Author Topic: The pet-specific bad news thread  (Read 101106 times)

Re: The pet-specific bad news thread
« Reply #275 on: 25 January, 2016, 07:23:47 pm »
Thank you all for your kind messages.
I had to take Rico, my other Siamese in this afternoon to be a blood donor for her. He is related (technically her nephew although is also 8 years old) so is a good tissue match. He is still there too as he had to be sedated- at least his blood test showed he was nice and healthy and as he is a good size he could donate 50ml of blood to her (~10% of his blood volume as a 5kg cat).

Worryingly her cardiovascular shock initially improved on IV fluids but then they were struggling to get her blood pressure up to even a measurable level. Then her PCV fell further (to was 24% initially, presumed due to haemorrhage) and reached 14% this afternoon which is not at all good (normal would be around 45%). Without Rico's blood she probably wasn't going to make it. The CT scan has not revealed exactly where all the blood she has lost has actually gone. They haven't had chance to go through all of the images yet (there are hundreds of slices from a single whole body scan), but they've ruled out the obvious places. She has no major fractures and isn't bleeding a lot into her chest or abdomen.

She does however have serious nerve damage to her sacral and pudendal nerves (they supply the tail, bladder and anal sphincter).
The upshot of this is, that even if she survives the initial shock she still only has roughly a 50% chance of survival because she may never regain any control of her bladder and bowels. There is only so long I will be able to express her bladder for her several times a day. They usually keep going for around a month to see if any nerve function is regained and then euthanase if not. I really don't want to put her thorough all that only to put her down, but I have no way of knowing which 50% she is in so it's an impossible decision.

[Aside: a few years ago I seriously considered insuring the cats. The dogs were always insured- and TBH I would not even consider owning a dog without 3rd party insurance which is most easily bought as part of pet veterinary care insurance. I've had Kiri and Rico for 8 years (so far), and in that time would have paid around £4500 for decent insurance for them. My bill so far is running at around £2500 (but it's not over yet by quite a long margin). If I was not in a position to raise the dosh needed (via credit card or otherwise) then insurance in this situation would be an absolute must. As it is I kept an unused Visa card with 10k credit limit just for this eventuality. Whether it turns out I should have insured them, or that I shouldn't, the care she gets won't be affected by budget in any way. I just thought it might be interesting to people to see the costings of this as so many get caught out and have to make dreadful decisions in this position. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.]

« Reply #276 on: 25 January, 2016, 07:32:32 pm »
Wow!
As before, fingers remain crossed.
 :-*

« Reply #277 on: 25 January, 2016, 07:38:45 pm »
Fingers crossed for her Lara.

My parents lovely 8 1/2 year old Rottweiler, Annie was diagnosed with cancer in her spleen & lungs last weekend.   The entire family are devastated (sister lives with my parents)

She's at home on painkillers & is still going for walks & playing with her toys, but I don't think she's got long left. 

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #278 on: 25 January, 2016, 10:36:38 pm »
Sorry to hear that, Lara.

We have it on two fronts atm. Daughter's cat Bexley may have to make a one-way trip soon. He has a nasty growth on his face and is in quite a bit of pain. Has been to the vet but blood tests didn't show cancer. However, he is pissing blood and is in too mch pain to eat, or to clean himself. Strong painkllers helped, but they are prohibitively expensive.

Then had a call from yonger son this morning. His dog is at the vets, having been attacked by an off-the-lead Jack Russell last night, receiving a nasty bite on the leg. Whilst trying to separate them, son fell and landed on his dog. Dog had dislocated hip, it seems. Don't know the prognosis yet. JRT owner apologetic.

Bugger, blast, hell and damnation to it all.

Word from son the younger: not nearly as bad as feared. no dislocation, but some puncture wounds and the lameness seems to have gone. Vet put it down to a twisted knee whils the dog was trying to escape form the JRT. Sone will send the entire bill to the dog's owner.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #279 on: 25 January, 2016, 11:48:19 pm »
Feline,

So sorry to hear this, my fingers are feline crossed.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #280 on: 26 January, 2016, 04:18:05 pm »
She died at 3am this morning.  :'( :'( :'(
I was on the phone to the ICU vet discussing helping her on her way because her blood pressure was falling and they knew there was nothing more they could do for her then. She died before they could give the injection though.

Simon and I are heart broken. Although Kiri was my cat for many years before Simon moved in- she became extremely close to him and he was the only person allowed to 'ruffle' her, which she regularly demanded.

Rico has been acting very weirdly (for him) since coming home- he might not be feeling 100% after donating blood, but I think he knows she is gone and wants to be near us all the time. He's sleeping with us which he never did before (that was her role), and has taken over her heated bed when I'm downstairs.

RIP my little Kiri- here she is as a very tiny kitten

The last photo I got of her- last week- a rare moment with Kiri and Rico together in the heated bed

« Reply #281 on: 26 January, 2016, 04:29:41 pm »
I'm so very, very sorry. :'(

« Reply #282 on: 26 January, 2016, 04:36:59 pm »
Sorry to hear this  :'(

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #283 on: 26 January, 2016, 04:48:32 pm »
Sorry to hear the news Feline. You don't think you do, but quickly realise, when something like this happens, just how much emotionally involved with pets we become and it seems impossible to remain dispassionate about them. Poor English. Sorry.

We were resolved at the time, to have to make a decision about Noodle, our tabby (12-13 at the time) who was mauled by a greyhound – that basically mashed her back leg (won't go into details). Long story short, we elected to have the leg amputated, praying that everything would be fine. Turned out it was. She still had spinal, renal and intestine function, and now (she's 15 we think!) is still thudding around on 3 legs, like Long John Silver, and has to claw her way up things.

We know there'll come a 'time' with our pets, but whatever age, it's never nice.

Noodle (below) in: "Take your shot, but I'm-gonna-blink-whatever!" – mode

Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #284 on: 26 January, 2016, 04:53:11 pm »
Sorry to read of this Lara.
How sad.
An enchanting looking cat  :'(

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #285 on: 26 January, 2016, 05:37:54 pm »
Daughter's cat Bexley has also ceased to be, as of this morning, although under somewhat less stressful circumstances than your poor moggy, Lara, for which condolences. S-i-l took him to the vet, who diagnosed a very severe cancer in his jaw. Bexley was already knocked out for x-ray purposes and, to quote the vet "Shall I just turn up the gas?" Jan took a grief-stricken call from our grand-daughter this afternoon.

I hope they don't get another cat too soon. When they first got Bexley they had no children. He was a rescue cat and of unpredictable temper. Several of us were attacked in his early days with them. Although he has become much more affectionate as he got older, I have always felt uneasy about them allowing him to sleep on their bed. We have never allowed our pets upstairs, either our current dog (we've had a stair gate fitted since he was a puppy) or the dogs/cats/other livestock at my parents' place when I was young. My daughter has reacted quite badly to his flea bites and they are both so busy with work and their children that stuff like emptying the litter tray has occasionally been overlooked. I have found myself doing it on our weekly visits, and it is not a job I enjoy at all.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #286 on: 26 January, 2016, 06:07:27 pm »
So sorry, Feline & Simon  :'(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #287 on: 26 January, 2016, 10:01:19 pm »
Yes, really sorry for your loss Feline and Simon. Loss of a pet is hard, but triply so when as a result of something like this.  :'(
It is simpler than it looks.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #288 on: 26 January, 2016, 10:28:51 pm »
Sorry to hear about Kiri. Thinking of you all.

« Reply #289 on: 29 January, 2016, 07:11:40 pm »

My parents lovely 8 1/2 year old Rottweiler, Annie was diagnosed with cancer in her spleen & lungs last weekend.   The entire family are devastated (sister lives with my parents)

She's at home on painkillers & is still going for walks & playing with her toys, but I don't think she's got long left.

RIP Annie  , seen here on one of her last walks :'( :'(

She had a bad night & was coughing up blood.   I went around earlier to giver her a final cuddle & she was having problems breathing.

The vet came at around 2 and it only took 1 injection.

« Reply #290 on: 29 January, 2016, 07:29:59 pm »
 :'( Devastating. I'm so sorry.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #291 on: 29 January, 2016, 07:40:37 pm »
Bother :(
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #292 on: 29 January, 2016, 09:20:09 pm »
Aw, sorry Andrewc :(

« Reply #293 on: 29 January, 2016, 11:36:57 pm »
Sorry to hear about Wow's Bexley, and Andrew's Annie  :(

Thanks for all the best wishes and condolences here for our Kiri. Life will never be quite the same again without her. Our dog seems to be extremely depressed at the moment- hard to tell whether he is just use because we are, or he is genuinely missing her. Perhaps a bit of both since they were very close. Today I saw one of her pipe cleaners on the floor and that was a real sudden gotcha moment. She absolutely loved pipe cleaners to play with- they are all over our house but Google (the dog) used to pinch them from her and eat them. He was ignoring the one on the floor today :(

« Reply #294 on: 11 February, 2016, 11:01:20 pm »
Kiri's ashes have been waiting for me to collect since Tuesday. Not managed to bring myself to do it yet. Bringing her home should have been a good thing in different circumstances. It's hard.

Rico was very pleased with his treats and letter from the dearly departed Luna and friends living with a forumite. Thank you, you know who you are  :-*
His fur has only just begun to grow back on his neck and leg. He is a bit itchy and needs lots of cuddles. He has changed personality and now inhabits Kiri's heated bed much of the time. It helps not to see it empty. At least I haven't had to unplug it.
We are not sure what we want to do with her ashes yet. She loved her creature comforts and had no interest in the outdoors unless it was warm and sunny. My daughter suggested we put her casket in the heated bed. Not sure Rico will be impressed.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #295 on: 11 February, 2016, 11:48:13 pm »
When my mother died, Morphy took to sleeping in her armchair. He never had done this before, and it didn't last long, but it made us wonder what as going on in his mind. He was little more than a puppy then (9 months) and he has never climbed on armchairs/sofas since. It's not something we have stopped him from doing. He just doesn't do it.

Riggers

« Reply #296 on: 09 March, 2016, 09:08:13 am »
Hi All, and thoughts to those who are going through the pain of loss for their loved ones.

Our dear old cat Tiggy who is still at the vets at present, doesn't know about her blood results. Unfortunately, it isn't Hyperthyroidism (which can be cured) but indicates liver and renal failure. It's really just a matter of time. Whether that's a couple of days or weeks, nobody knows, but I'll collect her this evening so she can be at home. I'm just feeling sick at the moment, but there's nothing that can be done. Just don't want her to suffer.

« Reply #297 on: 09 March, 2016, 09:20:41 am »
Hi All, and thoughts to those who are going through the pain of loss for their loved ones.

Our dear old cat Tiggy who is still at the vets at present, doesn't know about her blood results. Unfortunately, it isn't Hyperthyroidism (which can be cured) but indicates liver and renal failure. It's really just a matter of time. Whether that's a couple of days or weeks, nobody knows, but I'll collect her this evening so she can be at home. I'm just feeling sick at the moment, but there's nothing that can be done. Just don't want her to suffer.

:'(
Poor Tiggy. Hope she gets some quality time at home with you.

Riggers

« Reply #298 on: 09 March, 2016, 09:40:05 am »
Thanks Feline.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #299 on: 09 March, 2016, 06:28:53 pm »
Aw, sorry to hear that Riggers. Hope you have time for lots of Tiggy cuddles, she's another fab forum old guard cat.