Author Topic: Re-fitting wheels with chain tugs  (Read 4530 times)

Re-fitting wheels with chain tugs
« on: 25 January, 2011, 11:06:18 pm »
So is there a knack to putting back a wheel, say after a puncture?

Using (DMR) chain tugs for the first time, it was no great problem to fit them and the wheel. However, when I next fitted it, I realised the issue - the tugs are there to keep the chain (reasonably) taut, so you have to back off the tug adjustment in order to get the wheel in place. All a bit of a faff.

Inevitable I suppose. Just a pity you can't drop it all into place with a nice tight chain ;D

border-rider

Re: Re-fitting wheels with chain tugs
« Reply #1 on: 26 January, 2011, 03:41:25 pm »
If you have the type with two bolts, you can slacken off just the one at the bottom of the dropout and rotate the whole thing.  Sometimes.

« Reply #2 on: 26 January, 2011, 09:41:06 pm »

« Reply #3 on: 04 February, 2012, 04:34:18 pm »
I was pondering this today. My son's new bike has chain tugs like these: http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/nologo-chain-tug-36-p.asp
They seem a neat solution, but are adjusted with little nuts. I have given him a 15mm fixie spanner to carry in case of a puncture but I am assuming this means he will also need to carry a teeny spanner to back off the tugs to get the chain off to slip the rear wheel out?
The nuts seem to be ordinary M5 threaded ones, could I substitute them for wing nuts?
TIA

« Reply #4 on: 04 February, 2012, 04:37:20 pm »
I use the MKS ones with allen fittings. Much easier, I find.

« Reply #5 on: 04 February, 2012, 04:47:53 pm »
I use the MKS ones with allen fittings. Much easier, I find.

They look nice, but are considerably more spendy!

« Reply #6 on: 04 February, 2012, 04:59:40 pm »
A year on, I've got used to them. I have two fixed bikes, one with tugs and one with forward drop-outs, where tugs are not relevant. The second is a bit quicker when removing a wheel, but the tugs do hold the chain tension well.

There's a knack, that's all. I've just put the Marathon Winters on the On-One, and the tugs weren't an issue at all.

« Reply #7 on: 04 February, 2012, 05:06:35 pm »
A year on, I've got used to them. I have two fixed bikes, one with tugs and one with forward drop-outs, where tugs are not relevant. The second is a bit quicker when removing a wheel, but the tugs do hold the chain tension well.

There's a knack, that's all. I've just put the Marathon Winters on the On-One, and the tugs weren't an issue at all.

Did you need a spanner to undo them?

« Reply #8 on: 04 February, 2012, 05:38:21 pm »
Yes. I use a 10mm Weinmann brake spanner. There's also a suitable spanner on my multi-tool.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #9 on: 04 February, 2012, 05:47:16 pm »
The Surly tugs are adjusted by turning the end by hand. No need for any spaners or keys. Very easy to do.
The cost of them is another matter, but you only need one and you'd have squandered the money on something else anyway.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #10 on: 04 February, 2012, 06:29:46 pm »
i use on-one chain tug, it doesn't need re-tensioning after wheel removal/installation. when i was searching for a chain tug, it was either this or surley. i didn't like the hooks on surly - on-one is more discreet and just as good from engineering pov.