Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2518858 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #17500 on: 09 October, 2015, 02:01:05 pm »
My journey in was enriched by a blonde woman dressed in all-black racing snake kit on a light blue road bike. I first encountered her in Lewisham, where she overtook me,  and rode a little way behind her (i.e. not drafting or competing) all the way to Tower Bridge Street.  She was strong and fast and it was hysterical to watch her effortlessly pasting all of the male roadies who would attempt, and fail, to lift themselves to her pace when they realised they have been overtaken by a Gurl.   ;D

It also helped that she really knew how to ride in heavy traffic. :thumbsup:

Add in the beautiful weather and it was a perfect ride.  And tonight is looking even better.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #17501 on: 12 October, 2015, 07:41:14 am »
Right at the end of my journey, it looks like they're doing some filming.  The parking in front of my building has been suspended, and there's a huge number of lorries and vans, plus a handful of blokes in high-vis stopping anyone else from parking.  I suspect it's not going to be something contemporary, because they seemed to be covering up the white parking lines with some grey material, roughly the colour of the tarmac.  I guess that also means it won't be set in the depths of history either, since tarmac is hardly going to be seen prior to relatively modern Edwardian times.

Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #17502 on: 12 October, 2015, 08:22:46 am »
first morning with the neck warmer, Hello winter  :-\
Eddington Number 75

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #17503 on: 12 October, 2015, 08:47:45 am »
My commute today was dark and star-lit. Cold, but not cold enough to justify stopping to rummage for gloves.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #17504 on: 12 October, 2015, 08:02:06 pm »
Right at the end of my journey, it looks like they're doing some filming.  The parking in front of my building has been suspended, and there's a huge number of lorries and vans, plus a handful of blokes in high-vis stopping anyone else from parking.  I suspect it's not going to be something contemporary, because they seemed to be covering up the white parking lines with some grey material, roughly the colour of the tarmac.  I guess that also means it won't be set in the depths of history either, since tarmac is hardly going to be seen prior to relatively modern Edwardian times.

National Geographic are doing a thing about visions of hell, I learned earlier today - ancient, medieval and not modern but a bit more up to date.  Dr Larringron is supposed to be contributing to the medieval bit on Wednesday.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17505 on: 12 October, 2015, 08:18:32 pm »
I suspect it's not going to be something contemporary, because they seemed to be covering up the white parking lines with some grey material, roughly the colour of the tarmac.  I guess that also means it won't be set in the depths of history either, since tarmac is hardly going to be seen prior to relatively modern Edwardian times.

Maybe a British film company is being cheap and hoping a sufficiently Victorian-looking London street will pass for Boston or Washington DC, or Vancouver or somewhere?  After all, we all know that this can be done 100% convincingly if you have your characters arrive in a distinctive taxi driven by someone with an outrageous accent, and make sure that any regional fire hydrants, telephone boxes, etc. are out of shot...

Pancho

« Reply #17506 on: 13 October, 2015, 07:35:18 am »
Cold enough for me to dig the winter gloves out this morning. But what a fantastic ride in ; dark and starfilled, windless, and practically car-free on the rural legs.

And a revelation: putting new batteries in my lights makes them awesome. I can see where I'm going and make out the crud on the (crappy) road surface.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #17507 on: 13 October, 2015, 12:10:37 pm »
Fist coimmute in over two weeks. The road bike felt very sketchy after a fortnight on a loaded tourer, and it was cold. I may even pump the tyres up on the winter commuter tonight if it's going to be clear again as I thought a few bits looked a touch too sparkly for my liking.

Great to be back out in glorious autumn sunshine again, and riding a lot quicker than while on tour :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #17508 on: 14 October, 2015, 11:54:10 am »
For me personally in London this was my first REAL cold morning commute.. Brrrrrr.... I think I might wear some gloves from now on. Shorts are staying on though.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #17509 on: 14 October, 2015, 09:48:38 pm »
On the commute today: Me! 
Getting there...

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #17510 on: 14 October, 2015, 10:00:21 pm »
On the commute today: Me!

Hurrah!!   :thumbsup:
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #17511 on: 14 October, 2015, 10:13:37 pm »

red marley

« Reply #17512 on: 19 October, 2015, 08:54:02 am »
This week I have been temporarily billeted just south of Battersea Park, a long way from my native Hackney. Today was my first commute in to central/east London, which I thought I'd do via Boris Bike via the delights of CS8. I've not ridden along a Cycle Superhighway at Commuter O'Clock before. Almost all Sport Billies with bright yellow Humps playing tour de commute. Rather depressing really. Navigation from Albert Bridge to Parliament Square, following the river was simple, and the CS8 sufficiently wide and continuous to be helpful (despite the efforts of tour de commuters doing their best to pass closely and swiftly). From Parliament Square northeastward along Embankment, horrible. Hopefully life will be better once the super-super highway is finished.

I'd like my commute to be a chilled affair. Unfortunately, to add to the stress, my Boris Bike journey this morning was 32 minutes long, incurring a £2 charge (would have been free if it was 29:59). Perhaps tomorrow I should start with a couple of laps of Battersea park so I'm not tempted to beat the 30 minutes.

But most worryingly of all, being far from Hackney, I think I'm the only beard in the village. Has SW London got some kind of sponsorship deal with Gillette?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #17513 on: 19 October, 2015, 09:40:56 am »
But most worryingly of all, being far from Hackney, I think I'm the only beard in the village. Has SW London got some kind of sponsorship deal with Gillette?

Battersea is south of the river.  Beards are not practicable there because they get singed by the breath of the dragons.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #17514 on: 19 October, 2015, 01:36:58 pm »
Danger Mouse!

A mouse ran across the road, escaping a splatting under my wheel by a whisker.

However, it completely failed to miss the kerb on the other side and bounced back before - I swear - shaking its head to re-orientate its brain and hopping up and away.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Pancho

« Reply #17515 on: 19 October, 2015, 01:47:33 pm »
I can think of nothing of sufficient interest on my commute to report recently.

This is a good thing! It means I'm just enjoying riding through silence in the dark.

spindrift

« Reply #17516 on: 19 October, 2015, 09:29:26 pm »
On the short steep uphill bit in the cemetery where the lime tree leaves make the road skiddy I saw a fat-bellied little muntjack (sp?), first time I've seen one that close in years.

« Reply #17517 on: 19 October, 2015, 11:33:51 pm »
Fallow deer all over the place.  The rut has started.
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #17518 on: 20 October, 2015, 09:21:11 am »
Yep winter is here. I will need proper gloves in 2weeks, still ok with the mitts just about. I have tailored my route in though as my mate was knocked off last week, so I go up and over on the cycle route in Newport, and it is now dark.

I also had to shoe away some killer sea gulls in the middle of the road, as they were eating chips. They were bloody massive  :'(

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #17519 on: 20 October, 2015, 09:25:48 am »
Looks like thare was actually some rain overnight. Haven't seen that for a while. Quick ride in today, especially for the touring bike which is still in loaded touring configuration. Now to see if the cafatiere I was transporting has survived it's ride in the rack bag.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Paul

Re: On the commute home last night
« Reply #17520 on: 20 October, 2015, 01:11:48 pm »
I got to use the chain breaker on my cool tool for the second time in the last 20 years or so (while out - it's been used lots at home). And again, it was for someone else's benefit*. The plates of a link of this guys chain had come apart and he had just decided to walk the last 4 miles home when I arrived.

I removed the offending link, rejoined the chain and tailed him for a little to make sure it stayed together.

(*twice = sainthood, right? Will someone let the Pope know? I think it's bad form to nominate oneself.)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17521 on: 20 October, 2015, 01:23:45 pm »
Your next of kin might have to do it for you. I'm not up to speed with this whole 'dying first' thing.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #17522 on: 20 October, 2015, 01:58:21 pm »
Don't you have to be dead first?

Could be a bit of a problem
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #17523 on: 20 October, 2015, 03:20:34 pm »

Could be a bit of a problemarranged.

FTFY. HTH.

Paul

« Reply #17524 on: 20 October, 2015, 06:32:02 pm »

Really? What's the bleedin' point if you can't have 'Saint' added to your business card (or whatever the 21st C equivalent is) and swan around lording it over those less holy than one?

Could be a bit of a problemarranged.

FTFY. HTH.
Watch it. >:(