Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2518692 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #9275 on: 12 March, 2012, 08:55:41 am »
Can't say what it was like as I couldn't see anything!
Wish I'd not taken the rear lights off last week!
But, drivers, please:dipped headlights in fog. Sidelights or no lights are completely useless...

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9276 on: 12 March, 2012, 09:31:44 am »
A foggy day in London Town...
Getting there...

« Reply #9277 on: 12 March, 2012, 09:36:33 am »
I've heard welding rod would take paintwork out nicely, but sure piano wire is good too. And the advantage over and umbrella is it's lighter and should flex if struck rather than push you over.

You could be right. I'd no idea about welding rod doing that, I just thought it might be too noodley.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #9278 on: 12 March, 2012, 09:41:06 am »
I've heard welding rod would take paintwork out nicely, but sure piano wire is good too. And the advantage over and umbrella is it's lighter and should flex if struck rather than push you over.

In the past, I'm sure I've also proposed a telescopic car aerial with a little 'flag' on the end, as a home-made 'lollipop'. Away from the open road, this can then be retracted should you find yourself riding in traffic.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #9279 on: 12 March, 2012, 09:42:01 am »
Had a lovely commute yesterday, just full of sun and joy, and mostly lovely drivers. Told one lady after we'd been together in the same stretch of traffic from New Cross to Vauxhall that she was the best driver I'd seen in more than two weeks, she said "Oh I love you!!". :D I'm sure I interacted with more than 10-15,000 drivers in that time, so it wasn't said lightly. She just drove beautifully, calmly, excellent anticipation, indication, etc. Top notch.

I only wish my own riding/driving was as good as hers. I nearly screwed up big time on a fast 35mph descent of Bromley Hill with a big misjudgement on my part. Lady in a Punto turned right out of a side road to go in the same direction as me. It was late, and definitely not giving way as she should have, so I flicked the bike around her, only to see her in my mirrors turning right again into the next side street. Oops! And she was indicating, I just assumed it was a non-cancelled indicator.  I should and could have just about braked very hard behind her.  I wonder if I have the moral courage to upload it, and submit it to Silly Cyclists?

« Reply #9280 on: 12 March, 2012, 09:59:47 am »
Very foggy.

« Reply #9281 on: 12 March, 2012, 10:32:47 am »
  I should and could have just about braked very hard behind her.  I wonder if I have the moral courage to upload it, and submit it to Silly Cyclists?
Well, you've admitted it on here!

We all make mistakes at times.  Even very careful riders.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #9282 on: 12 March, 2012, 10:58:10 am »
Faffed way too much this morning, so caught the tube.  BUT, to justify inclusion in this thread, I grabbed a Norris Bike from Bow Road station.  It was a bit odd being passed by so many cyclists, but I'll learn to cope.  Wasn't sure how long the journey would take, but made it with 10 min. to spare.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9283 on: 12 March, 2012, 11:22:03 am »
Had one of those weird rides in this morning where my legs felt heavy and I felt generally tired and not at all up for it, but I still managed an average speed of 24.7km/h, which is no slower than usual - slightly quicker, in fact.

Hardly any wind at all - a very slight headwind if anything - so that's not the answer.

Not that I'm complaining, mind.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #9284 on: 12 March, 2012, 12:09:47 pm »
Very foggy at 5am, couldn't see where on earth I was going.

Really felt the Chiltern 200k yesterday in my legs this morning too, I don't normally feel this rubbish on a Mon morning, must be getting old.

Commute home is via the hospital, having a mole cut off- so its longer, but at least it will be in daylight as my appt is 4.30. Can't remember the last time I commuted in daylight!!!

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #9285 on: 12 March, 2012, 12:14:30 pm »
Fastest commute of the year so far @ 17.7mph avg & I wasn't really trying  :)
Obviously it will be a headwind on the way back  :demon:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #9286 on: 12 March, 2012, 02:27:57 pm »
Back into the UK on Saturday and out to the shops. Approaching the roundabout at Balcombe Road and Victoria Road I took the left turn lane. Braking because a car was turning across me, legally...that was when the Ovlov sort of overtook me.

By 'sort of', I mean got level, pulled left, and forced me to ride into the kerb as he slammed on his anchors. Then he turned left, as if I wasn't there, only to come up against the traffic light queue, where I caught him up.

He heard what I called him, because he blew his horn and drove at me. Neither of the two things I was hoping for happened, which were that his foot would slip off the clutch and crunch his car, or that he would drive into the bollard I ducked behind just in case. Pastel sweater, florid face; I hope his heart attack says hello before he kills someone.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #9287 on: 12 March, 2012, 06:40:23 pm »
I was on the cycle path by the Mall and a small police convoy came out of St James's Palace accompanying the Countess of Wessex. I then pulled over in Storey's Gate as another convoy was promising to turn into it. Sure enough a car passed with the Duchess of Cornwall, and presumably Prince Charles though I didn't him, in it. I tucked in behind and we went down towards Westminster Abbey. I waved regally from my bike at the assembled throng and a goodly number of them appeared suitably entertained.

« Reply #9288 on: 12 March, 2012, 06:43:26 pm »
Foggy on the way home too, until I got withing 1.5 miles then the sun came out in the Vale.  A lovely way to finish the ride.

« Reply #9289 on: 12 March, 2012, 07:09:06 pm »
  I should and could have just about braked very hard behind her.  I wonder if I have the moral courage to upload it, and submit it to Silly Cyclists?
Well, you've admitted it on here!

We all make mistakes at times.  Even very careful riders.

Yes, totally. The camera makes it impossible to avoid learning how I c0cked it up, and thus learning from it for the future. I often go back and look at situations where I felt in conflict or under stress.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #9290 on: 12 March, 2012, 07:38:17 pm »
Forgot that this morning I really felt like I was in the Netherlands for a moment. A mum and her child one their own bikes cycling on the road, followed by a mum with her c.10 year old daughter sitting on the pannier rack just as they do in Holland. It made my heart sing!

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #9291 on: 12 March, 2012, 07:46:49 pm »
Not a good journey tonight.

First I came the closest I ever have to being taken out. Muppet came onto the roundabout...............................

Well it seems like Muppets on RAB's are like busses, nothing for three and a half years, then two in two months. Same roundabout too. I had to make use of THE VOICE

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9292 on: 12 March, 2012, 08:30:20 pm »
Funnily enough, the drivers of sarf lahndan kept this in my mind all the way home:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/42cRLsZ4Qmw&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/42cRLsZ4Qmw&rel=1</a>
Getting there...

« Reply #9293 on: 12 March, 2012, 09:24:07 pm »
Lovely ride in in the sun this morning, legs just working, pedal no longer clunking. Bar the bus trying to squish me it was a good good commute.

Spend all day looking forward to a ride home in the sunshine. Got outside and not much more than 10m visibility, where on Earth did all that fog come from, it was still nice at 3pm so had only had a couple hours to appear.

Still a damn fine ride home though, not much wind today which beats the usual homeward head wind.

Made good time on both rides particularly given that I had to walk the 1/3 mile stretch through the park as some idiots had decided to smash beer bottles all along the path.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Wonky

• Not exactly straight or narrow
On the commute today
« Reply #9294 on: 12 March, 2012, 09:52:31 pm »
Lovely ride in this morning through the windless fog. Set a record time, a really clean chain helped.
A good day at work, was offered a new job.
Was running a little late in the evening, had to pick up my daughter, so set a record time home too. It was warm enough to dispense with the jacket. I really need to invest in some summer gear now.
On the record run home, all the traffic lights were in my favour, and the motons seemed to sense my purposness and just fell into line.
A good day.

« Reply #9295 on: 12 March, 2012, 10:17:34 pm »
This morning I decided not to wear a base layer for the first time this year, the first few moments I thought I'd made a mistake but was fine once I warmed up.

I was glad I did bother to bungee my waterproof jacket to the rack though as the fog was very dampening on the way home.

Oh and why oh why drive round in <10m visibility without even your side lights on? Wasn't just one or two cars but loads of them. Fuckwits.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

plum

« Reply #9296 on: 12 March, 2012, 10:18:15 pm »
100 yards from work there's a horrid crunching sensation from the back end and all motion stops. I get off and look and the [broken] chain is wrapped around the [broken] rear derailer which was wrenched off the frame and is now wedged in between a bunch of [broken] spokes and the [severely dented] right side chainstay. I think even the dropout might be broken. Everything just smashed. No idea what got tangled in what to cause it but it's definitely what I would call catastrophic. Nothing has survived, arse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #9297 on: 12 March, 2012, 10:35:21 pm »
Bugger  :-[

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #9298 on: 13 March, 2012, 06:51:33 am »
:( Sorry to hear that plum.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #9299 on: 13 March, 2012, 06:53:51 am »
:( Sorry to hear that plum.
+1.  Glad to hear you're not hurt.  The other silver lining is that you can now fettle with purpose.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip