Author Topic: Disposing of old textbooks ?  (Read 1556 times)

Disposing of old textbooks ?
« on: 14 July, 2010, 09:34:25 am »
I've got a good chunk of bookshelf occupied by the textbooks I used to study for my Cisco CCNP exams years ago.  The exams they refer to have been superceded.  Is there any best way to dispose of them other than just binning them ?  Take them to a charity shop ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: Disposing of old textbooks ?
« Reply #1 on: 14 July, 2010, 09:37:06 am »
I can't imagine that most charity shops would have many customers that would be interested in the CCNP. What about donating them to any new starters you have as though out of date so far as the exam goes there will still be loads of good stuff for beginners in there.

Pat Cisco CCIE #2305
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2 on: 14 July, 2010, 10:00:19 am »
New starters ?   What are they ?   The current management strategy is to get bonused for reducing staff then move somewhere else before everything collapses!

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #3 on: 14 July, 2010, 04:31:21 pm »
I took all my redundant IT texts (Windows NT MCSE) to a charity shop. If it's one of  the the nationwide ones you'll find that they'll often move stuff from place to place or sell things through other channels - It won't necessarily be offered for sale in the shop you take it to.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 14 July, 2010, 04:34:42 pm »
Disposing of text books presents problems, depending of course upon the subjet matter.

Stuff like out-of-date computer technology is never likely to regain value.

My daughter had to clear out her school's History Dept book stock fairly recently and was aggreived that no mechanism existed for selling on these wonderful old texts which were currently out of fashion but nevertheless were eminently collectable. Quite a lot of them, rather than end up in skips, found their way either onto her bookshelves, those of her colleagues or in her loft.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 14 July, 2010, 04:49:10 pm »
Stuff like out-of-date computer technology is never likely to regain value.

Depends... my wife has an original edition of this book, which is now a collector's item.

Not sure that Cisco CCNP course books are ever likely to achieve the same cult status though.  ;D

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 14 July, 2010, 06:11:59 pm »
fleaBay.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 14 July, 2010, 08:28:03 pm »
I picked up three old textbooks that the library were getting rid of recently. I paid a pound for them. I see value in having basic CS texts to hand. Version specific manuals I'd be less excited about unless they had sentimental value.

Would postage be off putting on fleabay?

gordon taylor

« Reply #8 on: 14 July, 2010, 09:12:13 pm »
We donated a load of old Maths textbooks to a charity which said they would send them to Africa.
I can't find the details at the mo' , sorry, but your books sound much less universally useful.  :-\

« Reply #9 on: 14 July, 2010, 09:29:49 pm »
We donated a load of old Maths textbooks to a charity which said they would send them to Africa.
I can't find the details at the mo' , sorry, but your books sound much less universally useful.  :-\

True enough, I think they are about 10 years old.   I've no sentimental attachment to them, other than disliking throwing books away, but I want the shelf space back.

I could always take them into the office & stick them in a drawer. I think I claimed for them anyway.

CCNP long expired.   Shiny new CCNA textbook looking accusingly at me from the corner of the desk.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #10 on: 14 July, 2010, 09:59:08 pm »
One of our lecturers donates withdrawn library books to an African University that he has some connection with, in his case mainly old engineering texts. You might try contacting your local university library, they may have a similar system.