at Pentagon Island anyway.

As the lanes split he scooted around me, but we ended up side by side at the lights.

He looked at my bike and said "My way's better".

I responded "My way's more fun".

The lights changed and he left me in a cloud of exhaust fumes stalled with half of Derby watching!

I laughed all the rest of the way to work.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10086 on: 25 May, 2012, 09:26:37 am »
;D  On a similar note, I was riding over Westminster Bridge the other night, and wanting to turn right.  The junction's been changed, and the road markings are a bit confusing, but the PCSO should have known his three wheeled scooter thing was in an ASL.

Lights changed, and he went charging off into a group of tourists still crossing Victoria Embankment.  I'd been holding back, waiting for them to clear.  The PCSO started yelling at people to get off the road, and gesticulating.

Of course - you've guessed it - he stalled in the middle of a group of tourists.  I rode by, as the pedestrians had cleared the other lane.  Tourists laughed and took photos.  PCSO steamed off at high speed.

Actually, I almost forgot.  I next saw him at the turn into Northumberland Avenue, where he was half in the ASL, beside another Police person (perhaps a real officer) on a motorbike.  I heard the words 'Did you hear what he said?' referring to a crackled communication on the radio, ' "I'd give that a good pounding".  Well, I'd do her myself...'

Lights changed.  We went our different ways.  Or, rather, we went the same way, but in our different manners.
Getting there...

« Reply #10087 on: 25 May, 2012, 10:31:20 am »
Not bad weather for commuting at the moment.  A trifle warm, but a lot better than the same conditions on public transport. ;D

Why is it that anything even vaguely anomalous, weatherwise, seems to bring out the worst in people?  There are also an additional load of wobbly once a year cyclists, who seen the sun out, and decided to dust off their bikes and go for a bimble.  Relatively safe, so long as you give them plenty of room. ;D

Rather oddly I saw a Qatar plated sports car, turning into the new development on Queenstown Road, between the QVC building and the river.  The plates were almost entirely in Arabic characters, which I can't believe is legal in the UK.  The only bits in "English" characters were very small writing around the periphery (including the word Qatar, hence my identification), much the same as the "Made by Bloggs Motors" stuff we have on our plates.  I've seen cars with Arabic plates in the past, but they've also had western characters on them, presumably a different format for the same identification information.  Purely Arabic characters seems a little odd, since most UK police officers (and for that matter, machine recognition systems) aren't going to be able to deal with them, at all.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #10088 on: 25 May, 2012, 07:17:28 pm »
Saw Miss Dan the Younger's assembly then went to work gently on calm 10am roads and managed not to need a shower after.  However, the gentle downhill on the way home is too much temptation and I need one now.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
On the commute today
« Reply #10089 on: 25 May, 2012, 08:03:47 pm »
Heavy traffic, heavy saddlebag, heavy weather, heavy legs, heavy heart...

Heavy, man.

At least the sun is still shining. Sigh.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #10090 on: 25 May, 2012, 08:30:03 pm »
Miserable slog with tired legs into 20mph headwinds for 25miles. meh
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #10091 on: 25 May, 2012, 09:11:17 pm »
Well that's the first full five days inna row I've done in ages. surprisingly unsore though my legs were a tad heavy into the headwind this morning.

Extended the ride home to 20miles again but have failed to do anything else since getting in except eat and slob about. Don't think I'll be camping or going on a night ride today.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

simonp

« Reply #10092 on: 25 May, 2012, 09:39:36 pm »
It’s not just me who finds the area around Fen Road a magnet for shit, aggressive drivers:

http://www.cambs.police.uk/myneighbourhood/priorities.asp?teamcode=201

Continue the work to tackle anti-social driving in Fen Road, High Street and water Lane, East Chesterton

Recently, the bollards between Ferry Lane and Fen Road were replaced with metal ones. It turns out this is because the locals had sawn the old wooden ones down to create a rat run between Fen Road and the High Street via Ferry Lane (which is not suitable for any significant volume of traffic). These are the same people driving up and down those streets, and it’s right on my commute route.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #10093 on: 25 May, 2012, 10:09:54 pm »
It’s not just me who finds the area around Fen Road a magnet for shit, aggressive drivers:

http://www.cambs.police.uk/myneighbourhood/priorities.asp?teamcode=201

Interesting link on that page - "View antisocial behaviour minimum standards in your area".  ???

Don't they let you live there if you're not antisocial enough? :)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10094 on: 27 May, 2012, 12:09:51 pm »
I popped to the shops today on my bike and noticed a freshly dead badger on my commuting route.

It won't stay fresh for long.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #10095 on: 27 May, 2012, 09:11:34 pm »
It will if you put it in the freezer.

Badger casserole FTW! :thumbsup:

« Reply #10096 on: 28 May, 2012, 07:46:12 am »
Jurek.

Ok. So let's give this another go then.

Jurek

« Reply #10097 on: 28 May, 2012, 08:07:56 am »
Jurek.

Jurek
You spelt it correctly the fist time.  :P

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10098 on: 28 May, 2012, 08:54:02 am »
Rather pleased by that. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #10099 on: 28 May, 2012, 09:08:44 am »
Jurek.

Jurek

*Happy dance for Jurek!* :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.