Author Topic: Weird Watch Stuff.  (Read 4559 times)

Zoidburg

Weird Watch Stuff.
« on: 04 June, 2010, 04:15:21 pm »
This morning I attended a job interview wearing my Seiko automatic watch, the building that the interview in was small and pokey but also crammed full of communications equipment complete with two great big radio/mobile phone masts out side and various other gubbins, 3 phase and breaker boxes being rather abundant.

When I emerged from the interview 30 minutes later my watch had somehow managed to wind it self forward 5 hours.

EM signature tastic. :-\

plum

Re: Weird Watch Stuff.
« Reply #1 on: 04 June, 2010, 04:21:17 pm »

Zoidburg

« Reply #2 on: 04 June, 2010, 04:23:15 pm »
Hmmm...being an old self winder it has never actualy needed a battery, it does not contain one.

Thanks for that technical hint any way.

::-)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3 on: 04 June, 2010, 04:23:54 pm »
Have you checked to see if you have developed any super-powers since then?
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #4 on: 04 June, 2010, 04:24:55 pm »
You were actually abducted by alliens and they have erased the missing 4 1/2 hours from your memory.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 04 June, 2010, 04:28:22 pm »
Let's do the Timewarp again!
Getting there...

Zoidburg

« Reply #6 on: 04 June, 2010, 04:30:53 pm »
I know it was working because I set it this morning, I checked it before I went in and it was bang on.

Even if the adjustment had been sticking out just brushing against it would not wind it on by 5 hours.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #7 on: 04 June, 2010, 04:33:13 pm »
If EMR in this  building can do that to a mechanical watch, you probably don't want to work there  :facepalm:
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

plum

« Reply #8 on: 04 June, 2010, 04:36:06 pm »

border-rider

« Reply #9 on: 04 June, 2010, 04:38:03 pm »
I've had a quartz analogue watch visibly accelerate in a high magnetic field strength on a few occasions, but it needed a disconcertingly high field - of an intensity that could heat steel railings to a dull red heat (they're usually cut into 1 m lengths to prevent this).  It also needs a low frequency - mains or a few hundred Hz.  Mobile radio stuff wont do it.

It'd be quite surprising to encounter an electromagnetic field that could accelerate an old self-winder outside of a steel foundry or a power station.  Certainly anywhere that meets human exposure limits it shouldn't happen.

Did you get the job ? Sure you want to work there ? ;)

edit: cross post with Thor

Zoidburg

« Reply #10 on: 04 June, 2010, 04:40:42 pm »
Not wanting the job in particular.

Looked like hell on earth.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 04 June, 2010, 04:42:12 pm »
Hmmm...being an old self winder it has never actualy needed a battery, it does not contain one.

Are you sure?
I thought the Seiko Kinetic contained a charge-holding device. I'm not sure if that's a capacitor or a battery but it's not purely mechanical.

Zoidburg

« Reply #12 on: 04 June, 2010, 04:43:39 pm »

Are you sure?
I thought the Seiko Kinetic contained a charge-holding device. I'm not sure if that's a capacitor or a battery but it's not purely mechanical.
Seiko "Automatic"

Not the newer "Kinetic"

The first is an old self winder, the second is a self charger.

plum

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #14 on: 04 June, 2010, 06:18:51 pm »
You'd think that if the EM field was strong enough to wind it on 5 hours, it would be strong enough to pull the thing of your wrist altogether...

border-rider

« Reply #15 on: 04 June, 2010, 06:23:06 pm »
That would require a f'off big static field of a magnitude you'd really only get close to a superconducting magnet or a seriously big DC electromagnet.

The alternating magnetic flux density needed to mess up a stepper motor in a quartz analogue watch is about 1000 times smaller than that.  I dunno what's messed up ZB's watch, but if it's an EM field it's more likely to be an alternating one: it's the rate-of-change of field that's usually the culprit, so the higher the frequency (within certain bounds) the bigger the effect.

« Reply #16 on: 04 June, 2010, 06:23:44 pm »
This morning I attended a job interview wearing my Seiko automatic watch

Many is the time I have set a mechanical watch while preoccupied with something else, taken great care to synchronise the second hand with the source, and later found myself to have set it precisely 5 minutes /  x hours / some other dial marking out.

inc

« Reply #17 on: 04 June, 2010, 06:36:18 pm »
This morning I attended a job interview wearing my Seiko automatic watch,

When I emerged from the interview 30 minutes later my watch had somehow managed to wind it self forward 5 hours.

That's some wrist action required, the mind boggles !!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #18 on: 04 June, 2010, 06:45:37 pm »
Rule 34.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #19 on: 05 June, 2010, 12:05:42 pm »

Did you have a headache afterwards and were your y-fronts on back to front?

Zoidburg

« Reply #20 on: 05 June, 2010, 08:29:06 pm »
That would require a f'off big static field of a magnitude you'd really only get close to a superconducting magnet or a seriously big DC electromagnet.

The alternating magnetic flux density needed to mess up a stepper motor in a quartz analogue watch is about 1000 times smaller than that.  I dunno what's messed up ZB's watch, but if it's an EM field it's more likely to be an alternating one: it's the rate-of-change of field that's usually the culprit, so the higher the frequency (within certain bounds) the bigger the effect.
They do have a mast that I think carries roving frequency secure radio chatter for the local fuzz and emergency services.

« Reply #21 on: 05 June, 2010, 08:39:33 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/P7-hpQcrME0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/P7-hpQcrME0&rel=1</a>
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

border-rider

« Reply #22 on: 05 June, 2010, 08:42:05 pm »
They do have a mast that I think carries roving frequency secure radio chatter for the local fuzz and emergency services.

That def. won't be able to affect your watch. 

Zoidburg

« Reply #23 on: 05 June, 2010, 08:49:22 pm »
Lot of other stuff in there, all stuffed in to a building like a village hospital(which I think it was at some stage), CCTV control centre, a lot of desk tops and a server etc tec.

It's just strange, the watch was reading correctly because I used it make sure I turned up on time, you have to pop the dial out and turn it once per hour to advance the hands. Only forward moement disengages the hands though, it keeps ticking until you turn, maybe a tiny pawl was disengaged and it advanced it self somehow.

bikenerd

« Reply #24 on: 05 June, 2010, 09:07:10 pm »
Are you sure you didn't knock it on the way to the interview?  I knocked my Seiko 5 once and it had a bit of an accelerated moment but settled down again.  IIRC, it advanced 14 hours.