Author Topic: Horses  (Read 18390 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Horses
« on: 23 January, 2011, 07:55:36 pm »
I've read it here in the past..

But some horses REALLY don't like me on the trike. Twice this morning, I had to get the machine off the road, get out and stand between horse and trike and talk to them to get them to go past. On was really skittish even so - prancing sideways as he went past the machine.

Still - I get the chance to have a nice chat with lots of nice horsey gals.

Re: Horses
« Reply #1 on: 23 January, 2011, 08:05:32 pm »
Yeah, amazing isn't it!  I've learnt to be super careful about horses on a recumbent.  The best way to get past is if you're riding in a group of normal cyclists, then you can get them to surround you and the horses just ignore you then.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 23 January, 2011, 08:07:22 pm »
I saw this thread and thought someone had invented a recumbent horse. Now that would be something to see!

We've definitely noticed a greater skittishness amongst horses when we are on the tandem than the reaction to solo machines. I'm sure the unfamiliarity with recumbents and trikes will be just as great.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3 on: 23 January, 2011, 08:09:06 pm »
p.s. this just reminded me of the bus driver this morning who got much too close to the two horses by Leaves Green, to be given a big back off pushing right arm from the lady rider at the rear.  Tut tut bus driver!!!

« Reply #4 on: 23 January, 2011, 08:16:18 pm »
i usually stop and wait for horses to pass .i think they think the trike with legs flailing in front is a wild animal (wolf ? ) and panic .if i am rolling downhill i find as my legs are not moving the horses rarely seem to be bothered. some horses are scared of flags .some you could ride under and they would just ignore you  :). i prefer cycles , slightly more predictable  ;)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 23 January, 2011, 08:18:43 pm »
Speaking to the horse (or rider, or anyone) to identify yourself as a human seems to help.  I try to freewheel past horses where possible, as some people reckon it's the recumbent pedalling motion that upsets them.  They're also known to dislike flappy flags, so if you've got one of those, consider reigning it in (pun intended) before passing.

Riding in a group does seem to work best.

My worst horse encounter was when I was sat on a bench eating a sandwich next to my fully-loaded upright bike on its propstand.  For some reason an approaching horse took such objection to a stationary riderless bike that it became extremely distressed and almost refused to go past.  The rider was nearly as bemused as I was.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 23 January, 2011, 08:22:25 pm »
Horses are silly things, I don't trust them at all. It doesn't help that a relative put himself in a several years long coma by being launched off one. The idea of taking such a skittish and unpredictable beast (well-trained horses excepted, the police manage it) onto the roads is similarly silly.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7 on: 23 January, 2011, 08:28:30 pm »
They're also known to dislike flappy flags, so if you've got one of those, consider reigning it in (pun intended) before passing.

But if it was a flag like that it's only because they'd be frightened of the lions.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #8 on: 23 January, 2011, 08:34:54 pm »
Horses are famously spooked by pigs. Dunno why but it's a fact.

Maybe a 'bent rider is mistaken in the tiny bit of gristle that passes for a horse's brain for a pig?

My worst horse incident happened when I found a horse scoffing my packed lunch from my rack pack. My daughter (for it was her beast) thought this hilarious until I pointed out that her sarnies had been stowed alongside mine.

LEE

« Reply #9 on: 23 January, 2011, 08:50:29 pm »
I'm amazed humans sit on horses at all.

I see a lot of them round here as my route takes me past a stable.  To me they seem like Motobikes controlled by rudimentary and buggy AI software, and some riders seem to be engaged in a constant struggle to keep the things from having a Horsey melt-down.

I remember the "Faccombe 4" were out cycling and were asked directions by a Hampshire Horsey type woman.  When we reached for a map, she asked us not to get the map out "or the horse will go Spastic".  It got spooked by paper apparently.  Yes, paper.

On one occasion I was reprimanded with a sarcastic "Thanks a bloody lot!" as I cycled slowly past a horse and rider.  I had whistled and shouted "coming through"  a few yards away as I normally do (and am normally thanked for doing so) but this particular horse went into bucking-bronco mode as I drew level.

To me it seems strange to trust your  life to half a ton of animal which may get spooked by paper and people when riding on a fairly busy country road..

Takes all sorts I suppose and 90% of them seem fairly mentally stable (stable pun not intended).

« Reply #10 on: 23 January, 2011, 08:54:37 pm »
Horses are famously spooked by pigs. Dunno why but it's a fact.

Maybe a 'bent rider is mistaken in the tiny bit of gristle that passes for a horse's brain for a pig?

My worst horse incident happened when I found a horse scoffing my packed lunch from my rack pack. My daughter (for it was her beast) thought this hilarious until I pointed out that her sarnies had been stowed alongside mine.

More like a leopard, I think. LMAO at your last para!!!

« Reply #11 on: 23 January, 2011, 09:14:04 pm »
I am very happy to share the roads with horse riders and their steeds. I find fewer antisocial riders on horseback than on pedal cycles. Also horse+rider show visible body language that can be assed for risk very, very much more easily than motor vehicles' users.

Back to OP... While travelling eastwards through Leicestershire, I encountered a rider whose horse was spooked by my tourer. She was able to regain control and explain that the cause was probably the low-rider front panniers. She said that recumbent bikes had the same effect. Her conclusion was that anything moving and close to the ground will look enough like a hunting carnivore to wake up a horse's survival instincts. It seems plausible.

« Reply #12 on: 23 January, 2011, 09:23:32 pm »
On my first horse encounter on a bent one of the two turned around and ran off. Must've been scary as hell for the teenage girl on it.
Now I tend to gear up as much as possible, and mumble or talk to the horse/rider. I've seen quite a few today, and none of them even seemed suspicious. Horses in fields were more scared today. I think two of them ran away from me as far as they could.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #13 on: 23 January, 2011, 10:11:22 pm »
I always slow down, & talk to the horse. It seems to help them recognise me as a human being, not a scary zoomy thing. A former girlfriend of mine who had a horse recommended it, many years ago, & she was right. Speak early, too. They hear you coming long before their rider does. Watch, & you'll see their ears move when they first notice you.

But it doesn't always work. Some are spooked by anything, & I've never ridden a recumbent past one to see how they react to that.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Simonb

« Reply #14 on: 23 January, 2011, 10:18:06 pm »
Speak early, too. They hear you coming long before their rider does.

This.

It also gives the rider a chance to prepare the horse. No point in starting to chat as you pass.

« Reply #15 on: 23 January, 2011, 10:44:56 pm »
Yeah, amazing isn't it!  I've learnt to be super careful about horses on a recumbent.  The best way to get past is if you're riding in a group of normal cyclists, then you can get them to surround you and the horses just ignore you then.

I knew it had to be admitted eventually  :smug:

« Reply #16 on: 23 January, 2011, 11:37:17 pm »
LOL, between a rock and a hard place.  Can't say ordinary cyclists, can I?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 23 January, 2011, 11:44:19 pm »
That would probably have the desired effect on the horse, if not the rider...   :D

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #18 on: 24 January, 2011, 12:26:38 am »
I've been chatting to horses as I go by on the upright for years, but never had the reaction I've had on the trike.

This morning as I came over the brow of a hill, a horse *150* yards away stopped dead. No amount of heel tapping by the rider could make it move till the trike was well off the road, and I was standing up out of it. Cue embarrassed/grateful rider. Apparently this horse (Ben) is even afraid of other horses.

Horse: A bag of neuroses strapped together with a saddle!

« Reply #19 on: 24 January, 2011, 01:27:55 pm »
I suppose it could be worse - if people rode large carnivores and they mistook us for prey!  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 24 January, 2011, 01:37:17 pm »
I remain unconvinced that horses, or indeed cows, aren't actually carnivorous.  They're just lulling us into a false sense of security...

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #21 on: 24 January, 2011, 01:48:05 pm »
Horses are silly things, I don't trust them at all. It doesn't help that a relative put himself in a several years long coma by being launched off one. The idea of taking such a skittish and unpredictable beast (well-trained horses excepted, the police manage it) onto the roads is similarly silly.
Yes, and bikes should be banned too!!!   ::-)
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #22 on: 24 January, 2011, 02:08:40 pm »
I've had to hide me and the bike behind a parked car to let a horse go past before.
It is simpler than it looks.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #23 on: 24 January, 2011, 02:52:50 pm »
Yes, and bikes should be banned too!!!   ::-)

My bike goes where I point it. YMMV but this thread shows plenty of examples where a horse doesn't, for a variety of trivial reasons.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24 on: 24 January, 2011, 04:07:40 pm »
I wonder it it's partly that domesticated animals are spooked by human beings in an unfamiliar prone or sitting position. They know us as upright creatures and anything else is too wierd for them? The reason I wonder this is that dogs react strangely to kids being pulled on sledges. The same dogs totally ignore us walking or on (upright) bikes, but get freaked by a sitting yet moving child. Perhaps it's the fact of moving without appearing to use legs that frightens them?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.