Author Topic: Plan for PBP 2011 qualifying rides  (Read 114265 times)

Re: Plan for PBP 2011 qualifying rides
« Reply #25 on: 06 September, 2010, 10:32:05 pm »
Having investigated  a couple of crucial controls it looks as if I'll be able to move the start of my (All New!) Old Roads 300, on the 7th May, to a more civilised time, either 5 or 6am.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #26 on: 07 September, 2010, 08:17:32 am »
Surely it's worth waiting for the new event calendar to be issued as there are bound to be new events and movements of dates for established ones.

The Pompey collective are meeting on the 4th Decmember in the Fox & Hounds, Denmead, to have an in-depth drinking planning session for all of this.

H

« Reply #27 on: 07 September, 2010, 09:42:11 am »
Surely it's worth waiting for the new event calendar to be issued as there are bound to be new events and movements of dates for established ones.

We're just chasing our long-suffering organisers for their BRM events as the deadline for submission to ACP is this month.

Note to any organisers reading this: check your events on the planning pages to make sure they're ready and published, otherwise they'll miss the deadline.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #28 on: 07 September, 2010, 12:24:03 pm »
Word is the Beast will be running, in which case look out for the 3Down 300km (Chalfont St Peter down to the New Forest) to complete the Willesden SR Series.

As another contender for the saddest forward-planner award (and one with a soft spot for C-st-P rides), can I read this as implying that the Willy Warmer and Severn Across are likely to be running again next year, too?
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #29 on: 08 September, 2010, 07:03:57 pm »
Sad-forward-planners may notice a few more qualifiers have been published. This includes:
600k Beast from the East   28-May

(and a 400/600 shoestring double from South Oxon)

I understand the Daylight 600 ain't happening due to insufficient enquires, which is a big shame - there is a "low budget" 600 from Edinburgh instead, I believe.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #30 on: 08 September, 2010, 07:56:34 pm »
600k Beast from the East   28-May

Excellent. Three 600s to pick from over the Bank Holiday weekend and one of them won't require me travelling >200 miles to get to the start.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #31 on: 08 September, 2010, 11:41:03 pm »
There is also a complete SR available in Devon.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #32 on: 08 September, 2010, 11:45:41 pm »

Tickety-Boo then :thumbsup:

« Reply #33 on: 08 September, 2010, 11:50:00 pm »
It'd be a shame if the Daylight didn't run - I've heard a lot of club members speak fondly of it, and I'd love to ride it.

If I had a plan, it would probably be similar to Mr Nesbitt's.  Whatever can be reached from north east England, so Gilpin's Gallop as the 200 and the Lanchester 400, possibly the Snow Roads 300 or the Reiver Fever 300, or the Wiggy 300, and the 3 Coasts 600, assuming it's earlier than the Border Raid.  

Probably the Border Raid anyway, and the Lincoln 400.  They start about 8 miles from my doorstep...

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #34 on: 09 September, 2010, 12:04:46 am »
It'd be a shame if the Daylight didn't run - I've heard a lot of club members speak fondly of it, and I'd love to ride it.

If I had a plan, it would probably be similar to Mr Nesbitt's.  Whatever can be reached from north east England, so Gilpin's Gallop as the 200 and the Lanchester 400, possibly the Snow Roads 300 or the Reiver Fever 300, or the Wiggy 300, and the 3 Coasts 600, assuming it's earlier than the Border Raid.  

Probably the Border Raid anyway, and the Lincoln 400.  They start about 8 miles from my doorstep...
Pretty similar, probably minus the Snow Roads and with the addition of Sheila's Plains rides and the Sheffrec Full Monty.  I may as well do a double SR if I'm to actually enjoy PBP rather than just survive.

« Reply #35 on: 09 September, 2010, 08:53:29 am »
I think I'll end up doing a Willesden SR.
But I need to do some hills too so that will mean lots of travel. I'm still hoping to do an SR in France, just for the pâtisserie, like.
Good job I don't have to earn brownie points.

« Reply #36 on: 09 September, 2010, 11:22:41 am »
Not that I have any plans for PBP, but my current, and as yet unapproved by better half SR plan goes something like...

Shaftbury Spring 200
3am Hailsham 300 / Mildenhall 300 as a backup
Hailsham 400
The Beast from the East 600 / Still Seething 600 (not on cal) / hoping RichF runs the MK DIY 600 as a backup.

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #37 on: 09 September, 2010, 11:35:07 am »

This is great news - thanks. Having a complete SR series that starts and finishes from Greater Exeter - ie home (plus some additional training with a 100 Miler and another 200k) is perfect for an audaxer with three very little little ones. So for next year, this means all the rides listed on IanH website (http://www.ukcyclist.co.uk/audax-uk-calendar-events-2011) and possibly the BCM. Sorted!
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

« Reply #38 on: 09 September, 2010, 12:03:40 pm »
hoping RichF runs the MK DIY 600 as a backup.

As long as it's just for an SR and not for PBP qualification. DIY's can't be used for PBP qualification.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #39 on: 09 September, 2010, 12:10:06 pm »
I plan to send a large cheque to El Supremo  :)  Might as well be well-fed on the qualifiers.

Will do Man of Kent too, just cos it's a lovely ride.  Maybe the Beast as a back up for the 600. And Matt C's 400 looks nice too.

Fancy the 3 Coasts 600 as a leg-stretcher but I'd be nervous if I hadn't qualified by then.

I have an outstanding grudge match with the BCM, but  that's for another year

Decisions, decisions
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #40 on: 09 September, 2010, 12:27:14 pm »

As long as it's just for an SR and not for PBP qualification. DIY's can't be used for PBP qualification.

Yeah, definitely not enough brownie points for PBP. In fact, if anyone with 2 kids under 5 who is doing PBP can clue me in how they earnt their pass, I'd really appreciate it.

Redlight

« Reply #41 on: 09 September, 2010, 12:49:42 pm »

Yeah, definitely not enough brownie points for PBP. In fact, if anyone with 2 kids under 5 who is doing PBP can clue me in how they earnt their pass, I'd really appreciate it.

In my case, looking after our two year old (now three) solo for three weeks while Lady M was visiting her sister down under.  Plus she knows that I would be like Yehuda on the days he doesn't ride if I missed PBP again - last time it concided with the birth of said child  :-\

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #42 on: 09 September, 2010, 02:09:15 pm »
I plan to send a large cheque to El Supremo  :)  Might as well be well-fed on the qualifiers....Maybe the Beast as a back up for the 600.

While El Supremo wins the award for quantity, the Beast From The East has the best quality food I've ever enjoyed on an audax ride - part of the reason I regret not making it as far as the second food stop last time.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Redlight

« Reply #43 on: 09 September, 2010, 02:42:58 pm »
It must have improved since I last rode it. IIRC the late night stop was Taunton Deane services where there was very little food on offer after 10pm.  Does it still have that long slog up the A30 to Salisbury?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #44 on: 09 September, 2010, 03:46:17 pm »
It must have improved since I last rode it. IIRC the late night stop was Taunton Deane services where there was very little food on offer after 10pm.

Good point. I was thinking more of the superb breakfast provided at the top of Streatley Hill on Day One. There was also breakfast at Shaftesbury? on Day Two, which I hear was even better, but I bailed before that point.

Can't remember the route. I only remember wind, hills and rain.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #45 on: 10 September, 2010, 08:34:10 am »
The Beast is back!
It will have Tracy & Di's Field kitchen up Streatley hill
Which will them relocate to Middle Wallop for the return leg.
Taunton Deane is a neccesary evil - but you get a warm welcome at Yeovil
in the scout hut where there will be Judo mats to kip on.

The plan is to have Start/Finish + 3 controls with free food included - hence the high entry fee

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #46 on: 10 September, 2010, 08:59:10 am »
Sounds nice beastly  :).  And starts <30 miles from my front door, which makes this substantially my closest long ride as far as I can tell.

If I ride a 600 next year, this has to be the one.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #47 on: 10 September, 2010, 09:23:47 am »

I will sincerely try (we have now three under three - with a pair of twins). As mentioned above, I have a full BRM SR series that starts within a few KMs from. That's, I guess, my single biggest advantage because only the 600 will eat a whole weekend. And get relatives in during the time I am on my long rides.

Training -wise (in no special order):
1) Riding fixed as much as possible. Basically I aim to train on my fixed so that I can ride PBP on a fixie. In the end if I'm not fit enough I can always dodge and use a freewheeled/geared bike.
2) Ride on the weekends with all the little ones  - 2 in the trailer, one the bike seat. Preferably uphill, of course  ;).
3) Take up running during the week - more intensive then cycling so hopefully a similar training effect in less time.
4) My weekly longer rides (ca 100km) start on Sat or Sun at 4-5am, so I am back by 10am which gives the family loads of time (they start their day around 8am) with me.

I hope it will/it should work - lets see where I am in 10 months ...
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #48 on: 10 September, 2010, 09:46:24 am »

you say: "Take up running during the week - more intensive then cycling so hopefully a similar training effect in less time."

i find that lots of cycling makes my legs very unfamiliar with the action of running because the two sports use muscles in different ways. hence i don't think you'll find that running improves your cycling.
i have dropped running from the training plan because of that: it'll be entirely on the bike/turbo trainer this winter.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #49 on: 10 September, 2010, 09:51:00 am »
+1 Running helped my 5-a-side but probably made a dent in my cycling fitness in the run up to LEL last year.

Given the choice again I would have done structured interval training in place of the two running sessions I did a week.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."