Author Topic: Cataract Operation, recovery from.  (Read 1786 times)

Cataract Operation, recovery from.
« on: 13 June, 2008, 03:11:20 pm »

I had a nice new lens put into my eye yesterday (12 June). Wonderful, and most brilliantly done!

Please can anyone offer experience about resuming strenuous-ish riding after this operation? What are the prospects of getting round a 200km Audax before the end of the month? 17 days left... just at the moment it feels as if the only way would be to take most of the 17 days to get round! 

Looks like my "Round The Year" may be doomed!

Re: Cataract Operation, recovery from.
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2008, 03:16:59 pm »
An "old" acquaintance of mine, he was 80 at the time, had a cataract op and was on his bike within a fortnight and using eye protection for a fortnight afterwards.

As always check with your Doctor/Surgeon!

Tiger

« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2008, 05:49:41 pm »
If you lance it with a hot needle it should get better quicker.

« Reply #3 on: 13 June, 2008, 07:58:55 pm »
If you lance it with a hot needle it should get better quicker.

...faints...

« Reply #4 on: 02 September, 2008, 08:36:23 am »
Bumping this in case anyone is having similar ops.

I rode for a gentle hour on day 5 after the op, a bit more from day 7, and managed a flat (ish) Mesh 200 on day 16  (motivation improved by RRTY).

That all went ok. Hoping to do something similar after 2nd op which happened yesterday.

Very delighted by the operations and the skills and care of the people doing them.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #5 on: 06 September, 2008, 12:35:37 am »
Reminds me, an ex girlfriend of mine had cataracts. It was going fine until she said she couldn't see me any more.

(Sorry)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 06 September, 2008, 01:17:06 am »
My Mum is not a cyclist. She had cataract #1 done a few years ago and #2 last year.
She did not seem to take things easy for long and was back to (ab)normal within 2-3 weeks. She is delighted with the results.

« Reply #7 on: 06 September, 2008, 10:06:36 am »

Thanks for both of those!