Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2518376 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #19450 on: 22 February, 2017, 01:24:33 pm »
This morning was my first commute in about 3 months.  :)  I could have chosen a less windy day.  ::-) I hope it's a tailwind for the way home.
Don't think I'll be riding tomorrow though!

Also, I was fighting into a dead straight headwind for the last half mile into work, and a UPS van appeared behind me. I thought I'd get a nice draft, but the driver gave me a full cars width and didn't pull in until the back of his van was at least 5metres ahead! Inconsiderate barsteward - why couldn't he have pulled in sooner?  :demon:

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #19451 on: 22 February, 2017, 06:08:29 pm »
I liked today's commute. :)

I saw my first set of new lambs running around in the fields, saw a buzzard swoop up up front of me and perch in a tree above the road, and even managed to drop a wheel sucker up a hill ;D

I doubt tomorrow is going to be as enjoyable looking at the forecast so I suppose I'd better enjoy it while it lasts :-\
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #19452 on: 22 February, 2017, 06:55:01 pm »
Work-bound 1h15m and the merest hint of light at 0600.

Home-bound 49m and (hooray!) first lambs of the year at Poulton Fields.

Marked increase in birdsong in the morning this last week or so which is v. nice.

Feels like we've turned a corner and, allowing for cold snaps, the better cycling weather is in the offing.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #19453 on: 22 February, 2017, 08:57:31 pm »
I liked today's commute. :)

I saw my first set of new lambs running around in the fields, saw a buzzard swoop up up front of me and perch in a tree above the road, and even managed to drop a wheel sucker up a hill ;D

I doubt tomorrow is going to be as enjoyable looking at the forecast so I suppose I'd better enjoy it while it lasts :-\
mcshazoom!  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #19454 on: 22 February, 2017, 09:10:02 pm »
No way I'm cycling tomorrow. Some of the gusts this morning had me holding on tight. If the predictions for tomorrow are anything like accurate...
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #19455 on: 23 February, 2017, 08:04:40 am »
Would somebody turn the wind down a bit please. (Gusting up to 45mph already!)

I'm glad I decided to use the folder this morning. I knew there'd be a couple of places where I'd be hit by vicious side-blasts. On the hybrid or road bike I'd have been skittering sideways across the road. With the folder having all it's gubbins so low down there was nothing for the wind to get hold of. I just gave a little wobble and carried on.

First in-bound commute without gloves this year (they're in my bag, just in case)
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #19456 on: 23 February, 2017, 08:11:15 am »
Whoosh, that wind and that bike just  ;D ;D ;D touching 30mph coming up Kings Road. Tonight is gonna hurt.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #19457 on: 23 February, 2017, 08:43:24 am »
Easier ride in than I expected, as the wind pushed me along nicely. Also just missed all the rain.

Not looking forward to tonight though, I could see some struggling on the opposite direction this morning already.

« Reply #19458 on: 23 February, 2017, 12:36:26 pm »
I was blown in this morning, in addition to the experience of all seasons of weather.
Having seen people trying to cycle in the opposite direction to the one I was travelling in, y'know - standing on the pedals but not actually moving forward, I fully intend to bottle out of the cycle ride home and use my Oyster card.
Forecast of gusts up to 87 km/h this afternoon.  :o

« Reply #19459 on: 23 February, 2017, 02:43:31 pm »
Shit awful sleet and howling winds.  I didn't bike it today.

spindrift

« Reply #19460 on: 23 February, 2017, 05:51:03 pm »
When the diseased branches start falling from the trees it's clear we've reached the dead wood stage.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #19461 on: 23 February, 2017, 06:16:18 pm »
Bit damp on the way in and a bit blowy on the way home, but nothing like as bad as forecast :)

« Reply #19462 on: 23 February, 2017, 06:48:11 pm »
Not in the least bit sorry to have left the bike at work this evening.

TheLurker

« Reply #19463 on: 23 February, 2017, 07:02:56 pm »
When the diseased branches start falling from the trees it's clear we've reached the dead wood stage.
Groaaan. :)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #19464 on: 23 February, 2017, 08:13:20 pm »
Had a long ride home and not as bad as I thought, not least because it was fuelled by a whole packet of biscuits and big bag of crisps.  Sort of enjoyed it in a masochistic way.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #19465 on: 24 February, 2017, 07:43:37 am »
I did a LOT of free-wheeling on the way home last night :thumbsup:

This morning:

Where's yer lights? calls the moron in the unlit filthy black Fiat 500.

WHERE'RE YOURS? roars back the cyclist, jacket emitting an eyeball-searing yellow glow in the morning sunshine ::-)
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #19466 on: 24 February, 2017, 10:06:36 am »
My commuting buddy was unwell last night so asked for a tow home, quickly gained an extra passenger for the run down to Stretford. I was cream crackered by the time I dropped him off at home, the drag up the false flat that is Fairhills Road into the teeth of the gale was grim.

Not got a lot in the tank this morning.

« Reply #19467 on: 24 February, 2017, 10:43:01 am »
Nice ride in this morning, nice to be able to facilitate the Ambulance on blues that was caught at the level crossing. It was second vehicle on the far side and I was the first on my side so I stopped well back from the barrier and spread my hands near my sides so it was obvious I wasn't going anywhere. Once the train passed the barriers opened and the vehicle in front of it and I just waited for it to pass and sort itself out.

« Reply #19468 on: 28 February, 2017, 08:31:56 am »
Visitation in Moss Side, managed to roll all the way to work before changing the tube and made use of the NHS track pump, fairly innocuous looking thorn that had gone all the way through a D+

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #19469 on: 01 March, 2017, 05:14:13 pm »
Great ride in.  I think I was 'going well' ;)

I've set a challenging PB now.

Of course, the ride home may not be so swift. :/

But I've also been able to use the bike on a multi-modal journey to a meeting and back.  I like to set an example :)
Getting there...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #19470 on: 01 March, 2017, 09:59:25 pm »
I forgot to pack my rain jacket today. No problem, the Met office had a <5% chance of rain all afternoon.

Of course, that meant that it was coming down so hard when I went to ride home I had water dripping of my cap's peak before I'd even made it off of site ::-)

« Reply #19471 on: 02 March, 2017, 08:42:18 am »
Nice tailwind, shame about the flooded roads and the taxi driver that expected me to just dematerialise at 30mph past Longford Park

TheLurker

« Reply #19472 on: 02 March, 2017, 07:32:46 pm »
Another slog work-bound, but hey stick it in a low gear, spin away and you'll get there.  After all it's not as if the office is going anywhere. :)

On the plus side it was half-light to light almost all the way which made the ride much more relaxing.   Nice to see the scenery (and more lambs) again.  Shame the clocks have to go forward at the end of the month.

« Reply #19473 on: 02 March, 2017, 07:57:57 pm »
Not my commute and last week, not today, but an unusual traffic jam, all the same

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #19474 on: 02 March, 2017, 10:31:42 pm »
Not my commute and last week, not today, but an unusual traffic jam, all the same

That's not too unusual round here. We get those on fell roads which the Herdies think they own. They aren't quite as intimidating as the Highland Coos on Cold Fell though.