Author Topic: Caption it #540  (Read 4311 times)

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
Caption it #540
« on: 21 February, 2011, 12:07:14 pm »

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Caption it #540
« Reply #2 on: 21 February, 2011, 06:13:30 pm »
Convinced he was the reincarnation of a pharaoh, Bruce had to resort to modern technology to ensure he had his own pyramid.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #3 on: 21 February, 2011, 07:40:19 pm »
Convinced he was the reincarnation of a pharaoh, Bruce had to resort to modern technology to ensure he had his own pyramid.

Hey, don't knock it; it's would seem to be regenerating my hair.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #4 on: 21 February, 2011, 11:10:55 pm »
Is he working on the Riddle of the Sphinx?

« Reply #5 on: 21 February, 2011, 11:19:42 pm »
Wearing the Erik Von Daniken Mind Expander, Aldo finally achieved the invisibilty he craved to finish his crossword (if you don't count that bloke in the distance....)

« Reply #6 on: 21 February, 2011, 11:21:06 pm »
The Healing Pyramid Company - designers and manufacturers of pyramid healing chambers.

Do other people get pig Latin on the To Purchase page?  I read about a patented razor-sharpener that used a pyramid, and I used to have back treatment and yoga lessons off someone who'd built plywood pyramids which he kept in his attic.  The scientific facts about the pyramids, their proportions and positions etc, are absolutely amazing, I'll see if I can dig out the book that had it all in.  IIRC anything at all in an exact pyramid shape is supposed to have healing and rejuvenating properties for objects placed under it.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #7 on: 21 February, 2011, 11:40:55 pm »
 The scientific facts about the pyramids, their proportions and positions etc, are absolutely amazing, I'll see if I can dig out the book that had it all in.  IIRC anything at all in an exact pyramid shape is supposed to have healing and rejuvenating properties for objects placed under it.

IIRC it's called "Supernature" & it's got so many pages it's the thickness of a housebrick.
I have a copy of it in the loft where I keep all the books not to be dispensed with.

EDIT the author is Lyall Watson

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #8 on: 21 February, 2011, 11:51:45 pm »
 The scientific facts about the pyramids, their proportions and positions etc, are absolutely amazing,

The mathematical properties of pyramids are certainly fascinating, but thanks to the low tech nature of surveying and stone construction, it isn't necessary to be aware of them to construct a very good pyramid, any more than a man with two sticks and a piece of rope needs to understand Pi to create a near perfect circle.

I'll see if I can dig out the book that had it all in.  IIRC anything at all in an exact pyramid shape is supposed to have healing and rejuvenating properties for objects placed under it.

Can I interest you in a bridge, hardly used?

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #9 on: 22 February, 2011, 07:48:06 am »
Robert Langdon realises, with seconds to spare, the remaining symbol, 'top of obelisk', is near......if only he could stay awake long enough to give a shit....

« Reply #10 on: 22 February, 2011, 08:08:58 am »
The Healing Pyramid Company - designers and manufacturers of pyramid healing chambers.

Do other people get pig Latin on the To Purchase page?

Oh yes! I admit I wasn't looking to purchase. On another page I found a familiar sounding sentence:-
...there are some 3,000 independent scientists carrying out research across the world, outside of what is deemed mainstream science.

I knew a suave handsome financial advisor who, long ago, helped me raise the money to set up in business. A few years later he became twitchy and wild-eyed, and talked about having discovered the secret of perfect health and happiness. Then he disappeared to write a book about pyramids.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11 on: 22 February, 2011, 10:47:41 am »
Bobb's new hat was a bit crap...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

SteveS

• What's over the next hill?
« Reply #12 on: 22 February, 2011, 10:58:38 am »
John's lightweight cycle helmet was so comfortable he'd often forget he was still wearing it.

« Reply #13 on: 22 February, 2011, 11:05:44 am »
Not only will you be smarter whilst wearing this construction (which utilises energies that science cannot explain), but you will be protected against social interaction with lesser people.  The energies emanating from the CranialEnhancer extend beyond your body, clearing the area around you.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #14 on: 22 February, 2011, 06:05:42 pm »
 The scientific facts about the pyramids, their proportions and positions etc, are absolutely amazing, I'll see if I can dig out the book that had it all in.  IIRC anything at all in an exact pyramid shape is supposed to have healing and rejuvenating properties for objects placed under it.

IIRC it's called "Supernature" & it's got so many pages it's the thickness of a housebrick.
I have a copy of it in the loft where I keep all the books not to be dispensed with.

EDIT the author is Lyall Watson

No, mine is just a compendium of Alternative Medicine with a chapter on Pyramidology.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15 on: 22 February, 2011, 07:16:56 pm »
Langdon was still looking for the Holy Grail although it was closer than he thought.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #16 on: 23 February, 2011, 11:45:08 am »
... The chapter is called "Pyramid Healing" actually.  It starts by reiterating the usual about how they managed to build them in the first place - though I think that now we have worked that out and how long it took - Wiki 'Pyramidology' and try the links.  But there are many unanswered questions about the Great Pyramid (GP).  It is so exactly aligned to True North that it defies modern measuring systems; for years scientists thought it was slightly out, but in fact more accurate equipment has now vindicated it that it is in fact spot on.  It is also in the exact centre of the world's land mass, on the longest EW and NS lines.  It weighs exactly one thousand trillionth the weight of the earth; - when this is used to calculate the distance from the sun it comes out as 93 million miles, while modern space probes give 92,900,000 miles.

The "magic" proportions are that if the height of a pyramid is used as the radius of a circle, the square formed by the pyramid's base has the same circumference as this circle.  The article implies that the 4 triangles between the corners and central axis are 3 - 4 - 5 triangles - the Egyptians seem to have discovered this before the Greeks in fact (it doesn't explicitly state this though, I'm assuming it).  In the 1930s a Frenchman found that small animals which had starved to death in the GP had not decomposed but dried out and mummified, he was able to reproduce this at home by building one himself.  It can preserve fruit and veg for longer, and experiments on people meditating inside a pyramid show that the theta (?) brain waves increase significantly, when the pyramid is aligned to true north.  The cardboard razor sharpener was patented in Czechoslovakia, where strict controls mean it had to be tested thoroughly first.  Years later metallurgists worked out how - it removes water pockets from the blade, which prevents it from getting worn.

So come on boys and girls, get building those pyramids, you'll live longer and be more healthy! ;-)

fuzzy

« Reply #17 on: 23 February, 2011, 02:45:35 pm »
In the 1930s a Frenchman found that small animals which had starved to death in the GP had not decomposed but dried out and mummified, he was able to reproduce this at home by building one himself.  It can preserve fruit and veg for longer....

'snot true. Mythbusters said so. They tested the pyramid and apples rotted just as quickly inside a pyramid as out. link

« Reply #18 on: 23 February, 2011, 03:12:53 pm »
... The chapter is called "Pyramid Healing" actually.  It starts by reiterating the usual about how they managed to build them in the first place - though I think that now we have worked that out and how long it took - Wiki 'Pyramidology' and try the links.  But there are many unanswered questions about the Great Pyramid (GP).  It is so exactly aligned to True North that it defies modern measuring systems; for years scientists thought it was slightly out, but in fact more accurate equipment has now vindicated it that it is in fact spot on.  It is also in the exact centre of the world's land mass, on the longest EW and NS lines.  It weighs exactly one thousand trillionth the weight of the earth; - when this is used to calculate the distance from the sun it comes out as 93 million miles, while modern space probes give 92,900,000 miles.

The "magic" proportions are that if the height of a pyramid is used as the radius of a circle, the square formed by the pyramid's base has the same circumference as this circle.  The article implies that the 4 triangles between the corners and central axis are 3 - 4 - 5 triangles - the Egyptians seem to have discovered this before the Greeks in fact (it doesn't explicitly state this though, I'm assuming it).  In the 1930s a Frenchman found that small animals which had starved to death in the GP had not decomposed but dried out and mummified, he was able to reproduce this at home by building one himself.  It can preserve fruit and veg for longer, and experiments on people meditating inside a pyramid show that the theta (?) brain waves increase significantly, when the pyramid is aligned to true north.  The cardboard razor sharpener was patented in Czechoslovakia, where strict controls mean it had to be tested thoroughly first.  Years later metallurgists worked out how - it removes water pockets from the blade, which prevents it from getting worn.

So come on boys and girls, get building those pyramids, you'll live longer and be more healthy! ;-)

do you seriously believe this rot?  For starters, a large proportion of the pyramid has eroded away - exactly how do you imagine people would know the precise mass at the time of construction?

Even the stuff about the precision of the dimension is pretty much guff and guesswork, because so much of the pyramid is not there anymore.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #19 on: 25 February, 2011, 11:06:05 am »
I did wonder how they could work out the weights, yes.  Everything else seems valid, and I'm only reproducing the info from the book!  If you dismiss it all out of hand as "rot", you're missing out on anything that might be of value in it.

Link doesn't work, fuzzy.

fuzzy

« Reply #20 on: 25 February, 2011, 01:01:08 pm »

Link doesn't work, fuzzy.

That will be the power of the pyramids working ;)

Try this

« Reply #21 on: 25 February, 2011, 02:44:59 pm »
If you dismiss it all out of hand as "rot", you're missing out on anything that might be of value in it.
Who's dismissing it out of hand? I'm dismissing it because of a substantial body of published information & personal knowledge which tells me it is total & utter garbage. It has as much basis as Erich von Däniken's drivel. The 'studies' meet none of the criteria for scientific validity. The calculations are ridiculous.

I doubt very much that there is anything of value in it, & I'm damn sure that if there is, it'd be purely by chance, & so hard to find among all the dross that it isn't worth looking for. The authors of such books fall into two categories: delusional & fraudsters. I don't care which this one is.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #22 on: 25 February, 2011, 02:52:28 pm »
Erich von Däniken

is this the bloke who wrote "Is God An Astronaut"?
ETA
Google says "yes"  it's same bloke.

« Reply #23 on: 28 February, 2011, 11:50:47 am »
I did wonder how they could work out the weights, yes.  Everything else seems valid, and I'm only reproducing the info from the book!  If you dismiss it all out of hand as "rot", you're missing out on anything that might be of value in it.

I dismiss it as rot because of multiple logic failures in their conclusions.

Brickies who would fail GCSE maths can erect vertical brick wall with incredible precision - does this mean they have a knowledge that science can't explain? Or because they dangle a weight on a bit of string?

Many ancient monuments demonstrate a keen observation of the stars and moon and their movements. That doesn't imply mystical properties to the monuments, just clever observant people involved in the construction.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #24 on: 28 February, 2011, 12:50:35 pm »
I don't think anybody knows what it meant to or effected for the people who built it, at the time that they did.  It's clearly on a very refined, sensitive level, whatever it is, which has no doubt been lost today through environmental and electromagnetic pollution, changes in interpersonal bonds, and any number of other factors.  To write things off carte blanche is always dangerous, I think.