Author Topic: Viamichelin  (Read 2495 times)

Chris S

Viamichelin
« on: 26 May, 2008, 09:34:38 am »
What a shame - this really handy website appears to have become crap in the last week or two.

Clearly some busy developers have been busy making... ahem... "improvements"; taking a usable, fast utility and turning it into a fat, bloated warthog of an application that more often than not crashes out with a "An internal error occurred - please re-enter your route" error.

It used to be very useful for working out Audax routes. Looks like I need to resort to Autoroute again  :(.

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
Re: Viamichelin
« Reply #1 on: 26 May, 2008, 09:39:07 am »
I couldn't agree more, so annoying it says ViaMichelin Beta in the corner, clearly we are the testers.

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 26 May, 2008, 09:42:05 am »
I notice the old site is still available here:

driving directions, map UK, route planner, road map, Michelin Guides, book hotel online: Viamichelin

But it also seems really slow now.

Pete

« Reply #3 on: 06 June, 2008, 02:20:52 pm »
Update: tried to use the site a moment ago, and it seems totally broken now.  :(

Trying to download a map of somewhere in France, all you get is a blank screen with the "michelin man" icon and the message "loading..." for evermore...

The old site still works, however.  ;)

KidJambo

• Ex-sales manager for Michelin bicycle tyres
    • Michelin Tyres
« Reply #4 on: 01 July, 2008, 03:45:32 pm »
I use it all the time - I work for Michelin - and it seems to work fine for me going through our internal internet but is, as you all state, crappy using the proper links.

I have spoken to our guys internally to see whats happening and will post when/if I get a response! :)
No longer responsible for bicycle tyres at Michelin - although I know the guy who is - but will stick around as I am a keen cyclist first and foremost...with a Michelin-biased understanding of tyres!

Seineseeker

• The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #5 on: 01 July, 2008, 05:16:51 pm »
I use it all the time - I work for Michelin - and it seems to work fine for me going through our internal internet but is, as you all state, crappy using the proper links.

I have spoken to our guys internally to see whats happening and will post when/if I get a response! :)

Thanks for the reply KidJ,. It just goes to show what happens when something gets put online too soon and messed up, I used to use ViaMichelin all the time but I have moved on to multimap for my directions now.

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #6 on: 03 July, 2008, 08:10:26 am »

Thanks for the reply KidJ,. It just goes to show what happens when something gets put online too soon and messed up, I used to use ViaMichelin all the time but I have moved on to multimap for my directions now.

I guess it is just a fact of life but we are constantly looking to grow as a company and move into new areas associated with our core business - like ViaMichelin and also Michelin Lifestyle which licenses our name/logo out to external partners to put on their products for which we earn a royalty with none of the associated production and distribution costs (apparently we are the fourth most recognised logo in the world after Shell, CocaCola and McDonalds so are obviously in demand) - but sometimes I think we spend too much time working in areas we have no expertise and not enough time working on what we are good at - making tyres!!
No longer responsible for bicycle tyres at Michelin - although I know the guy who is - but will stick around as I am a keen cyclist first and foremost...with a Michelin-biased understanding of tyres!

Seineseeker

• The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #7 on: 03 July, 2008, 05:59:52 pm »
Why did you stop selling GPS units if you are still doing all this online map stuff?

gordon taylor

« Reply #8 on: 03 July, 2008, 06:16:32 pm »
I can't find any details of REAL Michelin maps on the site. How do I find out which paper maps cover which area without going through the entire Stanfords stock list? Thanks.

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #9 on: 04 July, 2008, 07:44:06 am »
Why did you stop selling GPS units if you are still doing all this online map stuff?

I think the market was too competitive and the retail prices are being discounted so much now that it wasn't seen as viable unfortunately! :(

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #10 on: 04 July, 2008, 07:45:49 am »
I can't find any details of REAL Michelin maps on the site. How do I find out which paper maps cover which area without going through the entire Stanfords stock list? Thanks.

Try going to Michelin map - travel guide, Michelin road map, country guide, road atlas. All you need for travelling - I think that lists all the maps and travel publications we make! :)

gordon taylor

« Reply #11 on: 04 July, 2008, 12:14:03 pm »
That is exactly what I failed to find...

Thank you kidJambo.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #12 on: 04 July, 2008, 12:14:53 pm »
Can I just say that I actually like the new web-site?  I prefer it to the old one.

[Runs for cover]
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor