Author Topic: Brake booster dimensions  (Read 1850 times)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Brake booster dimensions
« on: 17 June, 2008, 01:36:52 pm »
As the hydraulic cantis that I now have on my tandem are capable of distorting the frame, I thought that it might be prudent to fit some brake boosters whilst the brazing is still intact.

Is there a standard size for brake boosters? Does anybody know the dimensions of Magura boosters?

It would be most upsetting to attempt an emergency stop one day and have the canti mounts come off.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Re: Brake booster dimensions
« Reply #1 on: 17 June, 2008, 01:51:05 pm »
I have a set at home which I could measure later if nobody else beats me to it...

But why not just measure the spacing you have on your bike? The standard part comes with quite a wide adjustment range - if you're making one from scratch then you can go straight to the dimension you need.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #2 on: 17 June, 2008, 09:21:57 pm »
I can measure the spacing that of the tandem canti mounts, and I will, but it's the spacing of the brake boosters that I want to find out. That way I can work out whether they'll fit before I lash out dosh.

If you do have one lying around and could give me a rough idea of the spacing that it accepts, that would be very useful and I would appreciate it muchly.

Graham
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #3 on: 17 June, 2008, 09:30:56 pm »
I have a booster on one of my bikes. It is not a Magura, but it is adjustable by tightening a grub screw onto the spacers that stop the booster fouling the brakes. I you want more info on the make and model let me know and I will take a closer look at it.

Chris N

« Reply #4 on: 18 June, 2008, 08:36:32 am »
You might need the specific Magura booster, or you probably can fudge a standard one.  See here. I still have the Salsa booster if you're interested - IIRC, the slots on the booster will fit canti mounts from 65 to 85mm apart.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #5 on: 18 June, 2008, 08:56:50 am »
If you do have one lying around and could give me a rough idea of the spacing that it accepts, that would be very useful and I would appreciate it muchly.

Do you still want the measurement, Graham? I'll do it when I get home tonight, if so.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?