Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2519325 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #2225 on: 25 August, 2010, 07:27:11 pm »
The rain brings out the morons too.

I had a woman in a cream Mini pull out from Broomhouse Road into Hurlingham Road without bothering to look. Luckily there was enough space to grab the brakes and go round behind the car to avoid hitting it. She acted as if she'd done nothing wrong.

Despite catching up with her and overtaking her I passed on the chance to remonstrate with her directly.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2226 on: 25 August, 2010, 08:09:34 pm »
The rain brings out the morons too.
I had one of those today as well.

You know, overtaking at the top of a hill, near a junction, where the road narrows and comes into a blind corner, really isn't the brightest thing to do.  And if that other car, the one coming the other way round said corner, had been may be ten seconds earlier...

:facepalm:

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2227 on: 25 August, 2010, 09:35:44 pm »
I quite enjoyed my post-work ride in the rain, even when it became quite heavy towards the end.

Not enjoying so much sitting on a train in wet clothes with very soggy feet.

<ford prefect>Lucky I brought my towel. </ford prefect>

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #2228 on: 25 August, 2010, 09:42:52 pm »
Good ride in this morning, saw early morning pink sky but didn't get wet. Mornings like that are great. Definitely a bit cooler though.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #2229 on: 26 August, 2010, 09:23:32 am »
Yesterday ride home straight into the wind. Huge quantities of water running off the fields making interference patterns with the water running down the road as gravity tells it to.  Also lots from the sky.  On such a day I am unable to make an assessment of my new gear. Horrible.

This morning much better.  Socks got really wet but that was because the shoes are still waterlogged.

« Reply #2230 on: 26 August, 2010, 09:30:45 am »
Still wet further west in Swansea.

It was the short commute this morning so I arrived at the bike shed by 7:05, only to discover I didn't have my keys with me.  So turn tail and am relieved to see them hanging from the outside of the garage door.  Back in again and still at my desk before most of my colleagues, 27 miles under my belt.  The colleagues that were in make sympathetic noises when I tell them the story, so I have to tell them that no, this was a bonus, and yes, I did get very wet but it didn't matter. They still don't understand.

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #2231 on: 26 August, 2010, 09:42:23 am »
On the commute home saw a heavily laden bike ahead, not unusal site due to the ferry port. What caught my eye was the sign on the bike saying "Cape Town". So pulled along side and sure enough he was on a year long trip to ZA.  I stayed with him so that he could negiotiate the most convient way to a holiday inn near the ferry.

He has a blog , and I left the card with his details at home ........to dry . I 'll try and remember to dig it out and post it on the " rides "

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2232 on: 26 August, 2010, 10:25:34 am »
The colleagues that were in make sympathetic noises when I tell them the story, so I have to tell them that no, this was a bonus, and yes, I did get very wet but it didn't matter. They still don't understand.

;D :thumbsup:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

fuzzy

« Reply #2233 on: 26 August, 2010, 11:00:46 am »
On my commute home yesterday I got wet.

I my commute in this morning I got wet.

No wind on either commute :thumbsup:

Riding in the rain is like riding in the dry- only wetter.

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #2234 on: 26 August, 2010, 11:40:48 am »
Said in the style of Gorden Ramsey " 46 mile commute witham to London cos there where no trains in the rain.......Done! "  :smug:

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2235 on: 26 August, 2010, 11:42:13 am »
Today's commute was 1km.
500m outbound & an HGV remains behind me all the way & resists the temptation to overtake.My still-a-little-wobbly technique on the 'bent may be a contributing factor :-\

The 500m uphill return made my thighs ache.
It didn't rain :)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2236 on: 26 August, 2010, 11:51:07 am »
It was raining a little as I left the house
I opened the garage and started to pull out the winter bike with hub gears,full mudguards and lights
Then I realised it had a rear flat

Two problems here
1) I'd put a brand new tube in the rear last night and it seemed ok.  Previous to this I'd had another new inner tube explode in that wheel without it moving
2) It takes a while, a bit of torque and a bit of mess to remove the hub geared wheel

So I said never mind, I'll take the Orbea racing bike.  This is not the ideal wet weather bike as it has no guards.  The brakes are good though and that's always a bonus

I arrived at work extremely wet

Andyf

« Reply #2237 on: 26 August, 2010, 11:56:31 am »
Oaky,

How did you get in today, when i got to witham station at 5:30am there where no trains untill at least 7am  :o
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

Andyf

« Reply #2238 on: 26 August, 2010, 01:02:12 pm »
Today's commute was 1km.
500m outbound & an HGV remains behind me all the way & resists the temptation to overtake.My still-a-little-wobbly technique on the 'bent may be a contributing factor

Jogler, I think you must of missed at least one 0 Out of the two distances you mentioned
Teehhh..Tehhhh..... :thumbsup:

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2239 on: 26 August, 2010, 01:07:58 pm »
My commute is even less than that! I'm amazed I'm still the cycling God I think I am.

Oy Oaky you bastard! My post was going to slot in very nicely after Anders's one.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2240 on: 26 August, 2010, 01:18:17 pm »
Oaky,

How did you get in today, when i got to witham station at 5:30am there where no trains untill at least 7am  :o

0743, but it was 25mins late into Lpoo St.

My commute is even less than that! I'm amazed I'm still the cycling God I think I am.

Oy Oaky you bastard! My post was going to slot in very nicely after Anders's one.

Fixed now! ;)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2241 on: 26 August, 2010, 01:23:14 pm »

And what a lovely chap Oaky is. He's my favourite chum.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Andyf

« Reply #2242 on: 26 August, 2010, 01:53:20 pm »
Said in the style of Gorden Ramsey " 46 mile commute witham to London cos there where no trains in the rain.......Done! " 

Looks like my assumption, that the whole network was going to be shut down was wrong. Got to cycle 46 miles extra  :thumbsup:( It was bloody hard work in the rain and after a weeks holiday marinading my self in wine and scotch :sick:)  and the boss is gratefull I made the effort  :D

« Reply #2243 on: 26 August, 2010, 01:54:40 pm »
Yesterday on the way home I had one of those drivers who is determined to overtake at all costs, despite the fact that theren't any room for his car to physically get in front of me. I was at most 10 feet or so behind the car in front and travelling at the same speed

At times I could see his front left quarter in my peripheral vision without having to look round.

Thankfully a series of oncoming cars meant that he eventually got stopped somewhere behind me and I was able to overtake the car in front of me and make better progress.

this morning by contrast I had a white van who sat back nicely and as a consequence, I was able to clear a path for both of us by bullying oncoming cars into pulling in and waiting through simple road positioning and having my bulky tailgunner to add authority!!!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2244 on: 26 August, 2010, 02:15:22 pm »
Today's commute was 1km.
500m outbound & an HGV remains behind me all the way & resists the temptation to overtake.My still-a-little-wobbly technique on the 'bent may be a contributing factor

Jogler, I think you must of missed at least one 0 Out of the two distances you mentioned
Teehhh..Tehhhh..... :thumbsup:

It might be the start of a" virtual" commute.Small beginings are o.k. ;)

& when I do a double-distance commute it will,I hope, be very satisfying ;D

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2245 on: 26 August, 2010, 05:16:34 pm »
Blimey.

Full lighting on the way home.

It was only 4.30 !!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2246 on: 26 August, 2010, 06:25:36 pm »
Very gloomy on the way home.  Most cars had their lights on.

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #2247 on: 26 August, 2010, 08:05:41 pm »
SLOW going today - Rain on the way in with a headwind.
Some rain/drizzle and heavy headwind on the way home - only managed 56kph on Hangram lane - usually get up to about 65-70kph! over 10 minutes slower than usual summer time.  >:(
Met two guys cycling home from their job at the POLARIS (cycle clothing and stuff) factory in Dronfield.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2248 on: 26 August, 2010, 10:32:28 pm »
Rear light was there, front might have been handy, judging by all the cagers with lights on, and other cyclists coming towards me with headlights on.
It's AUGUST ffs  :-[
Steve
The dog did nothing in the night-time - that was the curious incident..........

« Reply #2249 on: 26 August, 2010, 10:42:26 pm »
Front and rear lights morning and evening for me - for a few days now. London  ::-)

Edit: v nice warm light drizzle tonight though  :)