Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2519386 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #12075 on: 03 January, 2013, 04:24:50 pm »
I can't give way if I'm legally alongside in a different lane.  Especially if there's no escape! :o
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #12076 on: 03 January, 2013, 04:38:24 pm »
<...> and including a bus which set off as I was overtaking, and just continued to pull across, forcing me towards a central reservation (among many many others >:( )

from what i heard (it may not be true) that there was a change of rules, that all traffic should give priority to buses pulling out from stops. i've noticed lately that bus drivers just turn the front wheels to the right and go, without waiting for the traffic to let them through (nearly came a cropper on london bridge before christmas myself)

Whereas my experience, especially in bus lanes, is the bus's right indicators come on, the driver counts to 10, s l o w l y, then drives straight ahead, moving no more than 20-30cm from the kerb.  ::-)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12077 on: 03 January, 2013, 04:41:58 pm »
Which reminds me of another one from this morning.  Bus indicating to pull out, so I ease off to let them emerge.  Signal cancelled.  I waited a moment to be sure that they weren't moving after all, and committed clearly (and in Primary) to overtake.  Bus pulls out and starts to signal again.  Emergency Stop for cyclist.  Rude words.
Getting there...

« Reply #12078 on: 03 January, 2013, 04:43:41 pm »
I give way to buses as much as I can (and sometimes they even acknowledge this!) but it’s hard to once you’ve committed to overtaking them. I’m happiest overtaking when they’ve got passengers getting on or off so I know they won’t be going anywhere.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #12079 on: 03 January, 2013, 08:20:48 pm »
Apparently I don't know the rules of the road.

Just so everyone else is aware, if the right turn only lane is coned off the mandatory cycle lane is automatically suspended. Cyclists must ride on the pavement and motorists may drive in the cycle lane regardless of the remaining generously proportioned lane. Cyclists that don't know the rules of the road deserve the wing mirror that gets shoved up their arse at thirty miles an hour.

My it stings.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

spindrift

« Reply #12080 on: 03 January, 2013, 08:53:45 pm »
A collision causing injury needs to be reported.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12081 on: 03 January, 2013, 08:53:54 pm »
It's lighter already.   And the tourer is faster than a fixie MTB with M+ tyres, but doesn't inspire quite as much confidence when riding through broken glass or taking short cuts.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #12082 on: 04 January, 2013, 08:42:11 am »
Where/when is it lighter?

I'm finding it is getting light later in the morning (was about 07:55, is now nearly 08:10).

It is pitch black before I leave anyway.

« Reply #12083 on: 04 January, 2013, 09:05:42 am »
I guarenteed that I am on the train home  :-[

Just as I got to the office from teh station this morning the left pedal felt odd and then the crank came off the bottom bracket. Somewhere on route I lost the bolt that holds the crank in place.  :facepalm:

Riding through the carpark with  my left foot held well clear (the crank and pedal still on the cleat) was a bit embarising.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #12084 on: 04 January, 2013, 09:10:52 am »
At least you were close to your destination - the one time that it's happened to me I had to pedal one legged for about 5 miles

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #12085 on: 04 January, 2013, 09:13:27 am »
It didn't rain.  Again!  That's all week with no rain.  (A two day week  :D )
Was passed by a silent road bike so quickly that I wondered if I was moving at all.  :(  So, all back to normal, then.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #12086 on: 04 January, 2013, 09:16:29 am »
At least you were close to your destination - the one time that it's happened to me I had to pedal one legged for about 5 miles
True, Roll down the ramp to the basement carpark and then one legged cycle through to the bike cage. With the fixed wheel to lift the right foot over the top dead centre and allow for the next pedal stroke.

5 miles  :o It's 17 miles home or 10 minute walk to the station and less at the other end.

« Reply #12087 on: 04 January, 2013, 09:30:57 am »
It didn't rain.  Again!  That's all week with no rain.  (A two day week  :D )
Was passed by a silent road bike so quickly that I wondered if I was moving at all.  :(  So, all back to normal, then.

Nice, isn't it?  Won't last though, Accuweather is showing next (daytime) rain for London next Friday.  My boss is on vacation, so I might wangle a day working from home .......

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #12088 on: 04 January, 2013, 09:45:11 am »
In spite of the headwind I made excellent time this morning.  Without the wind, I would probably have set a new PB (if I recorded individual legs of my commute).  Hope the wind remains for this evening.

« Reply #12089 on: 04 January, 2013, 07:19:21 pm »
In spite of the headwind I made excellent time this morning.  Without the wind, I would probably have set a new PB (if I recorded individual legs of my commute).  Hope the wind remains for this evening.

I like the idea of your left side getting there before the right ....... ;)

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #12090 on: 04 January, 2013, 09:25:11 pm »
 :P

As for this evening... BARSTEWARDS!  I had an overall average speed of just over 25kph - until I hit the High Street.  Blasted cars kept getting in my way and slowing me down.  I thought TfL was doing stuff to keep traffic moving, instead they continue to allow cars to slow us down!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12091 on: 05 January, 2013, 09:28:51 am »
They are an awful nuisance, aren't they?

Anyway, I got away from the motorists (briefly) by diverting to Richmond Park, where I refrained from a circuit in favour of a nip over Spankers Hill.

I am now in a very select band of people, as my arse has been recognised in a Royal Park after dark :-[

Anyway, with the twiddling through the back streets of South West London, I made it up to nearly 36km - over 60km for the day.

I do wish the wind would give over a bit.
Getting there...

« Reply #12092 on: 05 January, 2013, 10:32:51 am »
Somewhere on route I lost the bolt that holds the crank in place.  :facepalm:

And then I found the bolt as I walked the bike back to the station  :thumbsup:

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #12093 on: 05 January, 2013, 11:00:41 am »

Impossible Bike Force: "Your task today, should you chose to accept it, is to build a bike from miscellaneous bits that have fallen from others onto the roadside" ;)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12094 on: 05 January, 2013, 01:12:00 pm »

Impossible Bike Force: "Your task today, should you chose to accept it, is to build a bike from miscellaneous bits that have fallen from others onto the roadside" ;)

But following cycleman is cheating...   ;)

« Reply #12095 on: 05 January, 2013, 06:47:23 pm »
 :o ;D
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #12096 on: 05 January, 2013, 09:25:58 pm »
On my way into Brandon (Suffolk), coming the opposite way was a cyclist who had very bright lights, who was wearing tacksuit bottoms that were shreded to the waistband, revealing colourful underpants.  :o :o :o

:sick:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12097 on: 06 January, 2013, 01:16:00 pm »
Where/when is it lighter?

I'm finding it is getting light later in the morning (was about 07:55, is now nearly 08:10).

It is pitch black before I leave anyway.
Sunrise gets later until about 30 December every year so mornings will now get lighter.
Sunsets get later after 13 December.

spindrift

« Reply #12098 on: 06 January, 2013, 04:12:57 pm »
Two drivers flashed me out and both got a big wave of thanks which they both acknowledged.

The trouble with warmer January days is the mist rolls in like off a Hammer horror film.

Chris S

« Reply #12099 on: 06 January, 2013, 07:38:04 pm »
The trouble with warmer January days is the mist rolls in like off a Hammer horror film.

No worries - Second half of January could well be cold. Get those studdied tyres ready.