Author Topic: TdF 2010 - Comments and possible spoilers  (Read 71256 times)

lemonjiffy

Re: TdF 2010 - Comments and possible spoilers
« Reply #475 on: 21 July, 2010, 01:48:20 pm »
fortunately, i watched the entire stage on the net ;D saddo is me

Was that on the ITV site, or some other?

some other, lots of links, many but not always with foreign commentary. I usually mute the sound and listen to eurosport audio, if its sync'd.  I would have been rather upset yesterday if Id had to rely on ITV and missed ALL the climbs

lemonjiffy

« Reply #476 on: 21 July, 2010, 01:53:14 pm »
I wonder how they do the coverage on ITV, because they use Sherwen and Liggett and here in the US, Liggett is constantly talking about Versus (the channel its on), maybe Sherwen broadcasts in the gaps. Mind you there's quite a delay on the ITV coverage (like 10 mins I think).

theres also a delay on eurosport coverage, yesterday was watching online while there was a delay of over 10km on eurosports audio!!

on ITV paul sherwen seems to have periods when he talk continually. I thought Phil Liggett was taking numerous comfort breaks but maybe its when hes talking on versus

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #477 on: 21 July, 2010, 06:12:16 pm »
I wonder how they do the coverage on ITV, because they use Sherwen and Liggett and here in the US, Liggett is constantly talking about Versus (the channel its on), maybe Sherwen broadcasts in the gaps. Mind you there's quite a delay on the ITV coverage (like 10 mins I think).

theres also a delay on eurosport coverage, yesterday was watching online while there was a delay of over 10km on eurosports audio!!

on ITV paul sherwen seems to have periods when he talk continually. I thought Phil Liggett was taking numerous comfort breaks but maybe its when hes talking on versus

You can often hear Liggett doing commentary in the background while Sherwen is reading from the Tour literarture commentating.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #478 on: 22 July, 2010, 09:07:54 am »
Marvellous Liggettism on the highlights programme last night:

Quote from: Phil

And Contador is totally concentrating on the back brake of Schleck's saddle!

WTF ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #479 on: 22 July, 2010, 10:04:11 am »
Sh!tty weather on the Tourmalet today - cold and wet.

For a Tour that's seen a lot of drama, I'm curiously disinterested. I think it's because I'm ambivalent about who wins out of Schleck and Contador. I would have preferred to cheer on a Menchov or Evans or "anyone but Armstrong" if Larry had been in contention. Daft, really.
a great mind thinks alike

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #480 on: 22 July, 2010, 11:14:29 am »
Who goes best in bad weather? I'd predict a hard man breakaway looking to claim back time. Is this a Bradley day or will he refocus on the TT and ignore GC?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #481 on: 22 July, 2010, 11:20:24 am »
Who goes best in bad weather? I'd predict a hard man breakaway looking to claim back time. Is this a Bradley day or will he refocus on the TT and ignore GC?

You'd think Menchov might have a go but will probably fall off as it's wet. I wonder how Cadel's elbow is... he's one for when it gets tough.

The latter for Brad, he's got a better chance of winning the TT.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #482 on: 22 July, 2010, 11:22:57 am »
You'd think Menchov might have a go but will probably fall off as it's wet. I wonder how Cadel's elbow is... he's one for when it gets tough.

The latter for Brad, he's got a better chance of winning the TT.

Denis doesn't need it to be wet to fall off.  Falling off when it's wet is probably too predictable for him  :)
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

Tim

« Reply #483 on: 22 July, 2010, 11:29:52 am »
Lance always used to go well in bad weather. He may well have another crack at the stage win.
Given how well Lance and Alberto were getting on this time last year do you reckon Lance would be willing to help Andy up the mountains. Bit of cooperation from those two? Stage win for Lance, no yellow jersey for Alberto?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #484 on: 22 July, 2010, 11:48:40 am »
Lance always used to go well in bad weather. He may well have another crack at the stage win.
Given how well Lance and Alberto were getting on this time last year do you reckon Lance would be willing to help Andy up the mountains. Bit of cooperation from those two? Stage win for Lance, no yellow jersey for Alberto?
I reckon Lance will be completely knackered after giving it everything yesterday and his recovery time won't be as good as that of the 25 year olds.  He'll survive today.

<breaking news>After Sky said they'd focus on stage wins now Bradley's out of the GC, the first break contains both Flecha and EBH</breaking news>

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #485 on: 22 July, 2010, 11:56:00 am »
I reckon Lance will be completely knackered after giving it everything yesterday and his recovery time won't be as good as that of the 25 year olds.  He'll survive today.

I never thought I'd see the day when Christophe Moreau would ride as well as Lance Armstrong

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #486 on: 22 July, 2010, 11:59:11 am »
I never thought I'd see the day when Christophe Moreu would ride as well as Lance Armstrong

With Moreau, Horner and Lance involved, that must have been the highest average age for a breakaway group in years.  ;D

Slightly more depressing, all three are older than me and still able to ride a bike up a mountain like that.  :-\

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #487 on: 22 July, 2010, 12:15:58 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

citoyen

« Reply #488 on: 22 July, 2010, 01:11:10 pm »
I'm currently watching the live feed from Canal Alpha Sport on justin.tv. One of the commentators sounds like a French version of Whispering Bob Harris.

The weather looks 'orrible out there today.

d.

citoyen

« Reply #489 on: 22 July, 2010, 01:19:13 pm »
Some awesome descending going on at the front considering the conditions.

d.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #490 on: 22 July, 2010, 02:13:15 pm »
I'm currently watching the live feed from Canal Alpha Sport on justin.tv. One of the commentators sounds like a French version of Whispering Bob Harris.

That's probably Laurent Fignon who, as you probably know, is suffering very badly from cancer.

citoyen

« Reply #491 on: 22 July, 2010, 02:18:56 pm »
That's probably Laurent Fignon who, as you probably know, is suffering very badly from cancer.

Yes, I expect you're right. I thought they said on ITV the other day that he'd given up commentating because of his illness, but maybe I misheard.

Anyway, the sound quality got too bad so I switched to a Eurosport feed and have been enjoying hearing about Sean Kelly racing up the Tourmalet yesterday on a 1910 singlespeed. Brilliant!

d.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #492 on: 22 July, 2010, 02:26:27 pm »

Yes, I expect you're right. I thought they said on ITV the other day that he'd given up commentating because of his illness, but maybe I misheard.

Anyway, the sound quality got too bad so I switched to a Eurosport feed and have been enjoying hearing about Sean Kelly racing up the Tourmalet yesterday on a 1910 singlespeed. Brilliant!

d.

The ITV4 highlights programme showed an interview with Laurent Fignon a couple of nights ago. I'm not sure if he is still commentating but he still seemed to be very much involved with the race. I didn't catch all of the interview, but I got the impression that he was saying his cancer is getting worse but only slowly. TBH, he looked a lot better than I expected.
He was a rider of great panache.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #493 on: 22 July, 2010, 02:29:30 pm »
I liked Fignon's style, though I can well understand why the media weren't fond.  His loss to Lemond was heartbreaking.
Getting there...

citoyen

« Reply #494 on: 22 July, 2010, 02:54:54 pm »
It's a bit foggy on the descent of the Soulor!   :o

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #495 on: 22 July, 2010, 02:59:39 pm »
Hopefully there won't be any sheep on the road while descending, like on the way up   :hand:

« Reply #496 on: 22 July, 2010, 03:11:04 pm »
I'm in a hotel bar watching it on my laptop on the weakest wireless signal possible.  Nice of Shropshire Gold and crisps though  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #497 on: 22 July, 2010, 03:24:23 pm »
Hopefully there won't be any sheep on the road while descending, like on the way up   :hand:

Sheep on the road are the reason I will never beat my maximum speed down off Widdop.  I learned a valuable lesson without even being injured.  I hope that the roads are clear for all the riders.
Getting there...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #498 on: 22 July, 2010, 04:00:15 pm »
There's nothing worse than hitting a sheep on a tricky descent. Especially a good-looking one.

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #499 on: 22 July, 2010, 04:07:28 pm »
Well done ITV - ad break when shleck went!!
Faith, hope and gluttony.........