Author Topic: First Aid Kits  (Read 5856 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: First Aid Kits
« Reply #50 on: 27 May, 2010, 04:01:10 pm »
I must confess to handing out drugs like candy.   :-[

(though it's usually just antihistamines.  or astana beans.)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #51 on: 27 May, 2010, 04:02:09 pm »
I carry ibuprofen, pro plus, a few plasters, antiseptic cream and antiseptic wipes.

They rarely get used, but the only time I needed to use the antiseptic wipes was to remove some dogshit from my handlebars.  Couldn't have done without them.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #52 on: 27 May, 2010, 04:04:10 pm »
In terms of medication, I carry paracetamol, Gaviscon, uniphyllin, a number of salbutamol inhalers, sometimes my other inhalers, occasionally sore throat pastilles, witch hazel stick and olbas oil.

All for personal use only

Same here.  The drugs in my FAKs are for personal use - or for other people I am riding with.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

LindaG

« Reply #53 on: 27 May, 2010, 04:04:44 pm »
Ibuprofen is also not advisable for anyone with a history of stomach ulcers.

Which is why you should NEVER carry medicines in a first aid kit!

Indeed. I'm quite concerned by the number of people who are talking about giving aspirin to people with heart attacks. I'm quite happy to carry painkillers in the ouchie kit and distribute them to friends and relations, but a FAK is for keeping people alive until the ambulance arrives. You don't know what other drugs your patient has taken, you don't know their allergies, and you don't know what medication the ambulance crew will want to use. You should NEVER give anyone any medication -not even their own (though you can assist them in using the latter). 

I disagree.  If someone is having a heart attack aspirin could save their life.  I would give it the sooner the better.  If you make sure there's an ambulance on the way, they're going to hospital anyway.  One dose of aspirin (even 300mg) is less likely to kill them than a massive MI.  Of course you would find out (if possible) if the poorly person had a history of bleeding stomach ulcers or NSAID allergy  but it's a question of balancing risk.  

What is your basis for refusing to give any medication?  Does it come from an 'official' guideline from somewhere?

« Reply #54 on: 27 May, 2010, 04:05:58 pm »
(Not on a bike but) I once used a disposable nappy as a wound dressing.
Knowledge and resourcefulness...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #55 on: 27 May, 2010, 04:09:22 pm »
(Not on a bike but) I once used a disposable nappy as a wound dressing.
Knowledge and resourcefulness...

I have a male friend who keeps sanitary towels in his car FAK for this purpose: cheapish, clean and absorbent.

LindaG

« Reply #56 on: 27 May, 2010, 04:10:38 pm »
Do you remember the ones with loops that went with a belt?

They'd be more use as field dressings than they were as ST's.

Progress   :)

« Reply #57 on: 27 May, 2010, 04:17:10 pm »

I disagree.  If someone is having a heart attack aspirin could save their life.  I would give it the sooner the better.  If you make sure there's an ambulance on the way, they're going to hospital anyway.  One dose of aspirin (even 300mg) is less likely to kill them than a massive MI.  Of course you would find out (if possible) if the poorly person had a history of bleeding stomach ulcers or NSAID allergy  but it's a question of balancing risk.  

What is your basis for refusing to give any medication?  Does it come from an 'official' guideline from somewhere?

It's "official" Red Cross training, along with a warning that one could have one's First Aider qualification revoked. And since my First Aid training is paid for by my employer, it would probay become a disiplinary matter.

Mind you, if someone at work was having a heart attack, I'd use a defibrulator rather than an aspirin.  ;)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

LindaG

« Reply #58 on: 27 May, 2010, 04:19:30 pm »
Again, good reason for me to take a First Aid qualification.  

I'm a qualified first responder for cardiac arrest in hospital, and expected to give aspirin if someone's having an MI.

Obviously, some of those skills are transferable but ...

Things are different in the 'real world'.

In hospital you are in a position to (hopefully) avoid the need for a difibrillator if someone's having an MI.  Sometimes.

LindaG

« Reply #59 on: 27 May, 2010, 04:34:08 pm »
Just to clarify, an MI is not the same as a cardiac arrest.

Of course you wouldn't fart about with aspirin if someone had had a cardiac arrest.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #60 on: 27 May, 2010, 04:36:46 pm »
Cable ties and hip flask of decent single malt.

I can always rinse their would with a little bit of it, if they're in a bad way and not likely to make it then they can have a good swig and go out happy. If they're totally smeared across the road and extinct already then I can have a good swig to toast their passing.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #61 on: 27 May, 2010, 05:32:27 pm »
I have a male friend who keeps sanitary towels in his car FAK for this purpose: cheapish, clean and absorbent.

And better than most dressings for annoying weepy road-rash type wounds  :thumbsup:

« Reply #62 on: 27 May, 2010, 05:34:37 pm »
Zipperhead.... I'm (cough) not feeling ...so ... great.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #63 on: 27 May, 2010, 06:06:11 pm »
Indeed. I'm quite concerned by the number of people who are talking about giving aspirin to people with heart attacks. I'm quite happy to carry painkillers in the ouchie kit and distribute them to friends and relations, but a FAK is for keeping people alive until the ambulance arrives. You don't know what other drugs your patient has taken, you don't know their allergies, and you don't know what medication the ambulance crew will want to use. You should NEVER give anyone any medication -not even their own (though you can assist them in using the latter).

The person may die before the ambulance arrives if you don't give an asprin.  There is some risk if you do, but more risk if you don't.

Heart Attack - Aspirin can save lives!

(Soluable is apparently the best form of asprin for this).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #64 on: 27 May, 2010, 06:18:12 pm »
Even if you don't think it's right to adminster to others, carry an asprin for yourself if you're over 50 (some say 40).

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #65 on: 28 June, 2010, 09:17:05 am »
I have today received a first aid instruction sheet from St John Ambulance.  This is for members of the public.

Under "When someone is having a heart attack", in addition to other advise, it says: "If available and the person is not allergic, give them an asprin (300mg) and tell them to chew it slowly".

So, if you have been told in first aid training never to adminster any drug in any circumstances, perhaps that advice is out of date.

I have read and heard from quite a few sources now that asprin can be a life-saver - so please take this seriously and research further if you're still not happy.