Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2518859 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #5525 on: 09 May, 2011, 11:21:08 am »
Nice ride in.  First half with Butterfly, as is becoming usual now.  She was pretty fast this morning, which was nice. :)

Things are changing.  We counted eight cyclists (including us) riding between Carshalton & Mitcham Common.

Getting there...

« Reply #5526 on: 09 May, 2011, 12:07:38 pm »
My ride in was utterly blighted by traffic this morning. In part because I have to come in to the back of the work site, rather than the front due to roadworks in Exhibition Road. Unfortunately, in it's wisdom, the council has roadworks going on in Queensgate which runs parallel to Exhibition Road as well, so I'm stuck in traffic whichever way I go.
This morning also seemed to have massive amounts of school run traffic.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #5527 on: 09 May, 2011, 12:09:11 pm »
Coming onto the lower forecourt at work two lanes merge, and a separate lane forms to lead off left for the up ramp (closed) and the off-duty taxi park. I carried straight one as the two lanes merged to receive a 'beep' from behind me. The car in question then overtook me in the left filter lane before cutting back in front of me from my left, at a queue of standing traffic.
I asked:
Q What was that for?
A You were dithering about in front of me.
Q I was riding correctly.
A You didn't signal
Q I was going straight ahead, that's why! Why did you undertake me?
A You were dithering. We are in a hurry.
Q Have you read the Highway Code?

Window wound up. Funnily enough, I then 'dithered' into the airport rather quicker than she did.

sigod

• Commuter Proof
    • Tinyfish
« Reply #5528 on: 09 May, 2011, 12:53:17 pm »
Bah! My right knee is causing me no end of problems at the moment. Something seems to be moving about down there and making the few intitial downstrokes when setting off from traffic lights a bit of a task and a half. A visit to the doctors is on the cards I think before things get any worse.

I saw a couple having a row at the side of the road this morning and as I passed by, I heard the woman say:

'If you'd returned it to where it bloody belonged in the first place, none of this would have happened!'

That thought is going to keep me up at nights.
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.
 - Mark Twain

« Reply #5529 on: 09 May, 2011, 01:41:43 pm »
My ride in was utterly blighted by traffic this morning. In part because I have to come in to the back of the work site, rather than the front due to roadworks in Exhibition Road. Unfortunately, in it's wisdom, the council has roadworks going on in Queensgate which runs parallel to Exhibition Road as well, so I'm stuck in traffic whichever way I go.
This morning also seemed to have massive amounts of school run traffic.

I haven't used Exhibition Road for something like 12 months, and doubt I'll be using it again in much less time than that.

I've found that sometimes the Harrington Road / Queensgate junction can be faster, the temporary traffic lights which they had there for a while certainly changed faster, so you spent less time twiddling your thumbs waiting for them to change.

Of course, I deliberately travel later, both morning and evening, to miss the majority of the traffic.

It's been nice and sunny for the commute recently. :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #5530 on: 09 May, 2011, 01:48:06 pm »
Sure, Ben's channel is bbborp, and a direct link to the video is here:

YouTube
        - AM06 VNT Prick in an Aston Martin

"do you know what amber means"
"Yeah, go through if it's safe"

Cyclist didn't pick him up on that. Totally effing wrong,  pillock (the aston martin driver).

[edited to make it clear I meant the driver was a pillock, not the cyclist]
<i>Marmite slave</i>

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #5531 on: 09 May, 2011, 02:02:39 pm »
Sorry, arguing with pillocks is hard.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #5532 on: 09 May, 2011, 09:50:45 pm »

You done good  ;D.  The guy's obviously got a bit of an inferiority complex.  I mean - a 5 year old aston martin?  Loser!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #5533 on: 09 May, 2011, 09:56:08 pm »
I had this yesterday:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xR0idZX-dgI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/xR0idZX-dgI&rel=1</a>

And also an email from Roadsafe suggesting that they intend to prosecute this driver:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7X3Usj7tZ0Q&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/7X3Usj7tZ0Q&rel=1</a>
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #5534 on: 09 May, 2011, 10:15:47 pm »
A suicide rabbit tried to commit hari kari in my front wheel this morning.  Luckily it didn't and I hadn't left the village so it wouldn't have been far to return home and get the other bike.

« Reply #5535 on: 09 May, 2011, 11:17:42 pm »

I'd have just ignored him. Chances are he'd honk his horn even more and people would start staring at him and wondering why he was sitting in his car, honking his horn for no apparrent reason.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5536 on: 10 May, 2011, 08:18:43 am »
Well handled, though.  He was a complete arse, and now there is a video on the interwebs with three pages of comments on how much of an arse he is.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5537 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:01:51 am »
Last night, at Oval, I saw a woman whose mudguard had collapsed, throwing her off, and resulting in a completely pringled front wheel.  There wasn't anything I could practically do to help her, so wished her luck in her hope of catching a bus (I advised her to call it 'luggage' :-\ ).
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5538 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:08:49 am »
This morning, I was up early because Butterfly needed to be in work early, so I managed to add a bit of a loop.  I rode across Clapham Common and over the river, turning right (yes, that has got a bit trickier, hasn't it?), and zooming along Embankment at speeds approaching 40kph with an absurd freak tailwind, allowing me ot overtake swathes of regular commuters.  There's much more to do on CS8, but the length of solid white line delineating it is welcome to any regular users of CS7.

Through Parliament Square, and back across the river (I like the next bit of Embankment, but it's a faff getting back up to the bridges), then through Waterloo at a clip and to Borough, where the Southbound High St is closed.  Never mind, I rode through the back streets of Southwark, and did four laps of a local square to add an extra gratuitous kilometre just for fun.

Sunshine, tailwind, too early for the motor traffic to have snarled themselves up much - what's not to like.

I did spare a thought for those who commute West into London, and do feel sorry for the slog they'd have had today :(
Getting there...

« Reply #5539 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:25:05 am »
An excellently sunny morning to be out on a bike today.   I took over from Clarions puncture repair duties on CS7 and helped a lass at Clapham Common.

I then rolled along for a bit chatting to another newbie and advising them not to go down the inside of buses, and to generally take up more space as the curb is not your friend.

It was just a nice day for not taking the ride too seriously and taking some time to enjoy it.
Just someone's butler

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #5540 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:31:54 am »
Averaged 19.8mph between brentwood and Aldwych tube station on my extended commute route  :smug:, London traffic then killed it to 18.5mph, I think it was the B-twin lycra shoe covers then gave me that extra aero-dynamic edge  ???
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5541 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:34:07 am »
Good work, darkpoint!  I didn't ride CS7 beyond Balham this morning (nor will do for the next two days).  I note your comment that I have thus far been invisible.  I suspect this has been because I have been travelling through slightly later for the last couple of weeks.  And now I'm riding in much earlier.

I'm not deliberately avoiding you - honest!
Getting there...

« Reply #5542 on: 10 May, 2011, 10:08:08 am »
Good work, darkpoint!  I didn't ride CS7 beyond Balham this morning (nor will do for the next two days).  I note your comment that I have thus far been invisible.  I suspect this has been because I have been travelling through slightly later for the last couple of weeks.  And now I'm riding in much earlier.

I'm not deliberately avoiding you - honest!

That's ok,  I believe you. 
Just someone's butler

simonp

« Reply #5543 on: 10 May, 2011, 10:58:50 am »
Was I going to be particularly slow after the spinning class last night?  No!

No indeed, 47.2kph on Elizabeth Way overtaking the slow-moving traffic.  :smug:

That on a 67" gear, so ~150rpm on the flat.

Did I mention I'm knackered?

« Reply #5544 on: 10 May, 2011, 02:28:36 pm »
Well, first there was the oncoming numpty in London numpty commuter uniform (yellow jacket, helmet with visor, bike with flat bars) who decided to overtake someone else on the cycle path through Tooting Common and forced me onto the grass.

Then there was the mad bint in a RAV4 who decided all that stuff about driving on the left and giving way to oncoming traffic if you're on the wrong side of the road because you're passing parked vehicles on your left didn't apply to her.

Added to which, the headwind.

Not the best trip i've had.
The journey is always more important than the destination

sigod

• Commuter Proof
    • Tinyfish
« Reply #5545 on: 10 May, 2011, 04:59:31 pm »

At least you have the wind at your back for the return trip.
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.
 - Mark Twain

simonp

« Reply #5546 on: 10 May, 2011, 05:07:03 pm »

At least you have the wind at your back for the return trip.

Well you've jinxed that.

ian

« Reply #5547 on: 10 May, 2011, 05:10:56 pm »
I followed a car that was wavering all over a road like a drunk bumble bee that had just been thwacked with a tennis racquet. I'd like to blame it on the fact that he was of the established fraternity of the private hire vehicle (with the roundel of doom to prove it), but the source of his erratic driving seemed primarily to be that he was hanging out of the door trying to observe the underside of his vehicle. It wasn't a quick glance, he was still doing it several seconds later as he disappeared under the tram/train bridge.

I really think that sometimes commonsense should organise an intervention.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #5548 on: 10 May, 2011, 05:19:31 pm »

I really think that sometimes commonsense should organise an intervention.

A quick google for "man runs himself over" gets enough results to back you up, there.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #5549 on: 10 May, 2011, 06:31:18 pm »
Absolute mobile phone fest today on the way home, sadly only this one came out clearly enough for Roadsafe & Employers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d26gZOjRMGw