Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2518622 times)

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #15075 on: 21 February, 2014, 11:20:51 am »
Sun and cycle in with wife, very nice. Had a fairy visitation but managed to fix it quite easily.

simonp

« Reply #15076 on: 21 February, 2014, 12:18:20 pm »
Me.

It goes like this:

Leave house at 08:50. Arrive station (Yatton) 09.31, buy ticket, look for train (09:40). Train does not exist. Next train is 09:56, but is stopping service and will make me late with the ticket I have. Get food and coffee from station cafe, go to ticket office, get refund on ticket to Temple Meads and get new ticket to Filton Abbey Wood. Am told train is quite full. Train arrives, with one carriage, no chance of boarding with a bike. At this point it becomes clear that trying to use the train was a mistake, cycling the whole way would have been quicker. Next train is 10:23, and they assure me it will have multiple carriages. Another cyclist arrives and he nearly doesn't get on, but when he points out that he has connections, she relents. I'm expecting to arrive at work at 11.10 or so now, about 40 minutes late. Train makes its way to Temple Meads, getting fuller, and mostly empties there. There it sits. And sits. No information is provided. The departure board continually shows an ETD about 2 minutes in the past. Then 'delayed'. Then back to 2 minutes in the past. Eventually someone appears and tells us the train is waiting for carriages to join. I hope the irony of this isn't lost on the reader. The delay continues. Then we're told that if we are going to intermediate stations (raises hand) the train will now not be stopping at any of them due to the delay. There is another train expected at 11.21. Quick mental calculation (it's now 11.07) tells me that cycling the rest of the way to work will be quicker, and I make my escape. I arrive at work at 11.33.

This is a new record for my commute. For comparison:

Motorbike 41->47 minutes.
Car 50-80 minutes (mostly under 60).
Cycling 90-105 minutes, typically 95.
Bike + train 95-165 minutes.

I only really chose to use the train because I'm recovering from a cold and haven't had that many miles this year. Not a good move.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #15077 on: 21 February, 2014, 12:44:47 pm »
Sorry that your train commute did not work.

If I wanted use the train tonight it would be impossible.  The Wales rugby match will pack the trains with people. Bridgend station will be full of people and hardly any could get on let alone a bike.  Actually there is a long way around train that runs along the coast. This leaves from another platform and the rugby supporters do not know that will get them there just in time.  I could get on this train. In November I forgot the Autumn international was on and feeling very tired I went to the station bought a ticket then realised my mistake.  It was clear that not many people could get on the Manchester train and I expected the Cheltenham train would be just as bad. So I moved on to the other platform and got on the slow train around the vale.  This was not too busy as it left Bridgend. The first stop was Llantwit Major and the train was full of Standing people. I felt a little mean taking space with my bike. More people pushed on at the other stops until we got to Barry.  There is a frequent commuter service from Barry so there was no further crush. At Cardiff the train emptied and I travelled on  in a much quieter train.

Tonight I will accept the sogginess and ride home in the usual way. The have dinner and watch the rugby while drinking Delirum Tremens. Life is good.

« Reply #15078 on: 21 February, 2014, 12:55:15 pm »
Your real problem is arriving at the station 09:31.

My trains run hourly

05:31 Just me and the guard, 2 coaches. I've caught this train twice. It's total luxury, I love it.
06:21 Me, 5 other people, 1 other bike (in summer), 2 coaches
07:23 Me, 80 other people, 3 bikes, 1 coach, standing room only, fight your bike on, get tutted all the way (and deserve it, tbh)
08:24 I'm late for work who even leaves this late? I'm guessing 300 people trying to get to Ipswich for 9
09:23 wtf?  I've been at work for yonks and have even started doing some work.

Just get up in the morning. It adds hours to your day.

Chris S

« Reply #15079 on: 21 February, 2014, 01:46:59 pm »
I've never understood the whole "one coach" concept. That's a fucking bus, right? On rails.

How much more does it cost to run a train with 2 or even 4 coaches FFS?

simonp

« Reply #15080 on: 21 February, 2014, 01:56:12 pm »

It means I have to suffer the evening rush hour instead.

« Reply #15081 on: 21 February, 2014, 02:10:05 pm »
I've never understood the whole "one coach" concept. That's a fucking bus, right? On rails.

It's not the running, surely, it's the commisioning.
That 1 coach (The someone not Ralph Fiennes, trainspotting fans) dates from about AD79.

I'm home before that shit hits the fan roads. :smug:

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15082 on: 21 February, 2014, 02:17:10 pm »

It's not the running, surely, it's the commisioning.
That 1 coach (The someone not Ralph Fiennes, trainspotting fans) dates from about AD79.
Google suggest someone not Ralph could be Gerry. Responsible for pushing the purchase of Deltics through and one time mayor of Adleburgh.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #15083 on: 21 February, 2014, 02:31:16 pm »

Google suggest someone not Ralph could be Gerry. Responsible for pushing the purchase of Deltics through and one time mayor of Adleburgh.

I think he's Gerard on the train.  :thumbsup:
This train's so old it's probably been to Aldeburgh.

Fecking Hell t'internet's grand, innit?
Here he is, the handsome devil

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #15084 on: 21 February, 2014, 03:27:25 pm »

Nah This is a bus on rails
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #15085 on: 21 February, 2014, 06:16:35 pm »

And it doesn't add any hours to your day, because then you would have to go to bed early.
No one in this house goes to bed early, we are owls not larks  :)

« Reply #15086 on: 21 February, 2014, 06:37:04 pm »
Did you just argue that night was day?

;)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #15087 on: 21 February, 2014, 06:58:22 pm »

Oi, you nicked that from our line at Sudbury! We haz the rights to all the Class 153s left alive, we does.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #15088 on: 21 February, 2014, 07:06:59 pm »
First lambs of the year.  Poulton Fields.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #15089 on: 21 February, 2014, 07:13:33 pm »
Did you just argue that night was day?

;)

I work nights  'day' is whenever I happen to be awake  ;)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #15090 on: 21 February, 2014, 07:16:27 pm »

Oi, you nicked that from our line at Sudbury! We haz the rights to all the Class 153s left alive, we does.
We have at least three up here often two of them joined together (one has been subbed back into working with a class 150 as a 2 carriage to replace a crashed unit)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15091 on: 21 February, 2014, 09:33:51 pm »

Yes, but it adds hours of *morning* to your day.  Who wants that?

« Reply #15092 on: 21 February, 2014, 09:50:59 pm »
Me. All you other feckers are out on the trains, roads, every fecking where in the evenings.
Mornings I actually get to be on my own. I get a seat on the train, I don't get wankers driving at me and I don't get idiots on bikes with moronic lights blinding me. It's so good sometimes I get up even earlier <for fun>.
It's like late nights, but without the drunks and kebabs.

« Reply #15093 on: 21 February, 2014, 09:53:54 pm »
Me. All you other feckers are out on the trains, roads, every fecking where in the evenings.
Mornings I actually get to be on my own. I get a seat on the train, I don't get wankers driving at me and I don't get idiots on bikes with moronic lights blinding me. It's so good sometimes I get up even earlier <for fun>.
*Knows where she is coming from*
I've done, and will doubtless continue to do the "unnecessarily early" getting-up thing.
Becauth I'm worth it.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15094 on: 21 February, 2014, 10:28:52 pm »
You can keep it.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #15095 on: 21 February, 2014, 10:32:37 pm »
Eh?

« Reply #15096 on: 21 February, 2014, 10:37:25 pm »
You can keep it.

;D ;D ;D

I agree.
The time we choose to get up in the morning (when we have a choice) is like underwear. I will pick my own thanks  ;D

« Reply #15097 on: 22 February, 2014, 02:05:44 am »
You can keep it.

;D ;D ;D

I agree.
The time we choose to get up in the morning (when we have a choice) is like underwear. I will pick my own thanks  ;D

What's more, morning can be defined to last as long as you want. For me, any time before I've had lunch is morning. (And lunch is the meal that comes between morning and afternoon.) If you prefer to have your evening meal between 9 & 11pm, this adds valuable flexibility to the day.

« Reply #15098 on: 22 February, 2014, 07:10:51 am »

+1
Summer mornings are my pick; it looks like daytime, yet it's utterly deserted.  :D

« Reply #15099 on: 24 February, 2014, 09:16:16 am »
Aye, I'm with you on this one. I love the peace and cool of an early morning.

Speaking of which. I rode to work this morning, for the first time in 6 weeks (since commencing the house move). Woops, I've lost a little bit of fitness. What little bit I had.
<i>Marmite slave</i>