Author Topic: Any chemists/metallurgists out there?  (Read 1324 times)

Any chemists/metallurgists out there?
« on: 23 February, 2011, 12:50:52 pm »
From what I can tell ultrasonic cleaning fluids, as used by jewellers, appear to broadly fall into two groups - those with ammonia and those without.

Does anyone know what effect (if any) ammonia might have on titanium nitride plating - such as is found on drills, taps, milling cutters, oh! and bicycle chains?

TIA

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: Any chemists/metallurgists out there?
« Reply #1 on: 23 February, 2011, 12:58:23 pm »
The guy sat next to me, who's a postdoc in chemistry*, says it should be OK. My gut feeling says it should be OK, too.

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 23 February, 2011, 12:59:22 pm »
Think I'd be more worried about the cavitation removing the plating...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #3 on: 23 February, 2011, 01:08:43 pm »
Think I'd be more worried about the cavitation removing the plating...

I would have thought that it depends on the plating - provided that the plated item was properly prepped and cleaned* prior to plating, the plating shouldn't be affected, but as always, your mileage may vary...

* In my experience working with microelectronic hybrid circuits, most problems arise from process deviations.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Si_Co

« Reply #4 on: 23 February, 2011, 01:15:46 pm »
I'm organics as opposed to inorganics but  the TiN / NH3 thing will be fine, its the actual sonication that would concern me since this can be used to introduce porosity into coatings, as Mrs P says cavitation is your enemy.

Gut instinct says bad idea, but like I say it's not my speciality.

robbo6

« Reply #5 on: 24 February, 2011, 09:48:09 am »
I have seen warnings on large 'sonic cleaners specifically against using them on plated parts. The custom Harley chaps use them to remove plating.

« Reply #6 on: 25 February, 2011, 09:10:40 am »
Thanks all for your, as is usual, valuable input.  :)