Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2518608 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #19050 on: 19 October, 2016, 11:03:02 am »
^^That could of been a bit nasty

Late leaving last night so got share the miserable weather with my commuting buddy, it was hard work and a bit grim all round. Kit still wet this morning and the old legs a bit sore from pushing too hard into the wind, obviously all a bit much for my buddy as he's off sick today.

All a bit slippy this morning with the drifts of wet leaves, plenty of mulch about on the way up from Chorlton making it a choice between the Kings Road assault course or the chutney run  :-\

« Reply #19051 on: 20 October, 2016, 08:37:27 am »
Running out of go this week.

In other news it looks like the NHS' pool bike scheme has branched out as one these has appeared in shed with their stickers on the locks. I wonder what it rides like.

« Reply #19052 on: 20 October, 2016, 10:09:26 am »
On the school run there's an alley way that cuts through to the school. At one end there is a circa. 1940/50 sign that says, 'Cycling Prohibited'. It's an beautiful antique that has been vandalised several times and is just legible. It has 'charm'.

Scores of us march through the alley way in a slow procession to our place of academia. I tick along in the crowd on my Surly Big Dummy with my 7 year old on the back. I don't need to squeeze past or dismount. After all we only end up in another queue outside the school gates.

Today was a bit different. Another dad who is rarely on school run duty, marched past us all and stood under the said sign, hands on hips and eyeballed the sign theatrically. I could tell he wasn't going to actually say anything so I did: 'It's an advisory sign.' Says I.

A 'isn't , is, isn't, is, isn't' argument nearly ensued, but given that all the mums were walking past us greeting me cheerfully, this fat twat soon harrumphed off not getting the due reaction I think he expected.

His mother in law is very embarrassed. Twat.

Just wanted to get that off my chest. It's good to share.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #19053 on: 20 October, 2016, 11:10:31 pm »
Another run down to Guildford for beers tonight. Half way there I became aware of a light casting my shadow on the road ahead. It went, it reappeared. It went.  Eventually I looked behind and found I had two, count them, two wheel suckers. 
Me. The captain of the klingon fleet. Providing air hole. Doesn't compute but feels like progress.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #19054 on: 21 October, 2016, 08:27:48 am »
Really is getting nippy now, especially as the zip on my windproof gave up, bit disappointing really as the last one of the same lasted twice as long as the new improved 'pro' version  ::-) Ah well by the time I return from my hollibobs it'll full winter jacket time anyway I suspect*.

*this of course means that it'll be a gloriously warm November and I'll buy a new a windproof just in time for arctic weather to arrive

« Reply #19055 on: 21 October, 2016, 09:20:25 am »
Was behind a girl who was riding really close into parked cars. Wondered if I should say something, but didn't.  It was a really wide bit of road and there was no traffic pressing from behind.

This was in my mind.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-37691400

Nice morning, nice commute

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #19056 on: 21 October, 2016, 03:53:09 pm »
Really is getting nippy now, ...
Hmmm.  Not so much here, yet,  in the bottom right hand corner of deepest darkest glocestererershire, more fresh than chilly.  Was definitely overdressed yesterday (bib longs, long sleeved jersey and gloves)  for the run in (0600) and it was even worse on the ride home.    However I did hear two barn owls (one directly over my head) and a cockerel kicking up a din as I rode past some cottages all of which made the fact that it was the work-bound leg less depressing.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #19057 on: 22 October, 2016, 02:14:25 pm »
.. in the bottom right hand corner of deepest darkest glocestererershire, more fresh than chilly.  Was definitely overdressed yesterday (bib longs, long sleeved jersey and gloves)  for the run in (0600) and it was even worse on the ride home. ...
I'm having the same problem in That London.  The temperature variation between morning and evening, and day to day, means that I'm swapping between short sleeved and long sleeved, as well as summer and winter weight jerseys.  Long tights vs 3/4 length shorts isn't quite so bad, since my legs don't sweat like the upper half does!

I need to find my thin gloves.  On the occasional morning, the air has been cold enough to wear gloves rather than just mitts, but the only gloves I've found are too thick and I end up with sweaty hands when I've got to work.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #19058 on: 24 October, 2016, 08:56:59 am »
Today I found out what one of those noises was

« Reply #19059 on: 24 October, 2016, 10:35:25 am »
Ouch. I hope your resulting dismount was controlled and the remainder of your commute not too far.

Today I was wondering where all the traffic was then I remembered it's half term.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #19060 on: 24 October, 2016, 08:43:14 pm »
Beware, rude language below

(click to show/hide)
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #19061 on: 24 October, 2016, 09:52:19 pm »
POTD!
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #19062 on: 24 October, 2016, 09:54:44 pm »
No traffic lights and hedge interactions on my commute today, but there was the first frost of the autumn on the verges, and some slightly unnerving shiny bits on the road. When the sun came out it was still quite warm though.

I also tightened up the chain on the fixed a bit too much, and now know that my chainset is slightly not-round. I think I'd better back it off a bit before the creaking becomes something worse.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #19063 on: 24 October, 2016, 10:53:26 pm »
First commute on the Winter configured commuter bike.
This involves swapping out the wheels to Cheapo Shimano R500s with M+ tyres.

OOF! That was a bit of a change! It's added almost 10 mins to my 35k round-trip.

« Reply #19064 on: 25 October, 2016, 10:55:03 am »
Cracking ride home yesterday. Hardly any wind, pleasant temperature.

If it weren't for my lights not quite being up to the job I could have kept going and going.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

spindrift

« Reply #19065 on: 25 October, 2016, 05:25:24 pm »
Seems to be ladybird day in Norwich, fahsands of 'em.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #19066 on: 26 October, 2016, 08:41:03 am »
Dark, murky, and damp. The sort of weather one would reasonably expect to see at 0700 on a late October morning. Murky enough to impair visibility, but not bad enough to make motons consider slowing down a bit and DIPPING THEIR FLAMING HEADLIGHTS >:( (not that many of them do, even when conditions really warrant it ::-))

Still warm enough for shorts thobut :thumbsup:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #19067 on: 26 October, 2016, 12:12:13 pm »
Dark, murky and damp has been mentioned, and though I'm not cycling still, I'd caution chaps to be wary of sodden leaves on the road. We don't want: "Sodding leaves – skidded on them!"
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #19068 on: 26 October, 2016, 07:01:22 pm »
My competitive streak cut in this evening. Overtaking the guy on the hybrid just because it was a hybrid and he looked a little plump is a mistake when said chap is at least 20 years younger than me. Fortunately he was very good about it.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #19069 on: 26 October, 2016, 07:15:35 pm »
Something Going Down around Westfield (Stratford) this evening. From a distance I thought it was man down on CS2, but as I got closer it appeared that there were 2 van loads of police dogs, a LARGE number of policemen and a chopper overhead. Hope there's not anything that makes the news.

spindrift

« Reply #19070 on: 26 October, 2016, 08:38:47 pm »
 5000 Chelsea fans having to be contained in parkland instead of the narrow streets round Upton Park. It'll be like Braveheart.

« Reply #19071 on: 26 October, 2016, 08:40:30 pm »
Went from work into Reading town centre to buy my niece's birthday present. Train back to Wokingham as I didn't fancy the whole way home and then a nice cool ride with a light mist over the fields back from there.

« Reply #19072 on: 26 October, 2016, 09:25:22 pm »
5000 Chelsea fans having to be contained in parkland instead of the narrow streets round Upton Park. It'll be like Braveheart.

Ahhhhhhhhh that would make sense. I didn't know there WERE that many police dogs

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #19073 on: 27 October, 2016, 10:31:48 am »
Took the road around my office to see the sunrise over the harbour  :thumbsup:

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo