Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2519253 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #4650 on: 24 February, 2011, 09:58:20 pm »
Journey home was done sans gloves - I almost dared to bare the legs but no. Still, it was fast and good and numerous (expensive) cars shoved past only to be passed and where poss. primary position taken up ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4651 on: 24 February, 2011, 10:28:15 pm »
I rode the bit from East Croydon without gloves, and it was very nice.

I was also much faster than last night :D
Getting there...

« Reply #4652 on: 24 February, 2011, 10:47:49 pm »
Lovely commute, lovely drivers.  Sadly one serious crash right by the Hurricane and Spitfire models at Biggin Hill airport, but that was over long before I got there.

Oh, and the stress over #madarsonwoman is down a bit again as she is back in jail today (been trying to set fire to our flats, repeatedly).
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

simonp

« Reply #4653 on: 24 February, 2011, 11:08:18 pm »
Went to B&Q for plumbing and electrical supplies. Limited to what would fit in my laptop messenger bag.

On the way home I saw there'd been an RTI at the Barnwell Road/Newmarket Rd junction on the eastbound exit of the roundabout. 2-3 cars one of them sideways blocking Newmarket Rd. Ambulance already there and police arriving. I thought about going past on Newmarket Rd but was not sure about it so diverted down Barnwell Rd. Not sure there is anything in it. Might even be shorter.

MartinGT

« Reply #4654 on: 25 February, 2011, 07:59:48 am »
Another brilliant morning, nice sunrise with an orange sky and a nice warmness in the air.  Commute was a fast one as there was hardly any traffic and the lights seemed to go green for me :)

Have a good day all  :thumbsup:

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #4655 on: 25 February, 2011, 09:31:02 am »
Good pace into work this morning: another female cyclist passed me at Deptford but typically after 5 minutes they tend to slow down and don't have 'incline legs' so passed her a mile later and got into a nice pace with another chap. Unfortunately from the go at traffic lights this chap has not lowered his gears sufficiently and has a moment trying to clip himself in as well, this happened on 3 occasions  :( No matter, got into work in high spirits and am getting my London Bridge legs back  :thumbsup:

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #4656 on: 25 February, 2011, 09:40:42 am »
Sometimes, going over Battersea Bridge, I find myself trapped behind a slow cyclist (sometimes as part of a train of fellow prisoners), somebody who feels the need to spin slowly over that very modest rise in their lowest gear.  This morning, the person in front of me on the slow train was a girl with long ginger hair in very stylish work clothes, including a short tweed skirt, split at the back, and knee-length red leather boots, riding a cream road bike with some elan (where possible in the restricted conditions).  Probably the most elegant fellow commuter I've seen in the last year.  Oh, and she was riding in the drops, which, well, did things to the outfit described above.  Seemed a shame to overtake when we reached the far side, but I don't really do slow cycling.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

MartinGT

« Reply #4657 on: 25 February, 2011, 09:44:36 am »
Hehe itsbruce, thats painted a nice picture for me :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4658 on: 25 February, 2011, 10:00:52 am »
I got a proper commute today.  I wasn't expecting much, but it was pretty fast for me, and I was pretty proud of myself (and pleased to be back on the fixed).

Chest hurts quite bad now, though.  I sneezed & coughed a bit ago, and it's agony.  Hip's just stiff getting on & off, but, so long as I don't push the souplesse, it's working well enough for fixed.

Wonderful morning :D
Getting there...

simonp

« Reply #4659 on: 25 February, 2011, 10:24:01 am »
Working from home today. About to start work in 6 minutes.

« Reply #4660 on: 25 February, 2011, 10:59:44 am »
Sometimes, going over Battersea Bridge, I find myself trapped behind a slow cyclist (sometimes as part of a train of fellow prisoners), somebody who feels the need to spin slowly over that very modest rise in their lowest gear.  This morning, the person in front of me on the slow train was a girl with long ginger hair in very stylish work clothes, including a short tweed skirt, split at the back, and knee-length red leather boots, riding a cream road bike with some elan (where possible in the restricted conditions).  Probably the most elegant fellow commuter I've seen in the last year.  Oh, and she was riding in the drops, which, well, did things to the outfit described above.  Seemed a shame to overtake when we reached the far side, but I don't really do slow cycling.

This is where 'a picture is worth 1,000 words'

« Reply #4661 on: 25 February, 2011, 11:01:24 am »
Yeah, where is the camera footage?   ;D
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Rimnod

« Reply #4662 on: 25 February, 2011, 12:29:54 pm »
<grump> Royal visit in St Andrews.  No more to be said on the matter</grump>

sigod

• Commuter Proof
    • Tinyfish
« Reply #4663 on: 25 February, 2011, 03:11:26 pm »
One of those mornings where I found my legs had absolutely no power in them at all (no matter how much I tucked my knees in). I pootled along feeling grumpy as I was passed by the world and his wife.

I might have a cold....yes that's it. I'll use that as my excuse!

One wonders what delights in the effort department I'll receive on the return leg tonight.
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.
 - Mark Twain

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4664 on: 25 February, 2011, 04:26:28 pm »
Do you have return-specific legs? :)

sigod

• Commuter Proof
    • Tinyfish
« Reply #4665 on: 25 February, 2011, 04:53:45 pm »
 :) Now that is a question which is going to fester in my mind.
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.
 - Mark Twain

n0seblunt

« Reply #4666 on: 25 February, 2011, 10:38:06 pm »
Ran my commute today. To be honest, it's far less stressful pounding the pavements than it is on the roads. If only my legs weren't so ruined afterwards....

Androcles

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #4667 on: 26 February, 2011, 12:12:41 am »
Only my second commute this year.  Fairly steady ride in against the breeze and a lovely ride back with said breeze at my back.  Usually takes a bit longer to get back due to elevation difference but today I was 3 mins faster on the return.  For the first time this year I felt as if I'm getting a bit faster, in fact I was going at my usual summer commute speed rather than what I expect in February.

Just need to get my head around the early start and do it more regularly.
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream

« Reply #4668 on: 28 February, 2011, 08:20:44 am »
After last week's gloomy conditions, I was pleasantly surprised to see how light it was by 6:30 this morning.  BST (battery saving time) will be with us soon (for a while, before BST comes in).

MartinGT

« Reply #4669 on: 28 February, 2011, 08:55:04 am »
Nice commute this morning, not too much traffic, although did notice when I got to work my rear light had died :(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4670 on: 28 February, 2011, 11:31:06 am »
Not a great commute.  Pain's had a bit of a resurgence.  Drivers were completely insane ( I had two left hooks on consecutive junctions ::-) as well as an abusive bus driver, and an M&S artic driver who thought he was on a bike, so made use of the CSH and the ASL >:( ).

Oh, and the roads were crammed with barely-moving motor vehicles.  This city is FULL!
Getting there...

simonp

« Reply #4671 on: 28 February, 2011, 11:45:30 am »
28 minutes!

Towing a trailer. 71". Headwind. Long route. Tired legs. Hadn't locked front door; went back after 1 minute to check.

spindrift

« Reply #4672 on: 28 February, 2011, 12:51:08 pm »
First commute in the dark with a new Smart 6000 candle power front light, a car swooped past and overtook just before a red, then edged forwards because the light was flashing and illuminating the inside of the car like a provincial disco.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #4673 on: 28 February, 2011, 03:14:32 pm »
First commute out on the temporary replacement bike. Man its heavy and its weird to be sat upright, but I think I am going to be burning more calories with this bike  :)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4674 on: 28 February, 2011, 05:18:15 pm »
BST (battery saving time) will be with us soon (for a while, before BST comes in).

I was looking forward to BST until I remembered that it makes mornings darker again for a while. I'm really not keen on this proposal to shunt the clocks forward permanently. I find it really hard to get out of bed in winter as it is.

Anyway, it is noticeably lighter in the mornings now, to the extent that I'm even considering starting up my longer commute ride again.  :thumbsup:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."