Author Topic: It's ok for someone to nearly drive into you...  (Read 6391 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
It's ok for someone to nearly drive into you...
« on: 05 March, 2011, 12:34:58 pm »
...when that person is an old woman - according to a man who got out of his car as I tried to get her attention - for educational purposes - by slapping her car roof and shouting.  She barely even noticed me then, let alone before pulling out of the side turning.

"What's your fucking problem?  She's an old woman", he yelled aggressively, walking towards me.  I decided to call it a day at that point, and rode off.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: It's ok for someone to nearly drive into you...
« Reply #1 on: 05 March, 2011, 12:40:06 pm »
Annie and I had a similar response when a learner almost ran us down a few years ago when we participated in the Little Willie. We took grave exception to the very close overtake for the car only to stop in traffic a few yards ahead of us.

The woman in the passenger seat was most indignant: "You might be more sympathetic! It's her first time out on the road!"
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 05 March, 2011, 12:55:14 pm »
The only sensible reply is to yell "Stop trying to fucking kill me!" and remove their wing mirror to make sure they know they are too close to you.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mAsTa RiDaH

« Reply #3 on: 05 March, 2011, 01:48:59 pm »
Of course it's not ok for someone to nearly drive into you. But banging on the roof is a touch much imo bearing in mind that they did not actually hit you.

« Reply #4 on: 05 March, 2011, 01:57:47 pm »
Of course it's not ok for someone to nearly drive into you. But banging on the roof is a touch much imo bearing in mind that they did not actually hit you.

Why?
It won't possibly hurt them. It may give them a bit of a shock, just as you'd get if some twit pulls out on you. That can actually hurt.

« Reply #5 on: 05 March, 2011, 02:13:34 pm »

Why?
It won't possibly hurt them. It may give them a bit of a shock, just as you'd get if some twit pulls out on you. That can actually hurt.
Nor will it damage their car if you just use your hand. There's little else you can do that's likely to get their attention if their stereo is on. I think drivers are a bit hypersensitive about people touching their cars, which if they've just endangered your life is a bit rich.

The only sensible reply is to yell "Stop trying to fucking kill me!" and remove their wing mirror to make sure they know they are too close to you.
Spot on.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 05 March, 2011, 02:15:43 pm »
As well as being hopping mad that she could have injured me, I banged on the roof to get her attention - to try to tell her to look out better next time.  Standing right beside her window and shouting at the top of my voice wasn't enough alone to make her aware of anything outside of her little tin box.  So an audible extra was needed.

This was after she had pulled out of the turning.  I chased a few yards to stop her and parked my bike in front of the car (via the prop stand).

The stupid bitch shouldn't be driving at all.  At the very least she deserved the telling off.

mAsTa RiDaH

« Reply #7 on: 05 March, 2011, 02:19:51 pm »
So much hate towards motorists? That someone's Mum you are calling a 'stupid bitch'.

Jeez man, except that there are drivers out on the road that can test one's patience no need to get abusive. No need to let it wind you up.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 05 March, 2011, 02:20:46 pm »
There's little else you can do that's likely to get their attention if their stereo is on.

Of if they're hard of hearing, or just hard of realising something may be happening in the outside world.

« Reply #9 on: 05 March, 2011, 02:20:52 pm »

I agree, but sometimes its very tempting. Anyway I would bet its very exceptional anyone would do that to a car other than one with an old lady driving unless there is an escape route.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 05 March, 2011, 02:23:35 pm »
Being old and being someone's mum doesn't mean she's not a stupid bitch.  She's a stupid bitch for continuing to drive when her faculties are not up to it.

I don't normally get so wound up, but this was the most blatant case of being incapable of driving that I have come accross.  She had such little sense, in all senses of the word.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 05 March, 2011, 02:27:53 pm »
So much hate towards motorists? That someone's Mum you are calling a 'stupid bitch'.

She could kill someone's Mum bringing the shopping home this afternoon.

Still, no need for harsh language just because someone's died, eh?

Someone's mum gets killed every few days in this country - I expect that winds somebody up.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #12 on: 05 March, 2011, 02:32:08 pm »

Jeez man, except that there are drivers out on the road that can test one's patience no need to get abusive. No need to let it wind you up.

She could easily kill someone tomorrow, especially a motorcyclist who won't be going slow enough to notice she's stupid or blind.  So it's more than about testing patience.  Her non-reaction to me after the event confirmed it wasn't just a momentary lapse.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #13 on: 05 March, 2011, 02:35:16 pm »
ps. I was inches away from her face for several seconds and still she had no idea I was there until several more seconds after I banged on the roof.  She clearly had barely any idea of what was happening outside her car.

I have no problem in accepting that people make the odd mistake - except for the mistake of driving whilst incapable.

« Reply #14 on: 05 March, 2011, 02:36:34 pm »
Ooo look! troll turds!

« Reply #15 on: 05 March, 2011, 02:37:05 pm »

Not hate towards motorists in general, just the ones that put every road user in danger, regardless of whether it is someone's mum, dad, gran or whatever.

Yes, there are bad drivers around. Getting abusive may not be the best thing to do, but how do you suggest we (as cyclists, motorists or however we use a road) can get through to them that they are putting us in danger?
Any suggestions that would work?

No need to let anything get you upset or wind you up, but sometimes, things do. Have you never been angry or upset? Lack of emotion is a bad place to be.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #16 on: 05 March, 2011, 02:38:07 pm »
ps. I was inches away from her face for several seconds and still she had no idea I was there until several more seconds after I banged on the roof.  She clearly had barely any idea of what was happening outside her car.

I cant see why you are getting so worked up. She is someone's mum, apparently, and therefore, like all mums, can do no wrong and her poo smells of flowers.
It is simpler than it looks.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #17 on: 05 March, 2011, 02:40:09 pm »
I'm off for a lie down :)

« Reply #18 on: 05 March, 2011, 02:41:34 pm »
I'm off for a lie down :)

Oy
! no need to rub it in! I can't do anything BUT lie down at the moment

mAsTa RiDaH

« Reply #19 on: 05 March, 2011, 02:45:22 pm »

Not hate towards motorists in general, just the ones that put every road user in danger, regardless of whether it is someone's mum, dad, gran or whatever.

Yes, there are bad drivers around. Getting abusive may not be the best thing to do, but how do you suggest we (as cyclists, motorists or however we use a road) can get through to them that they are putting us in danger?
Any suggestions that would work?

No need to let anyhting get you upset or wind you up, but sometimes, things do. Have you never been angry or upset? Lack of emotion is a bad place to be.

Of course I have and I can tell you it does not get you anywhere. (but as a seasoned vet who's done many miles you probably know this.)

Now when I see bad driving and I catch upto the motorist, just try and have a polite word. If you raise your voice they'll raise their voice, If you start frothing at the mouth then they probably will as well - before running you down (maybe a tad melodramatic.)

Seriously, next OP if something like this happens and you feel that strongly report it to the Police, don't get mad get even.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 05 March, 2011, 02:49:20 pm »
Seriously, next OP if something like this happens and you feel that strongly report it to the Police, don't get mad get even.

But Mr Policeman, she nearly killed me! No, I haven't got any evidence. Or witnesses ...

Mr RiDaH: just what do you expect the police to do in this sort of situation? Hmm?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mAsTa RiDaH

« Reply #21 on: 05 March, 2011, 02:55:46 pm »
This could be classed as driving without due care, and yes whilst there are no witnesses you can still make a statement and get it logged onto the system. So if said motorist does actually hit someone, or mount the kerb driving their car through a brick wall that is someone's house ending up their living room. Then the Police will be able to see that previous complaint(s) have been made when they type in the plate.

After all is this not essentially what Safespeed or other such websites are about? Reporting dangerous driving?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: 05 March, 2011, 03:01:56 pm »
I suspect that these reports, if taken at all, would be filed in a circular receptacle...

« Reply #23 on: 05 March, 2011, 03:18:59 pm »
A good hollar is instant and I reckon much more effective than going to see plod, who will probably do nothing. I'm more concerned with didging idiots than getting their licence number, which might be false anyway. It'd be great if the police were more interested than I think they are. But I think that they have very limited time to do too much, so have to prioritise.
I try to pick my moment to have a good bellow so that it's very difficult or even near impossible for them to retaliate. EG, they stop and I am in heavy traffic flow, ot they are in heavy traffic flow passing me, or I have an alternative escape route.
I don't think a polite word is possible most of the time.
It helps if you aren't rude and shout as a warning rather than as aggression if you are shouting to prevent a crash.
I agree, getting angry isn't best, but I sometimes act angry to make a point.

After all is this not essentially what Safespeed or other such websites are about? Reporting dangerous driving?

Dunno?
Every time I hear the SS on the radio, they talk so much bollocks that I don't bother reading what garbage may lie on their website.

I prefer IAM. But I very rarely, almost never, go there either.

« Reply #24 on: 05 March, 2011, 03:19:31 pm »
I suspect that these reports, if taken at all, would be filed in a circular receptacle...

It would be interesting to find out what really does happen  :-\
At the NHS Trust I work for any written complaint is treated very seriously, it would be strange to think that the police did things differently  :-\