Author Topic: Full House  (Read 3664 times)

Full House
« on: 23 May, 2008, 08:21:42 pm »
This week was the first week since I crashed that I have cycled to work five days out of five. Jolly pleased with myself.

Re: Full House
« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2008, 08:34:34 pm »
Nice one, always good to see another step of progress back to full fitness, eh? :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2008, 10:38:01 pm »
Good going MSeries.

Any discomfort from the repair job, or is it just a question of rebuilding muscles?

« Reply #3 on: 24 May, 2008, 07:06:55 pm »
Good going MSeries.

Any discomfort from the repair job, or is it just a question of rebuilding muscles?

Just rebuilding really and reducing my belly and weight. The surgery did cut some large muscles though, if you sit on a chair and raise a thigh, the muscle that pulls the thigh up, in the join to the abdomen, gets worked. I can't raise my right thigh as high as my left and it is harder to do. This doesn't affect cycling though, well maybe a little bit out of the saddle. I have exercises to work it but time will be needed for it to get back to what it should be, if it ever will. I am still wary about seriously hilly rides, thankfully I climbed mostly in the saddle so once I have lost some weight that'll be OK. My exercises are aimed at strengthening my hip and core stability, the glutes are an important part of this and they are also used in 'in saddle' climbing so everything is coming together nicely. I am climbing reasonably well considering my 5 month lay off, surgery and weight gain. With the northerly winds of the last few weeks I have been able to climb the hill  home from work in the same gear as I used to. The gym work has made my legs stronger, I can turn the same gear slower than I could before so I may not be as fast but I am strength training as i do it. My weight is falling too so all in all I am well pleased.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #4 on: 24 May, 2008, 07:46:27 pm »
This week was the first week since I crashed that I have cycled to work five days out of five. Jolly pleased with myself.

Congrats - I clearly remember my own post-crash full house. It was a super feeling (even if I did stop for a fag at the top of the midpoint hill).

Unfortunately, I never fully returned to cycling in the end. Lacking in Moral Fibre.

« Reply #5 on: 24 May, 2008, 07:52:14 pm »
Not going to be a full house next week though as I have physio on Tuesday and need to be home early to take the cats to the vets. But the bus is slower than cycling so perhaps I will ride. Riding to physio ? Is that taking the piss ? At least I'll be warmed up. Need to carry a lock and my computer so backpack will be very heavy.

« Reply #6 on: 24 May, 2008, 11:32:48 pm »
Sounds as if you are doing really well after a major injury.

I rode the bike to the physio (10 or so miles each way) after subluxating my shoulder (once it seemed sort of stable).

But your injury was in a different league, and your rehab is much more complex, so ring your physio and ask what he or she thinks first. I'm dubious about the heavy back pack as you are still rebuilding your core strength etc - can you leave a lock at the physio for future times?

« Reply #7 on: 24 May, 2008, 11:46:58 pm »
Sounds as if you are doing really well after a major injury.

I rode the bike to the physio (10 or so miles each way) after subluxating my shoulder (once it seemed sort of stable).

But your injury was in a different league, and your rehab is much more complex, so ring your physio and ask what he or she thinks first. I'm dubious about the heavy back pack as you are still rebuilding your core strength etc - can you leave a lock at the physio for future times?

I have been carry my computer in my backpack for the last month or two, it is not too bad, my injury doesn't make it any different. I did mention to the physio last time that I nearly cycled, he wasn't too phased, he knows I am doing 70 miles or so and riding to work. he was more concerned about the security of my bike at the hospital. I did ride up there to visit my wife when she was in in 2006.  He did say that next week may be my final session so leaving a lock there might not be an option. I could ride to work and get a bus to the hospital then I'd have to go back to work though !

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 27 May, 2008, 05:42:24 pm »
Splendid! :D
Getting there...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 27 May, 2008, 05:55:41 pm »
Riding to physio ? Is that taking the piss ? At least I'll be warmed up.
Is there a better way of providing an up to date assessment of your recovery? :)

Seriously, it's what I do whenever possible in similar situations.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #10 on: 27 May, 2008, 08:17:30 pm »
If the physio thinks it's OK then I see no reason why not - unless what you do at the physio is going to leave you knackered/worn out such that riding *home* might overstretch you. 

« Reply #11 on: 28 May, 2008, 11:35:40 am »
Physio was cancelled yesterday, he was off sick. I came on the bus anyway since it was raining and I haven't yet dared to try riding my Fixed which is my mudguarded commuting bike.

« Reply #12 on: 29 May, 2008, 08:08:45 pm »
Bravo!  How far is your commute?

alan

« Reply #13 on: 29 May, 2008, 09:01:51 pm »

Congrats..very satisfying I imagine :thumbsup:

« Reply #14 on: 29 May, 2008, 10:46:44 pm »
Bravo!  How far is your commute?

four and a half miles each way but on the way home there is a hill that is 2.1 miles long which climbs about 150m

« Reply #15 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:51:38 am »
congrats, martin.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16 on: 30 May, 2008, 10:49:45 am »
congrats, martin.

Well done!
Was I imagining things when you somehow became 'Mike' in Arrivée?

« Reply #17 on: 30 May, 2008, 10:50:40 am »
congrats, martin.

Well done!

No, it was a typo I think, I am not Mike.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 30 May, 2008, 11:11:15 am »
congrats, martin.

Well done!

No, it was a typo I think, I am not Mike.

I know ;)