Author Topic: Route advice  (Read 834 times)

ktcita

Route advice
« on: 09 June, 2010, 09:59:17 pm »
I have just changed jobs and as such am now riding a short route from the Old Street roundabout to Great Pulteney Street in Soho.

This morning's ride was a bit of an ordeal with all of the summer cyclists, red lights and roadworks. Could anyone please suggest an alternative route to the one below? I am not averse to a bit more distance if it means being able to actually get some speed up on some quieter roads.

Old St, Clerkenwell, Theobolds, Bloomsbury, New Oxford, Oxford, Left onto Berwick then the usual Soho shennanigans to get to Great Pulteney.

Many thanks

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
Re: Route advice
« Reply #1 on: 10 June, 2010, 05:33:09 pm »
If you head north a bit first towards Exmouth Market, through North Clerkenwell, Bloomsbury, Fitzrovia along Goodge St and down Wells St crossing Oxford St to Berwick St those roads may be a bit better.  I used to live in Wells St many years ago and that was the way I headed north and east, although I knew the roads very well and took quite a few twists and turns.  The TfL cycle route planner has a similar route when you punch in Old St to Great Pulteney. I tried to put a link to it- but none of my links lately seem to work so I'll just give the address for you to cut and paste if you don't already have it.
     Routes and maps | Cycling | Transport for London

ktcita

Re: Route advice
« Reply #2 on: 10 June, 2010, 08:18:30 pm »
Thank you Jane. Am going to try that out tomorrow. It will be great to ride a bit more of a distance too.

This evening I think I either cracked the secret of a quick ride home along my old route, or I cracked my GPS - it says I did the 4.39km in 7.20 mins. I did get almost every light from Shaftesbury Avenue to Gray's Inn Road, but 7mins?