Author Topic: Need help loading drivers  (Read 633 times)

Need help loading drivers
« on: 26 March, 2010, 07:37:45 pm »
I got a Dell Inspiron off ebay where the former owner left all their crap on the HD.  The reformatting with XP went well.  There was no driver disc so I went to the Dell site with my other machine and downloaded to my flash drive all the drivers using its Dell service tag number.  Went to Device Mgr and tried to reinstall the drivers but it could not open them.  When I double click the driver file it will not open.  Can you guys help me out?  Many thanks.

Re: Need help loading drivers
« Reply #1 on: 26 March, 2010, 08:13:35 pm »
Sounds like the drivers are corrupt have you tried downloading them again or opening them on another pc?

« Reply #2 on: 26 March, 2010, 08:19:43 pm »
With Dell the driver download is normally packaged up into an .EXE installation file. (e.g. R58370.EXE is the installation file for the Intel chipset for a Inspiron 1150). Just download your relevant drivers to your hard drive and double-click on them. Should be as easy as that. Run as admin, if you're account doesn't have admin rights.

Shaun

« Reply #3 on: 27 March, 2010, 06:22:13 am »
Many thanks, Chaps!  Those files were indeed corrupted.  I downloaded them again on another machine with XP - the first download was on a Vista one - and as soon as I saw the hammer icon I knew the other batch were no good.  Why it wouldn't work with Vista or even if that was the problem I don't know.  The drivers worked great and now I'm good to go.