Author Topic: YACF Camping Trip 2010 - Andover, Hampshire - Sep 17/18/19  (Read 76922 times)

Re: YACF Camping Trip 2010 - Andover, Hampshire - Sep 18/19
« Reply #25 on: 23 May, 2010, 03:10:31 pm »
I didn't hear any snoring :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #26 on: 23 May, 2010, 08:24:07 pm »
Provisionally interested, will have a better idea closer to the time.

LEE

« Reply #27 on: 23 May, 2010, 08:54:32 pm »

You won't have a better idea than this

LEE

« Reply #28 on: 23 May, 2010, 08:58:34 pm »
I'll cycle up to the camp-site and check we can have the "spare" field again.

Looks like I'll be forced to check the route just to check which pubs are open,  Damn you all to hell, it's a tough job.

« Reply #29 on: 23 May, 2010, 08:59:28 pm »

You won't have a better idea than this

Well last year it was the Hellfire 600 - it came down to a choice between sitting in a field drinking beer and riding up big hills in the middle of the night. It was obvious which to do, really  :)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #30 on: 23 May, 2010, 09:48:28 pm »
I'll arrive on Friday this time: it's too much hassle packing all that kit for one night.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LEE

« Reply #31 on: 23 May, 2010, 10:07:22 pm »
I'll arrive on Friday this time: it's too much hassle packing all that kit for one night.

I may join the "Friday Nighters" this time (although I'll still drive up, I just can't be bothered packing my bike to cycle 3 miles to camp).

NOTE. To anyone coming by Train from London.  I'd get off at Whitchurch, head towards Hurstbourne Priors for a couple of Km, the St Mary Bourne, then campsite (There are a couple of ways to achieve same end).  It's a nice little ride, Whitchurch has a a couple of "mini-marts" for your provisions and it's a much nicer ride than around Andover Ring-Road from the Station..

LEE

« Reply #32 on: 23 May, 2010, 10:17:49 pm »
Very possibly - I should be able to work out a nice route there from here!  Or there's always the train + Brommie option.

"Tour de Andover" route is well within capabilities of a Brommie.  Thing 1 and Thing 2 did it on Dahon "Curves" last year.  Not sure about its ability to get camping gear from Station to Campsite though.  I can always supply a small tent and sleep-mat.  Just bring a sleeping bag.

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #33 on: 25 May, 2010, 12:05:13 am »
Oh go on then.
Obviously I'm a possible rather than a definite - anything can happen in this life of course, esp. with little family.
But I don't see a good reason why not.  That Wyke Down Ale was very good.

And I promise to pitch camp a long way away from Jaded (and to come with a functioning rear wheel) this time.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #34 on: 25 May, 2010, 08:19:17 pm »
aha, just announced that Skyride is 5th September this year, rather than 19th as forecast, so the weekend's definitely pencilled in the diary for YACF camping now.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #35 on: 26 May, 2010, 11:57:55 pm »
I think I'll be up for this. Could possibly even turn it into a week trip as that's the way my shifts work out.

« Reply #36 on: 27 May, 2010, 11:23:49 pm »
I'm potentially up for this too

« Reply #37 on: 28 May, 2010, 12:54:26 am »
Yep

LEE

« Reply #38 on: 28 May, 2010, 09:02:41 am »
My aim is to set a record for the most YACF jersey-wearing cyclists in one photo

To that end I will bring spare jerseys (although Rogerzilla is about to order a new batch so you could always buy one if you don't have one already.  I'm about to buy a 4th short-sleeve as they are superb jerseys anyway).

What is the current record?

I'm going to claim 8 points

2 points for every different colour/type of jersey and 1 point for a duplicate.

4 different colour Short-sleeves x 2 points = 8 points.

Can we get a full set?  Will anyone have a King of the Mountains Polka Dot in September?  (I won't, for the same reason I won't wear a yellow-jersey, it's would be too ironic)

« Reply #39 on: 28 May, 2010, 09:24:15 am »
We may have either matched that, or just missed, on the Look Mum No Hands thread.  If you look at Charlotte's photo I was wearing a red short sleeved jersey, Geraldc had a blue jersey on, and it may not be overly clear, but Butterfly and Clarion had black jerseys on, but I'm not sure if they're identical or not (ie short and long sleeved).
Actually, it is rocket science.

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #40 on: 28 May, 2010, 12:55:35 pm »
There's actually five jerseys in that picture, although one not visible.  I forgot to bring breakfast and I actually ate one of the other campers, I forget who.  Or so it appears.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #41 on: 28 May, 2010, 02:25:01 pm »
Butterfly was wearing a black ls yacf jersey over a pink ss one, and I was wearing a black ls yacf jersey over a ss black one, so that's a lot of points just there ;D
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #42 on: 31 May, 2010, 10:18:41 pm »
== BUMP ===On the basis that you should stick with a winning formula I was thinking of organising a repeat of last year's camping trip.

Photos

All details are contained within last year's thread.

The location worked well, the food was good, the beer was good and the "Tour de Andover" was good.

This year I would reverse the Tour route such that the concentration of pubs was greater at the end of the ride.

Anyway, this is a mere "toe in the water" to see who would be interested.  Reply to the post with your declaration of intent.

Summary

There's a pub near me  Map that does decent meals Wyke Down and has a campsite  (Nothing more than a small, mowed, field but civilised enough with toilet block/showers)

It's about 95km west of London, 85km east of Bristol, 50km North of Portsmouth, 140km South of Birmingham and is right slap-bang in the centre of many beautiful southern Audax routes. Andover is an hour from London on Waterloo-Exeter line also (Andover station is 5km from camp site but Whitchurch Station makes for a much more pleasant 8km ride.)

The Tour de Andover route is mostly flat, around 40 miles and what hills there are, are very short and at the start of the ride. 

The site is very close to the Newbury Downs should anyone want to do their own thing and do a bit of climbing.  I can provide a 50km circular route that takes you to Combe Gibbet, for some nice views over Newbury and Hungerford, before heading back to camp via a superb downhill run through Faccombe Wood.

Agenda

Cycle towards Campsite from your respective homes.
Arrive throughout Saturday (or Friday if you are so inclined)
Those arriving early can join me on a pleasant afternoon ride for a couple of beers
Those arriving later can choose to follow ride route or stay on campsite (note pub is not open all day)
As soon as pub doors open (6pm) make our way inside for food and drink (see below for info about booking meals)
As soon as pub doors close wobble 50 yards back to our tents
Fall into tents and/or have a few for the road (bring your own)

Sunday morning cooked breakfasts (bring your own food, there should be a few stoves in use I expect)
Finish eating
Say some goodbyes
Start your journey home

Reply if interested

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #43 on: 31 May, 2010, 11:17:23 pm »
I'm negotiating  a pass. It's Legoland with the in-laws or YACF Camping.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

LEE

« Reply #44 on: 01 June, 2010, 11:11:14 pm »
I rode the whole Tour de Andover route this evening.  Despite only planning to ride half of it, and despite the fact that it was drizzling all the way around, it was so nice that I just decided to keep going and ended up doing 74km (63km of which was the TdA).  

It works much better doing the route the opposite way to last year as the pubs appear at more timely intervals.  It also seems a lot flatter/downhill.

I've included a couple of small diversions and, at some point, I'll ride it again to create a route-sheet.

If I can figure out why Bikely won't upload my GPX I'll also put the route up there.

This year I'll book the table(s) for 8pm.  That way, if we start the ride at 12, we have 7 hours to get back and have time to change.  It's only a 3 hour ride so that allows 4 hours to sample a few hostelries and have lunch in one of them.

I may use this Summer to perform some Pub food assessments, somebody has to do it.

LEE

« Reply #45 on: 02 June, 2010, 01:58:49 pm »
Can someone check if this Bikely Track of the route displays and works OK please?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #46 on: 02 June, 2010, 02:00:03 pm »
Can someone check if this Bikely Track of the route displays and works OK please?

Looks fine!

« Reply #47 on: 02 June, 2010, 02:08:51 pm »
It seems to come up OK, and looks like it's the correct place.

I've tended to stop using Bikely for anything new, since their server seems to be seriously over taxed, and pretty often doesn't want to return a route, or allow you to upload one.

GPSies seems to do much the same, but is much more responsive.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #48 on: 03 June, 2010, 02:35:01 pm »
Can I stick my hand up as a definite maybe for this one? 

The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

LEE

« Reply #49 on: 03 June, 2010, 03:16:42 pm »
Can I stick my hand up as a definite maybe for this one? 

Sure thing.  There may be the possibility of a convoy from West London to the campsite.