Author Topic: Interesting or unusual planes?  (Read 396180 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Interesting or unusual planes?
« Reply #1025 on: 04 August, 2015, 07:55:26 pm »
Mig29 on the ground and Su35 doing the low flyby (couldn't get the video to play so no idea if there are others).

« Reply #1026 on: 04 August, 2015, 08:38:23 pm »
Mig29 on the ground and Su35 doing the low flyby (couldn't get the video to play so no idea if there are others).

Couldn't get the video to play either, but  I think that's a Su-25 doing the fly-by in the picture.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1027 on: 04 August, 2015, 08:42:56 pm »

Couldn't get the video to play either, but  I think that's a Su-25 doing the fly-by in the picture.

Ah, indeed! Bit of a typo. I think it would have been a bit harder to film an Su35 with the hammer down!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1028 on: 04 August, 2015, 08:51:29 pm »
Just checked.  Video played... eventually.  Here's another link: http://videopay.net/video/p3jI4DrEEeWLfpNAGpT1tw?t=3

And thanks for the replies.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1029 on: 04 August, 2015, 10:03:46 pm »
Regarding the Su-25, it's a toss-up between it being a case of convergent evolution, or imitation espionage being the sincerest form of flattery, because it closely resembles the Northrop YA-9 which lost out to Fairchild Republic's A-10 in the USAF's A-X close air support aircraft program. If you want interesting and unusual, check out Ilyushin's rejected offering for the Soviet close-air support program from around the same time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilyushin_Il-102

And if you think that looks odd, you should see what the Il-102 was derived from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilyushin_Il-40
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

paul851

« Reply #1030 on: 05 August, 2015, 07:11:21 pm »
Urban landing training:

http://www.leedsth.nhs.uk/about-us/news-and-media/news-item/article/apache-helicopter-is-first-for-hospital-helicopter-deck/

LGI allow the MOD to use the helipad as part of pilot training.

Than's for that , I was at a total loss as to why it was there in all honesty , It was quite an intimidating sight as it slowly aproached the hospital .

I hope your lad's chemo works out and the surprised visitor caused what I imagine to be a much needed distraction.  Hugs.

Cheers Oscar's dad  :)  It's been a rough few months with bad news piled upon bad news but thing's are going well at the moment  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1031 on: 06 August, 2015, 05:23:49 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #1032 on: 17 August, 2015, 01:01:57 pm »
I missed the Vulcan at Eastbourne on Saturday because teh branes they forgot. Git.

But I did go yesterday. And saw and heard the Typhoon. The noise is like nothing on this planet, and when it climbs, everyone on the ground below it gets to top up their sun tan.

It also means that providing teh branes don't let me down again, I'll be at Shoreham next Sunday to see both aircraft.  :thumbsup:

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #1033 on: 17 August, 2015, 09:50:00 pm »
If I may be permitted a slight deviation...

Yesterday I walked through a famous aeronautical arch.

Well, perhaps not famous, but definitely historical.

« Reply #1034 on: 17 August, 2015, 09:53:22 pm »
Cool. 8)

I'm assuming  A.V.Roe went on to become .... Avro... As in Lancaster and others.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #1035 on: 17 August, 2015, 10:00:42 pm »

« Reply #1036 on: 17 August, 2015, 10:06:08 pm »
Interestingly, Vickers - as in the VC10 (amongst a shed load of  iconic others) flew their first planes from what today are the Dartford Marshes - not so far from the FNRttC Whitstable route.

« Reply #1037 on: 18 August, 2015, 10:32:24 pm »
There is also a plaque for A V Roe in Wandsworth. On west hill just up from the fire station.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1038 on: 19 August, 2015, 03:27:07 pm »
Missed them on Saturday, but the voice-over from a previous Red Arrow pilot is very informative!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DxP9qnX5KE

Just wish the lead pilot could have jokingly have said at one point: "Attack-a-tack-a-tack!!!"
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1039 on: 30 August, 2015, 11:37:35 pm »
This morning as we drove up the M11 I spied a large, 4-engine, tricycle gear, tall tail on the apron at Duxford.

From half a mile (at 70+mph) it looked like a B29 but Fifi & Doc are in the States AFAIK, it can't be a Connie cos the tail's all wrong. Any suggestions?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1040 on: 30 August, 2015, 11:38:18 pm »

It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1041 on: 31 August, 2015, 07:31:38 am »

« Reply #1042 on: 31 August, 2015, 01:52:40 pm »
This morning as we drove up the M11 I spied a large, 4-engine, tricycle gear, tall tail on the apron at Duxford.

From half a mile (at 70+mph) it looked like a B29 but Fifi & Doc are in the States AFAIK, it can't be a Connie cos the tail's all wrong. Any suggestions?

Depends on the colour of the plane that you saw, but the Duxford Aviation Society has a Bristol Britannia in their airliner collection, which is a reasonable fit for your description:

http://das.org.uk/bristol-type-175-britannia-312-g-aovt/

« Reply #1043 on: 31 August, 2015, 01:59:00 pm »

I saw that autogyro in Clacton-on-Sea last Friday.
It is the most mentalist thing I've ever seen in the air.
It flies sideways  :o
How does that work?
Is the pilot wearing port and starboard gloves?
And if so, who is in control? :o

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1044 on: 31 August, 2015, 04:41:14 pm »
It was mental And he was flying no hands in that photo!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1045 on: 31 August, 2015, 09:18:23 pm »

Depends on the colour of the plane that you saw, but the Duxford Aviation Society has a Bristol Britannia in their airliner collection, which is a reasonable fit for your description:

http://das.org.uk/bristol-type-175-britannia-312-g-aovt/

That fits! Ta very much.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1046 on: 02 September, 2015, 02:22:47 pm »
Though as was often the case the Nazis got there first: Horten Ho 229.  Many 'black triangle' UFO sightings can be explained, as any fule kno, by third-generation Nazi flying wings which use retro-engineered alien technology and operate from the SEEKRIT Nazi base beneath Antarctica.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1047 on: 03 September, 2015, 06:58:17 pm »
Really sorry about the very poor quality photo, taken through a chainlink fence with the target object half hidden behind a high wall at the back of the car-park of an open-air disco on the outskirts of Badajoz, SW Spain. The oddest thing is the location: it's a seaplane or flying boat but 250km from the sea. Even the Guadiana river is a mile away, and even if it were amphibian, the nearest runway is 20km away. How on earth did they get it there? It's far to big for the back of a lorry and it doesn't look like you could just dismantle it like mecano.  Any clues as to identifying the beastie?

They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #1048 on: 04 September, 2015, 04:47:06 am »
Possibly a Grumman Goose - a long way from home.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #1049 on: 04 September, 2015, 08:37:40 am »
Possibly a Grumman Goose - a long way from home.

A good candidate, but I think I spy twin tailfins on the mystery beast but googling the Goose shows just one.
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.