Author Topic: Want to marry a billionaire? On yer bike!  (Read 1302 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Want to marry a billionaire? On yer bike!
« on: 22 March, 2011, 09:28:14 am »
The view from a broad: how to marry a billionaire | Life and style | The Guardian

We chanced across a rather fascinating new book this week, Wheels of Change: How Women Rode the Bicycle to Freedom by Sue Macy, which looks at how the success of the bike in late 19th-century America heralded a period of new liberation for women. Our favourite excerpt sees Macy quoting the great Elizabeth Cady Stanton, an early proponent of the contraption: "The bicycle," she stated, "will inspire women with more courage, self-respect and self-reliance and make the next generation more vigorous of mind and body; for feeble mothers do not produce great statesmen, scientists and scholars." And billionaires, naturally.

But who is this Laura Barton writing articles for the Grauniad? Do we know her?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Re: Want to marry a billionaire? On yer bike!
« Reply #1 on: 22 March, 2011, 10:16:20 am »
I've been a big fan of Laura Barton's music column for a couple of years. Now that I know she likes bikes as well, I think I've found my ideal woman.

« Reply #2 on: 22 March, 2011, 12:34:50 pm »

I've been a big fan of Laura Barton's music column for a couple of years. Now that I know she likes bikes as well, I think I've found my ideal woman.

Here's more  :)

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #3 on: 22 March, 2011, 02:22:57 pm »
The view from a broad: how to marry a billionaire | Life and style | The Guardian

We chanced across a rather fascinating new book this week, Wheels of Change: How Women Rode the Bicycle to Freedom by Sue Macy, which looks at how the success of the bike in late 19th-century America heralded a period of new liberation for women. Our favourite excerpt sees Macy quoting the great Elizabeth Cady Stanton, an early proponent of the contraption: "The bicycle," she stated, "will inspire women with more courage, self-respect and self-reliance and make the next generation more vigorous of mind and body; for feeble mothers do not produce great statesmen, scientists and scholars." And billionaires, naturally.

But who is this Laura Barton writing articles for the Grauniad? Do we know her?

The Laura Barton writing in the Guardian is not the Laura Barton, the one that we all know.

a great mind thinks alike

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 22 March, 2011, 02:30:33 pm »
I know that really, but my eyesight's that bad I had to have a good look at the photo before I was sure.

Curiously, there's a Peter Walker who also writes for the Guardian and he has mentioned bicycles on more than on occasion.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 22 March, 2011, 02:31:58 pm »
Our two are better :)
Getting there...

« Reply #6 on: 23 March, 2011, 08:46:20 pm »
Hmmm, being from Lancashire myself can't help finding that North/South article a bit tired and cliched. What's a young lass like her doing reminiscing like that?