Author Topic: The view from my office window (Manchester @ dusk)  (Read 2034 times)

ed_o_brain

The view from my office window (Manchester @ dusk)
« on: 21 January, 2011, 11:13:50 pm »

ManchesterCityCentrePanorama by ed_o_brain, on Flickr
Click for bigness

I rushed to snap this in the last few seconds of sunset today. Technically it's far from perfect, but I like it none the less.

In the distance on the right there's winter hill. On the fair left is the Manchester wheel in exchange square. Straight ahead of you in the foreground is the MEN arena, and Victoria station is to the left.

Re: The view from my office window (Manchester @ dusk)
« Reply #1 on: 21 January, 2011, 11:34:54 pm »
Incredible sunset tonight, I was looking in the same direction as you but from Mossley.

The stillness of the air meant that the vapour trails from the planes were there long after they'd been and gone and when the sun went down they lit up beautifully. I've lost my camera and wouldn't have had it with me anyway but it's a memory I'd like to paint. Not very likely to happen but it's a nice idea.

I had my new yellow safety specs/cycling glasses on so it was artificially enhanced perhaps. I'd have liked to have seen what you'd have taken if up Saddleworth or somewhere Ed.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2011, 11:50:50 pm »
Apparently the sky was even more beautiful before I took that shot, but I was stuck in a meeting prior.

I did my best to prevent reflections of the offices lights bouncing off the windows creating flare, but I couldn't eliminate all of it. I realised after posting some of my post processing to fix it is a little OTT, there's an overly dark patch to the right hand side of the photo.

I would have loved a longer lens (I was using a 17mm prime on my Olympus PEN which has a 2x crop so 34mm in  35mm equivalent), as it was I've cropped quite a lot from the top and bottom of this photo. It's also very noisy too.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #3 on: 22 January, 2011, 08:51:49 pm »
I wasn't really happy with yesterday's post processing, so today with a bit more time I've had another shot at it:

ManchesterCityCentrePanorama2 by ed_o_brain, on Flickr, click for bigness!

ManchesterCityCentrePanorama by ed_o_brain, on Flickr
Click for bigness

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #4 on: 22 January, 2011, 09:00:45 pm »
Nice view.

If my desk looked out over that, I'd never get any work done.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #5 on: 22 January, 2011, 09:10:31 pm »
Nice view.

If my desk looked out over that, I'd never get any work done.

Sometimes I don't! :o)