Author Topic: Hook of Holland to Groningen route advice  (Read 12861 times)

Hook of Holland to Groningen route advice
« on: 16 March, 2010, 09:59:59 am »
I'm planning on cycling from the Hook of Holland to Groningen at a very leisurely pace around the end of May over 5/6 days. No more than around 40 miles a day, staying in a B&B each night. Then stay in Groningen a couple of days (we know someone there) and train back to Hook of Holland.

Can someone more knowledgeable than me suggest an approximate route/recommend places to stop each evening? I know from searching that there is lots of useful Netherlands touring advice on the forum, but as this would be my first tour outside the UK I would really appreciate advice on this specific route. Thanks.

Martin

Re: Hook of Holland to Groningen route advice
« Reply #1 on: 16 March, 2010, 10:11:15 am »
Stayokay; the Dutch youth hostels, are excellent, not cheap but as good a lot of B and B's with good food (which will be set menu so difficult for a veggie) and a bar, just booked a couple; Haarlem and Texel, for a trip to replace the aborted 1200 in July. There are enough dotted up the coast to make a reasonable interval between each one.

Be careful of the wind; on the coast it's pretty much impractical to cycle all day into it. There is a nice long distance route that goes all the way down that bit of coast.

And you will also be riding over the Afsluitdijk; again pray for no headwind that day (unless you are planning to hop the Friesland islands but that works out expensive in ferries). In May a trip to the Keukenhof tulip gardens near Lisse is a must if it's still open.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2 on: 16 March, 2010, 10:53:35 am »
I'm planning on cycling from the Hook of Holland to Groningen at a very leisurely pace around the end of May over 5/6 days. No more than around 40 miles a day, staying in a B&B each night. Then stay in Groningen a couple of days (we know someone there) and train back to Hook of Holland.

Can someone more knowledgeable than me suggest an approximate route/recommend places to stop each evening? I know from searching that there is lots of useful Netherlands touring advice on the forum, but as this would be my first tour outside the UK I would really appreciate advice on this specific route. Thanks.

You have given me an excuse to bring the maps of Holland down to The Smoke.

I shall be in contact with you telephonically to make suitable arrangements.   ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Halloween

• It's party time....
« Reply #3 on: 16 March, 2010, 11:05:11 am »
An alternative to the very populous coastal route would be to head inland to Appeldoorn and then north through Drenthe. The Netherlands is a delight to cycle through, particularly off the beaten track. Groningen is a lively student city with excellent bars and restaurants aplenty.

« Reply #4 on: 16 March, 2010, 11:31:10 am »
Stayokay; the Dutch youth hostels, are excellent, not cheap but as good a lot of B and B's with good food (which will be set menu so difficult for a veggie) and a bar, just booked a couple; Haarlem and Texel, for a trip to replace the aborted 1200 in July. There are enough dotted up the coast to make a reasonable interval between each one.

Be careful of the wind; on the coast it's pretty much impractical to cycle all day into it. There is a nice long distance route that goes all the way down that bit of coast.

And you will also be riding over the Afsluitdijk; again pray for no headwind that day (unless you are planning to hop the Friesland islands but that works out expensive in ferries). In May a trip to the Keukenhof tulip gardens near Lisse is a must if it's still open.

Thanks. I will look into Stayokay. And point taken about the wind!

You have given me an excuse to bring the maps of Holland down to The Smoke.

I shall be in contact with you telephonically to make suitable arrangements.   ;D

At your earliest convenience would be brilliant DUG, I'm keen to start booking accommodation. Ta muchly. And of course it is a perfect excuse for pancakes. :thumbsup:

An alternative to the very populous coastal route would be to head inland to Appeldoorn and then north through Drenthe. The Netherlands is a delight to cycle through, particularly off the beaten track. Groningen is a lively student city with excellent bars and restaurants aplenty.

I will bear that in mind (especially if the wind is against us), thanks.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #5 on: 16 March, 2010, 11:40:11 am »
As Halloween suggests, there's two choices. One is up through Noord Holland and across the very impressive Afsluitdijk. There's a lovely cycle route from Hoek van Holland to Scheveningen. Some of the towns in Noord Holland, such as Edam, are beautiful old sea ports that are now on the shore of the IJsselmeer.

Alternatively, hand via Utretch, Appledoorn and Meppel. Some of that area is relatively empty for The Netherlands and has a different feel to the coastal regions. The wind can still be a problem.

LF 9 may be useful.

I'll give you some more info when I'm at home tonight.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 16 March, 2010, 11:44:58 am »
When are you travelling, NSTN? We are off to Germany in late May, sailing from Harwich to the Hook and then on a train.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #7 on: 16 March, 2010, 07:00:40 pm »

Depending on the costal route, you may spend all day going up and down sand duneson a cyclepath, its knackering.

(this is what stuck in my head from being there in the 1980s)

« Reply #8 on: 16 March, 2010, 07:01:15 pm »
Thanks Adamski.

Wow, we are thinking of getting the ferry from Harwich on May 22.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 16 March, 2010, 08:55:33 pm »
Thanks Adamski.

Wow, we are thinking of getting the ferry from Harwich on May 22.

Ah, we are going a week later.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

gordon taylor

« Reply #10 on: 16 March, 2010, 09:18:52 pm »
I followed the North Sea Cycle route from Rotterdam northwards along the coast and close to Gronigen in 2008. Tourist Tony has also done this, I'm sure others on here have too.

I've got the map of the coastal route if you want it: 1:75000 in a handy booklet. It's in Dutch,and I tore out all the "boring" pages about attractions etc (sorry) but the maps are complete, usable and very detailed.

PS: I've got the next three booklets too if anyone is interested? That's from Leer in Germany through to Fredrickshavn in Denmark. The Danish one is in English - but they've all had the non-map pages torn out.  :-[

αdαmsκι

« Reply #11 on: 16 March, 2010, 09:29:45 pm »
There are loads of decent cycle routes in The Netherlands. The long distance national routes, known as LF routes, are well signed and can be linked together to give plenty of long distance touring options. Generally these are on tarmac, either along cyclepaths or quiet roads. They're better than Sustrans routes because generally they follow sensible routes without silly pointless loops. Occasionally they'll be bits 'n' bobs that aren't tarmaced, but I've never felt unhappy on 23cc tyres. If the sections are untarmaced then I've found the tracks to be compacted tracks, so nothing too horrible and certainly better than some London roads. There's also a load of useful local cycle routes.

Personally, I'd probably chose to head across the centre of the Netherlands because I feel there's more variety in the scenery. Day 1 you could go to Utretch, and then towards Apeldoorn. I'm biased having spent a lot of time in the reedlands, but I would recommend following the LF3 from Kampen to Heerenveen. Parts of that area are like a waterworld and it feels like boats are the only sensible way to get around. It's very beautiful. From Heerenveen you could then head eastwards to Groningen.

I can also email you some scans of an overview map of The Netherlands that shows the long distance routes, if you'd like?

I've no idea about accommodation.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #12 on: 16 March, 2010, 09:46:36 pm »
I followed the North Sea Cycle route from Rotterdam northwards along the coast and close to Gronigen in 2008. Tourist Tony has also done this, I'm sure others on here have too.

I've got the map of the coastal route if you want it: 1:75000 in a handy booklet. It's in Dutch,and I tore out all the "boring" pages about attractions etc (sorry) but the maps are complete, usable and very detailed.

PS: I've got the next three booklets too if anyone is interested? That's from Leer in Germany through to Fredrickshavn in Denmark. The Danish one is in English - but they've all had the non-map pages torn out.  :-[

Those Bikeline books (which you have a photo of above) are excellent - although they're written in German rather than Dutch, as far as I am aware. I have several of the books for the German cycle paths I've ridden and they contain pretty much all the information you need. I believe some are now being translated into English as well.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

αdαmsκι

« Reply #13 on: 16 March, 2010, 09:48:49 pm »
Those Bikeline books (which you have a photo of above) are excellent - although they're written in German rather than Dutch, as far as I am aware. I have several of the books for the German cycle paths I've ridden and they contain pretty much all the information you need. I believe some are now being translated into English as well.

Certainly the cover of the one Gordy has photographed is written in German, rather than Dutch.

gordon taylor

« Reply #14 on: 17 March, 2010, 05:57:54 am »
Thanks.  :-[

I was actually just reading one of the books whilst chomping my breakfast weetabix and realised my obvious linguistic mistake. Unfortunately you've beaten me to it before I could sneak back and edit. Doh.

I'll also add to a comment above - the coastal route is flat and boring.
The big dyke is a good experience, though.

Regulator

« Reply #15 on: 17 March, 2010, 07:43:11 am »
Thanks.  :-[

I was actually just reading one of the books whilst chomping my breakfast weetabix and realised my obvious linguistic mistake. Unfortunately you've beaten me to it before I could sneak back and edit. Doh.

I'll also add to a comment above - the coastal route is flat and boring.
The big dyke is a good experience, though.

Nah... too easy....  ;)

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #16 on: 24 March, 2010, 09:53:32 am »
Wow, you weren't kidding when you said the Stayokay places weren't cheap! Especially with the exchange rate being what it is. Ouch. I will see how the prices compare with other accomodation...otherwise this trip may turn out to be rather over budget...

Thanks for the bikeline booklet, it is much appreciated.

gordon taylor

« Reply #17 on: 24 March, 2010, 01:25:47 pm »

Thanks for the bikeline booklet, it is much appreciated.

O:-)

Regulator

« Reply #18 on: 24 March, 2010, 01:43:24 pm »
NTSN - I'm presuming you've booking your tickets through DutchFlyer?  If there's more than just you going, it might be worth talking to Stena about possible discounts. 

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #19 on: 24 March, 2010, 01:48:15 pm »
If you're on a budget, just kip on the sand dunes. Very pleasant  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: 24 March, 2010, 01:52:14 pm »
With or without company?
Getting there...

« Reply #21 on: 25 March, 2010, 09:28:31 am »
Greg, it's now only the two of us; I would have loved to get a group together but getting people to agree on dates was nigh-on impossible. We are going to book Dutchflyer tickets.

bobb, I will pass on the sand dunes suggestion, thanks!

Regulator

« Reply #22 on: 25 March, 2010, 09:46:13 am »
Greg, it's now only the two of us; I would have loved to get a group together but getting people to agree on dates was nigh-on impossible. We are going to book Dutchflyer tickets.

bobb, I will pass on the sand dunes suggestion, thanks!

I would strongly suggest that you book a night crossing on the way out and back.  You'll have to pay for a cabin - but it means that you start the day refreshed when you get to the Hoek.

If you go for the cheaper option of the day crossing, pay the extra £10 to upgrade your ticket for the Executive Lounge.  It's amazing how much free tea, coffee and fruit juice you can get hrough on an 6-7 hour crossing.  ;D

If you take the day crossing, it's worth cycling into Rotterdam (about 30k) and staying the night at the Youth Hostel (StayOkay).  It's not cheap, but again it means that you can start your ride refreshed after a good night's sleep - plus the breakfast isn't bad.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #23 on: 27 March, 2010, 04:08:04 pm »
We are now thinking it might be better to camp. The prices of both hostels and B&Bs are higher than I thought they'd be and I'd rather be in my own tent than some grotty cheap B&B in any case.

There seem to be rather a lot of campsites dotted along the route we are taking. Is it advisable to book, or will we get away with just deciding where we want to stop when we're there?

« Reply #24 on: 27 March, 2010, 04:57:41 pm »
We stayed at some lovely campsites during July last year. No cars next to tents, always space for cyclists up till 7pm. We had no problems with campsites being full.
Have a look at the Natuurkampeerterreinen.nl site, although on the North Sea coast they are quite sparse.
I also heard Farm camping is good.
Hope you have a nice time, its hard to imagine you wont.
We are booked up for the two weeks in August, I cant wait to roll off the ferry at the Hoek  :thumbsup: