Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2510427 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #4175 on: 18 January, 2011, 09:17:27 pm »
This little incident didn't happen at around 5pm this evening did it?
As I was turning at the lights to go down Nunnery Lane there sounded like there was a right barney going on at the lights opposite The Punchbowl.

I was too busy trying to keep my eye on the road ahead because of the rather, erm, skittish nature of the hire car but my colleague in the passenger seat said he saw a cyclist involved.

Yes it did! i left work at 17:05 and was at the station for 17:15....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #4176 on: 19 January, 2011, 05:21:27 am »
Just cycled home.  Frosty out there, this morning.  The parked cars look like so many iced buns.  Cycle to work yet to come; will add some linings to my gloves.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4177 on: 19 January, 2011, 09:57:40 am »
So cold this morning I had to wear an extra base layer

I stopped to help a lad on a cheap MTB.  There was something wrong with his front QR skewer.  I sorted it out pretty quick but this made my fingers quite cold

I had to stop and push over three patches of ice, including one place I'd not seen it before.  I guess if I do take off my ice tyres then this kind of thing will happen  ;D

Another fabulous sunrise though, much prefer this to the rain.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #4178 on: 19 January, 2011, 10:09:22 am »
A bit sluggish on the way in this morning, but realised it was most likely down to carrying both my D-lock and heavy cable lock (I usually commute sans lock).  Otherwise, not a bad commute, except for the numpties pulling out from side roads and stopping in the bike lane rather than at their stop line.  Monday's numpty pulled into the bus lane - I guess bikes don't qualify traffic.  ::-)

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #4179 on: 19 January, 2011, 10:16:27 am »
It's that junction, I tell you!  It's where I got cut up by, and a massive load of verbal from, a random taxi driver.  I actually rang up and complained about that one, which I have NEVER done before!

It's a stupid confusing junction from any direction. Coming the opposite direction was where I had my altercation with a bus driver.

Tier, can't quite believe how exciting a commute you had. Near fight with a car passenger, violent yobs with dog and police! I'm almost envious, (not).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4180 on: 19 January, 2011, 11:34:17 am »
It's that junction, I tell you!  It's where I got cut up by, and a massive load of verbal from, a random taxi driver.  I actually rang up and complained about that one, which I have NEVER done before!

It's a stupid confusing junction from any direction. Coming the opposite direction was where I had my altercation with a bus driver.

Tier, can't quite believe how exciting a commute you had. Near fight with a car passenger, violent yobs with dog and police! I'm almost envious, (not).

I can do without commutes like that! :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4181 on: 19 January, 2011, 11:49:42 am »
Definition of crisp this morning.  I didn't need a jacket, but put on another thin jersey.  Lovely ride, and I was happy to be free of the worry of punctures or slipping gears.

Glad I didn't meet anyone like Tiermat's idiot.
Getting there...

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #4182 on: 19 January, 2011, 12:07:14 pm »
Definition of crisp ... another thin jersey. 
(Other cultivars of potato are available).
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #4183 on: 19 January, 2011, 12:26:15 pm »
Just assessed the damage in daylight. Bars about 30 degree out, rear wheel badly misaligned, scratches.
Not quite sure how to get home...

« Reply #4184 on: 19 January, 2011, 12:31:49 pm »
Just assessed the damage in daylight. Bars about 30 degree out, rear wheel badly misaligned, scratches.

Owch, what happened, and more importantly are you all right?

re getting home, bars are easily straightened but that rear wheel sounds more difficult, I take it your children don't drive yet to collect you?

GWS

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4185 on: 19 January, 2011, 12:34:09 pm »
Hope you're alright!

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #4186 on: 19 January, 2011, 12:40:01 pm »
Early in my commute, some bloke on an olive single speed bike drifted lazily through the red light where I had stopped and vanished into the distance.  Several junctions later, he caught up with me at another set of lights, just as they went green.  I passed him as we entered a minor road that's a short cut through an estate and had forgotten about him by the time I approached the second corner and took it at speed...

Black ice on smooth road surface, rear wheel skids uncontrollably, thigh slams into road and I'm rolling, bike in air above me, stand up, am holding bike though have no memory of grabbing it, nod of relief to RLJer who has slowed to enquire about health, look over bike, remount and pedal.  Realise that something is poking me in the thigh where nothing has poked me before, look down and realise saddle was rotated 30 degrees by the impact, dismount and fettle.  As I do this, I see somebody else take the corner and also come off her bike - not as badly, since she wasn't moving as fast.  The cyclists behind her have the benefit of her example and, since she stayed at the corner while gathering herself and her possessions, so did the cyclists behind them.

When I made the turn from Prince of Wales Drive onto Battersea Park Road, another slow moving RLJer sailed slowly out from the opposite direction and, despite having had plenty of time to clock me, cut right in front of me as he crossed towards the park.  I was not polite.

Very mild grazing on right thigh, but I tore a small hole in the shorts.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #4187 on: 19 January, 2011, 12:46:06 pm »
some bloke on an olive single speed bike drifted lazily through the red light

alexb - have you been RLJing?!  ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4188 on: 19 January, 2011, 02:43:18 pm »

Sounds like an Eeek!  Glad you're still with us...
Getting there...

« Reply #4189 on: 19 January, 2011, 02:43:31 pm »

Yikes, what happened? Hope you're Ok xx

« Reply #4190 on: 19 January, 2011, 07:12:32 pm »
Came off on ice on the way in. I hadn't thought it was too bad, I was wrong.
There's been ice there before, so I saw it coming, tried to slow and slammed myself and bike all over the road.
Set off walking the last mile and got rescued by big boss who drove me and limping bike the rest of the way.
I've fallen off so often now that I can rank the bruising. Only a 4.0 today for the hip and knee. My head hurts tho and I really need a new helmet- that's 5 times it's hit the deck now.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4191 on: 19 January, 2011, 08:06:53 pm »
Poor lass!  GWS :-*
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #4192 on: 20 January, 2011, 12:34:12 pm »
Last night was definitely interesting.

It's not often I venture south of the river, and then usually not much more than a stone's throw from the Thames (excl. FNRttC).  Last night I met a number of AUKs in Wimbledon, so off across London Bridge, down the A3 to the A24 the off into Wimbledon.  Managed to miss a turn at Elephant & Castle, then ended up on the A23 when I wanted to continue along the A3. :facepalm:

Other than that, the journey out was uneventful, but crowded!  Even at 19:30 CS7 was busy.  Well, in comparison to any of my usual commuting routes.

If anyone thinks CS7 is a bit rubbish I will give you a guided tour of CS3.  This is an honest offer — I will organise a ride along CS3 with a probable return along CS2 (work in progress).  I won't say CS7 is perfect, but in some places it's brilliant!

Last night also confirmed an observation about South London Drivers: they drive way too fast and aggressively.  I lost count of the number of cars driving right up against CS7 but with 3-5ft of empty lane to their right.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #4193 on: 20 January, 2011, 02:38:21 pm »
Last night also confirmed an observation about South London Drivers: they drive way too fast and aggressively.  I lost count of the number of cars driving right up against CS7 but with 3-5ft of empty lane to their right.

I see just the same levels of aggression from North London drivers, I'm not sure there are any differences, beyond subtle changes in general driver habits.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #4194 on: 20 January, 2011, 05:07:22 pm »
I think my Friday legs arrived early :(

boab, that sounds horrible, I hope you are ok.

My commute is half Sarf and half Norf of the river. Driver behaviour is about equal on either side IME.

I am most afraid of the kamikaze peds when I go through Covent Garden...my new brake blocks are a tad squeally and this is a Good Thing.

« Reply #4195 on: 20 January, 2011, 05:13:03 pm »
some bloke on an olive single speed bike drifted lazily through the red light

alexb - have you been RLJing?!  ;)

Haven't been riding my fixed for ages now. I'll be selling it when the weather gets better. I've bought a dull, but very practical hub-geared MTB for commuting.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4196 on: 20 January, 2011, 07:03:23 pm »
Yesterday I was on my Peregrine and a guy pulled alongside and said "I've got a Gryphon" (another Singular made bike) we chatted about how they are ( and my Swift) before going on our way.

And that children is how the SW London chapter of the Singular Fan Club was founded:)

« Reply #4197 on: 20 January, 2011, 08:34:55 pm »
Felt rough the last couple of days, really not enjoying myself. Had a sore throat that hasn't been shifting. Bothered to look in the mirror at it yesterday. "Ah" I think to myself, "that's what tonsilitis looks like, is it?". The LHS tonsil takes up half my throat, and looks more like a faulty rhubarb and custard than a tonsil.

Hopefully the 2000mg of pencillin a day I'll be on for the next week will clear it.

« Reply #4198 on: 20 January, 2011, 08:39:55 pm »
First commute of the week as Mrs Dan's had a poorly shoulder. Rather nice it was, cool, moonlit, brisk despite doing intervals in the morning. A little wiggle at the back going over a manhole on the marathon winters.
Sounds like the rest of you have been having a rough and/or stressful time of it - best wishes.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #4199 on: 21 January, 2011, 08:33:51 am »
Memo to self : When the back roads are icy for the lunchtime bimble it is not a good idea to attempt to use the back road for the trip home.  Dolt.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου