Author Topic: Mr Pickwick's March Madness  (Read 6080 times)

Mr Pickwick's March Madness
« on: 01 March, 2010, 02:53:02 pm »
Forgive me if this has already been raised (can't see anything on first four pages), but is anyone else here travelling down to Tewkesbury at sparrow-fart (0700 start  :o) next Saturday for this tour of Herefordshire and Forest of Dean?  Also involves those lanes around Slimbridge that (whenever I've ridden them) seem to be knee-deep in mud.

I spent a few fruitless minutes last night trying to follow the routesheet on the OS maps, but I'm sure it will be OK on the day.

Good weather has, I hope, been booked.

border-rider

Re: Mr Pickwick's March Madness
« Reply #1 on: 01 March, 2010, 02:58:26 pm »
I shall be there

The 7 am start means I may not need to deploy my new lights, but I shall endeavour to have a chain which is less agricultural in nature than when you last saw it ;)

Also involves those lanes around Slimbridge that (whenever I've ridden them) seem to be knee-deep in mud.

Or perhaps I shan't bother :)

« Reply #2 on: 01 March, 2010, 03:43:26 pm »
Toby and I shall be in attendance. Lanes from bridge to halmore are ok, but some of those near slimbridge are a bit icky. Just about to ride home on the Gloucester to frampton roads but they should be fine.

Looks like a fiddly route through Gloucester then a blast up the a38 back to base.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #3 on: 01 March, 2010, 03:51:09 pm »
Yep, I'll  be there but also need to give my chain some TLC before then  ;)
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

marcus

« Reply #4 on: 01 March, 2010, 03:52:22 pm »
Yes, I'll be there. Those lanes around Slimbridge were pretty awful on Dr Foster's Winter Warmer a few weeks ago & I don't suppose they've improved since!

« Reply #5 on: 01 March, 2010, 05:00:22 pm »
Useful comments about those Slimbridge lanes.  It's not a lot further to make for the A38 a little further down and thus avoid the problem.

I agree that the passage through Gloucester looks fiddly.  Haven't been there for years.  Wondering whether the road round to the west is easier (B4008 Bristol Road, Southgate Street, The Quay, St Oswalds Road looks OK on GoogleMaps).  Or is that a "nightmare road"?

« Reply #6 on: 01 March, 2010, 05:10:46 pm »
Party of 3 from Aber going.  Stopping over in Gloucs on Friday night to avoid travelling stupidly early...

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #7 on: 01 March, 2010, 05:18:38 pm »
I'll be there - provided that the currently forecast snow & freezing temperatures don't make things too risky (I'm highly ice-adverse  :-[).
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

« Reply #8 on: 01 March, 2010, 06:36:26 pm »
Just ridden the Frampton/Saul to Gloucester stretch and it is fine ( Very bloody big severn bore tomorrow morning btw!!!)

« Reply #9 on: 01 March, 2010, 09:49:42 pm »
Unable to make this one, looking at Making Hay next, followed by the Dean...
Enjoy all!

« Reply #10 on: 02 March, 2010, 12:46:54 pm »
Just ridden the Frampton/Saul to Gloucester stretch and it is fine ( Very bloody big severn bore tomorrow morning btw!!!)

Ventured out to see the Severn Bore this morning at Stonebench. Plenty of evidence of the road flooding, this shouldn't be a problem at the weekend. The tide was way over-rated, quite a disappointment really - I spent much of my young life living next to the river, and have seen far better.
Mrs BlackSheep and I rode the bit from Saul recently - and lane was clean.
I think the only lane that's likely to give problems on the ride up the vale is Lightenbroke Lane - and this isn't on the route ! ! True there's a stretch between Halmore and Gossington - and that can be a bit a bit rural, but generally once the depths of winter are passed even this stretch isn't too bad (FLW).
Final reccy tomorrow, so will up-date all entrants by Thursday.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #11 on: 04 March, 2010, 12:59:09 pm »
Mrs BlackSheep and I rode the event yesterday as a final reccy.

A few amendments to route info details - mainly thanks to the sign demolision squads, but the route itself wasn't too bad.

There was about 50 - 60 metres of wet lane along the Slimbridge lane between Gossington and Halmore, but other than that the roads and lanes were quite clean.

All the controls are eagerly awaiting you, one of them is even giving you a discount.

Your update will be sent by a PM this evening.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #12 on: 04 March, 2010, 02:27:15 pm »
Unless I'm feeling a great deal better by tomorrow, I will probably not travel to Tewkesbury for this after all - had one of the worst colds I can remember.  Even if I do ride I would expect to be very slow.

« Reply #13 on: 04 March, 2010, 05:32:59 pm »
Mark, after reading that description I'm almost tempted to bring the bike with no 'guards...

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

border-rider

« Reply #14 on: 04 March, 2010, 05:34:29 pm »
I was out yesterday on Gospel Pass type lanes, and they were  much cleaner than on Saturday.

« Reply #15 on: 04 March, 2010, 10:57:53 pm »
Mrs BlackSheep and I rode the event yesterday as a final reccy.

A few amendments to route info details - mainly thanks to the sign demolision squads, but the route itself wasn't too bad.
...........Your update will be sent by a PM this evening.

Those that have entered should check their inboxes, you may find beneficial info about Saturday's ride.

« Reply #16 on: 05 March, 2010, 07:42:53 pm »
Ahhhhh!  Disaster!! >:(

Just checking my bike over, and puzzled to find rear wheel a bit out of true.  Checked, and found crack along spoke line.  Just spent frantic few minutes transferring dyno wheel into old Dawes, and fitting Solidlights (unfortunately will be using "normal" brake pads on ceramic wheel, but it looks as if it will be dry so should be OK).  Can't use saddlebag, so had to find old rackbag and transferred contents over.  Hope I don't forget anything.  Haven't ridden the Dawes seriously for a long time.

Bez

• Carpe Cerevisi.
« Reply #17 on: 05 March, 2010, 08:09:59 pm »

Just checking my bike over,

Off to check mine now. Weather for tomorrow looks not too bad atm - looking forward to this. See you all there.

border-rider

« Reply #18 on: 05 March, 2010, 09:23:13 pm »

Heh

I've been worried about my back wheel for a week or two; I've got one ready to replace it, just needs a final truing, but I've been delayed by the non-delivery of a new chain, sprocket & some other bits that would need to be changed at the same time

I made a judgment call that it would probably last the day tomorrow, and was loading the bike into the car when I noticed that several of the rollers on the chain were missing...

Cue frantic finish-build of the stealth bike from Tewdric.

A test ride indicates that it climbs like a rocket, but is so incredibly rigid that I may lose my fillings :)

I did hear a few cracks and bangs from the chain on Tuesday.

border-rider

« Reply #19 on: 06 March, 2010, 10:23:28 pm »
Surprisingly lumpy, but  a great route -  the A38 finish with a headwind was a bit of a struggle for me though

« Reply #20 on: 07 March, 2010, 09:03:17 am »
I really enjoyed this ride. Excellent cafes at Bromyard and Soudley. I thought the lumpy section was good fun as you repaid for effort up with swooping downs. Made reasonable time until I turned onto the route 41 just after the chepstow bridge. This was slower than I had hoped due to the wind. I was glad of Slimbridge cafe to eat and warm up a bit.  I got in just under 12 hours :'(

« Reply #21 on: 07 March, 2010, 10:04:31 am »
Yes, it was very enjoyable, but seemed like the toughest I'd done for a while.  A week of a cold, plus riding a bike I haven't used for several years (and is clearly not set up the same as my Roberts!) didn't help.  Very grateful for assistance of Chris (?Ballinger) on the run-in back to Tewkwsbury.

In my hurry to get essentials transferred onto the Dawes, I clearly didn't check things as well as I should - lost the clamping screw on my Solidlights, and didn't have a spare bolt of the right size, so had to rely on my backup Cateye at the end.  Also had a bottle cage break - must put in a complaint, as it was the original on the Dawes, and so only about 20 years old.

Now to get the rear wheel on the Roberts sorted.

« Reply #22 on: 07 March, 2010, 12:45:49 pm »
Thank-you all, for turning-out and rising to yesterday's challenge, your 1.75 AAA points were very well-earned.

The cafes were delighted with your patronage, thank you for supporting them.

There were 37 starters, and everyone finished in time.

We had a three audax virgins, all thoroughly enjoyed themselves - and seem to be very keen to ride more AUK events in the future.

Does anyone know who decided to miss the Colwall turn - as you thundered-off the Malverns down Chancers Pitch?

« Reply #23 on: 07 March, 2010, 03:59:10 pm »
Very bloody big severn bore tomorrow morning btw!!!

You rode then?   ;D

« Reply #24 on: 08 March, 2010, 10:24:38 am »
Lovely ride. Well recommended for next year. First leg out to Bromyard took us out on pretty lanes and then a lung-busting climb over the Malvern. Second leg to Soudley was on some of the lovliest roads in the forest of Dean but marred slightly by drizzle. Great stop at the heritage centre then the long leg to Saul.

I had thought the lanes from Chepstow would be quick and easy but over familiarity with them and a PITA headwind rendered them a bit of a drag. Cafe stop in Saul rectified everything. It is on my return commute but I'd never been there. Friendly service and good cakes. Nice lanes to Gloucester then a trog down the a38 and to be greeted by Mark and Louise at their home.

Many thanks for a great day out.