Author Topic: Horses  (Read 18389 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Horses
« Reply #150 on: 07 February, 2011, 01:21:15 pm »
I used to ride a horse which only shied at men with beards, and another which hated traffic cones but was fine with tractors or HGVs.

::-)

I think we need a thread for things horses have had a phobia of, to go with the ones about things dogs have eaten / rolled in...

« Reply #151 on: 07 February, 2011, 01:36:36 pm »
Hehe. I also rode a horse, Oliver, who was a total wuss when left alone in his stables without his ladyfriend, Carrie. He would try to tear down the stable block, kick at the walls, and whinny like he'd been abandoned forever. I could ride him away from Carrie, but riding Carrie away from Oliver was a recipe for désastre!  :o

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #152 on: 07 February, 2011, 04:02:54 pm »
I gained safe passage past a pair on Sunday. On a very quiet narrow road near well-known racehorsey property.

I did the usual hello stuff as I approached from behind, slowing right down (they were 2-abreast, the rebels!). After some delay they singled out (one looking rather frisky). I cautiously passed them, talking. It was only as I was almost level, and I asked if they were Ok [meaning with bikes], that either rider said anything to me. She barely turned her head. 1 horse still looking frisky.

So although there was no problem, I felt they could have helped things a lot by actually acknowledging my presence, or maybe even waving me past. Clearly racehorses, so I was far more on edge than with "leisure" riders.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #153 on: 07 February, 2011, 10:10:05 pm »
Here is an interesting question.

Can they pick up on the anxiety of the cyclist. I got worse reaction a week ago when I was more cautious, than I did yesterday when I just did my own thing.

« Reply #154 on: 08 February, 2011, 01:24:21 pm »
Yes

It's really important to remain calm around horse. Thoroughbreds and Arabs tend to be more sensitive to emotions.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #155 on: 09 February, 2011, 08:39:51 am »
There are lots of horses where I live so I regularly encounter them. The main problem seems to be my extra-large flags so I always remove them.

I see the same people many times, of course, though don't recognise them from behind. The other month I was approaching a woman slowly and carefully and asked "is it OK for me to pass?" and she replied, "yes, this horse is fine, it's the other one who's a bit wary", or some such statement. Anyway, it became clear from the way she spoke that she assumed I could recognise her different horses, which was attributing me with far more equine knowledge than I actually have!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #156 on: 09 February, 2011, 08:53:35 am »
Hehe. I also rode a horse, Oliver, who was a total wuss when left alone in his stables without his ladyfriend, Carrie. He would try to tear down the stable block, kick at the walls, and whinny like he'd been abandoned forever. I could ride him away from Carrie, but riding Carrie away from Oliver was a recipe for désastre!  :o

I had a very interesting conversation with a chap when I was in camping in Derbyshire last year. In his 70s, he had turned up on a BSO (albeit a new one) from Coventry, some 80 miles away. He had made a living breaking in horses and he told me a lot about his work. In the past he had also been horse camping and he was quite specific: "The 'orse comes first!" He told me about a pair of horses he had had who were inseparable. He would ride one into Derbyshire for a few days's camping, his son would ride the other. When the older one died, the younger pined and starved itself to death.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

tonycollinet

« Reply #157 on: 13 February, 2011, 05:37:06 pm »
Yes

It's really important to remain calm around horse. Thoroughbreds and Arabs tend to be more sensitive to emotions.

On the other hand.......

Cycling calmly/slowly towards a horse coming in the opposite direction  yesterday morning, I clearly saw the thought forming in its tiny little horsey brain.

"Bugger this - I'm going the other way"

And then it did. Another dismount required. As soon as I was off the trike, it was happy to come over and say hello.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #158 on: 13 February, 2011, 06:31:07 pm »
They're skittery around my 'bents because of the confusing electric fields emanating from the various lighting equipment.

Too soon after Newbury? :-[
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

tonycollinet

« Reply #159 on: 13 February, 2011, 07:01:55 pm »
Possibly - that was quite horrible to watch.

« Reply #160 on: 13 February, 2011, 07:15:38 pm »
A former girlfriend of mine & her sister had horses like that. Her horse hated being indoors, so sisters horse also had to stay in the field. He had to follow along if sisters horse was ridden, but would tolerate going out & leaving her behind. A real MCP.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897