Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2519313 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #10450 on: 28 June, 2012, 11:38:28 pm »
Looks about bottom bracket height to me.  Maybe a bit more.

Of course, it's more serious than that, as it's Basil's route home from the pub.  I'm sure Nothing would happen.
;D
No, not tonight, Kim.   :)
If nothing's going to happen, it tends to be a bit further back, on Goose Alley, onna Friday night.  :-[
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10451 on: 28 June, 2012, 11:44:12 pm »

I've just noticed the traffic lights are off in this photo.  Water in the electrickery?

simonp

« Reply #10452 on: 28 June, 2012, 11:48:14 pm »
If so, I hope that chap’s boots are well-insulated.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #10453 on: 28 June, 2012, 11:50:10 pm »
They were still off this evening.  The road was officially closed with barriers and stuff.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #10454 on: 29 June, 2012, 12:29:02 am »
Unable to cycle to work earlier, had to take the car.
M32,M4 & M5 at rush hour are not to be recommended  :hand:

« Reply #10455 on: 29 June, 2012, 02:40:38 am »
Weird all these mentions of WEATHER. It was very sunny here this afternoon and so dry I mowed the lawn!

« Reply #10456 on: 29 June, 2012, 09:09:07 am »
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #10457 on: 29 June, 2012, 09:40:26 am »
Weird all these mentions of WEATHER. It was very sunny here this afternoon and so dry I mowed the lawn!

Indeed.  It was swelteringly hot here yesterday.  It's not as sunny today, but it's not cool or wet to any noticeable degree.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #10458 on: 29 June, 2012, 09:41:16 am »
My Friday Legs did not appreciate the headwind this morning.  >:(  I shan't be doing the full 40km commute today, and may even struggle to hit 30km (my target average).  I just hope the wind continues for the following two evenings - should make the FNRttC and DunRun a bit quicker. :)

Yesterday, for the first time in ages (ever?) I did a summer commute wearing a helmet.  (I usually only wear one when dusk and the evening commute coincide as my old helmet has a torch mount.)  Can't say I enjoyed it, but at least my new lid (arrived Wednesday, my old one is cheap and ancient), a Kask K10, is lighter and all around 'better' than the old one.  I'll do a few more commutes with it before the end of July to get used to it as I'll have to wear one in Spain (teh Law).
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

spindrift

« Reply #10459 on: 29 June, 2012, 07:04:01 pm »
Sprayed by the windscreen washers of a black hatchback. Used to get that a fair bit in London.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #10460 on: 29 June, 2012, 11:34:01 pm »
Soaked in a cloudburst, and swore out loud at the closest of close passes to date.  2 inches from my knuckles, I swear.

Plus sunshine, and choons and miles and smiles :)

simonp

« Reply #10461 on: 29 June, 2012, 11:46:49 pm »
Hmm. Saw a Hercules doing a circuit. Then it came in on final almost right over my head. Took a pic of the new wind farm. Saw a woman sculling in the river. Saw a guy coming the other way on fixed.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #10462 on: 30 June, 2012, 12:51:39 am »
Did the Uxbridge Commute today.  37.5 miles each way.  2 hr 12 with a tailwind there.  2hr 15min with big legs into a stonking headwind on the way back.  Looks like the Mille Alba did me good  ;D
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #10463 on: 01 July, 2012, 05:03:14 pm »
Sprayed by the windscreen washers of a black hatchback. Used to get that a fair bit in London.

Newsflash-Newsflash-Newsflash-Newsflash-Newsflash-Newsflash-Newsflash-Newsflash-Newsflash-Newsflash-Newsflash-Newsflash-Newsflash-Newsflash

In a unprecendented joint campaign between CAMERA (The Campaign for Real Ale) and the CTC (Cylist's Touring Club), MPs are to be lobbyed to support a new Bill legislating on the alchohol content of all screenwash sold in the UK. It is proposed that from April the 1st 2013, all screenwash will be, in varying concentration according to season, a solution comprised solely of micro-brewed ale.

The MP for Tunbridge Wells has joined forces with MPs representing other middle class bastions proposing an ammendment to include wine and gin and tonic solutions. Rumour has it that Alex Salmond is proposing to table a Scotch Whisky clause at the  Edinburgh assembly.

Newsflash-Newsflash-Newsflash-Newsflash-Newsflash-Newsflash-Newsflash-Newsflash-Newsflash-Newsflash-Newsflash-Newsflash-Newsflash-Newsflash
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Si_Co

« Reply #10464 on: 02 July, 2012, 07:55:44 am »
First half was tough today, heavy legs and a headwind. Second half was a blast, got a scooter on the dual carriageway  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10465 on: 02 July, 2012, 08:54:17 am »
Had a yob get out of his car and swing a leg trying to kick me off this morning.  I suppose I'll report it, but I really don't expect anything to be done.  Not least because I doubt if the driver owned the car, and I would faint with surprise if it had genuine plates on.  But also because Met...cyclist...
Getting there...

« Reply #10466 on: 02 July, 2012, 09:04:31 am »
Had a yob get out of his car and swing a leg trying to kick me off this morning.  I suppose I'll report it, but I really don't expect anything to be done.  Not least because I doubt if the driver owned the car, and I would faint with surprise if it had genuine plates on.  But also because Met...cyclist...

Sounds horrid... any cause, perceived slight? Not suggesting that it makes it acceptable or even understandable in the slightest, just curious.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #10467 on: 02 July, 2012, 09:23:13 am »
Following back-to-back FNRttC/DunRun I took the shortest of my quiet routes in to work this morning.  First few kilometres were a struggle, but overall things were OK.  I was tempted to just take the tube or tube/NorrisBike, but the horror just wasn't worth it.

It will be another short and slow one home tonight.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10468 on: 02 July, 2012, 09:25:31 am »

Sounds horrid... any cause, perceived slight? Not suggesting that it makes it acceptable or even understandable in the slightest, just curious.

Yeah.  I was on the road, and we'd both been delayed by a bin lorry.
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #10469 on: 02 July, 2012, 10:20:09 am »

Yuck.  Having a driver stop in the middle of the road and lean out his window for a rant at me was bad enough (months ago).  Hope your Monday gets better.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10470 on: 02 July, 2012, 10:24:03 am »
Bit spaced at the moment, wondering how best to report it.
Getting there...

« Reply #10471 on: 02 July, 2012, 10:33:02 am »
Had a chap overtake me on an electric bike yesterday at over 25mph with assist, I had to laugh. :) Illegal, but I'd rather see more of those than the same people in their cars.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #10472 on: 02 July, 2012, 10:57:59 am »
Massive queues in Queenstown Road and I can't see what was causing it either. Bad weather forecast meant cars being used to avoid getting damp?
Who knows?

Slightly sore after the DD, but surprisingly quick!!

« Reply #10473 on: 02 July, 2012, 10:58:58 am »
Did you ride back, Alex?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #10474 on: 02 July, 2012, 01:34:12 pm »
I experienced my two closest passes ever!  One by one of those weenie cars usually driven by 17 year old girls, the other, even closer by a fellow cyclist!  I let out a loud shriek and jumped about five feet into the air, but the bike didn't so much as wobble!  :thumbsup: