Author Topic: Glastonbury/Amy Winehouse  (Read 9812 times)

Chris S

Re: Glastonbury/Amy Winehouse
« Reply #25 on: 29 June, 2008, 07:34:47 pm »

If I want to see pissed up women staggering about getting groped by strange men, I can go and watch the ch@vs in Dereham on a Saturday night for free. They can sing better when they're pissed up, too.

Do so then!

Who says I don't?

If "Going Postal" is a euphemism for getting royally annoyed, how long before "Going Amy" becomes a euphemism for a career of a genuine talent disappearing in a puddle of drug/booze fueled sick? I had wondered whether Pete Doherty qualified, but realised he doesn't, as he doesn't seem to have any talent.

« Reply #26 on: 29 June, 2008, 07:39:26 pm »

She seems hell-bent on doing a Janis Joplin, which will make her famous,

Maybe not.  She's hell bent on doing a load of drugs and having what she thinks is a good time.

Some people can do drugs.  Others can't.  She's one of the others.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #27 on: 29 June, 2008, 08:05:52 pm »
Am I the only one who think Amy Winehouse should be called Amy Whinehouse? God, she has an awful voice, and especially if you compare it to the people who were the giants of this genre - Aretha Franklin for example. She is however, quite a good songwriter...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #28 on: 29 June, 2008, 10:16:29 pm »
All the talk of "A waste" annoys me somewhat. She has a great voice and can do whatever she likes with it. So she's on fuck knows what? What business other than hers is that?

Hendrix inadvertently topped himself after just a few short years at the top - but that was rock 'n roll, right?

As did many others. (Not that I'm making a comparison musically - just a fucking TABLOID connection)

I quite like fucked up performances - mainly because it irritates people who want performers to perform in the way they want them to.

You may have bought their record, but you don't own them..........
If people pay good money for entertainers to do their job, then the entertainers have a duty to do it to the best of their ability, not go on a self-indulgent drugs and booze trip in front of the people that pay them. They can do what they like in their own time. Time on stage is not their own time. It's paid for by the fans.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #29 on: 29 June, 2008, 10:24:16 pm »
One of the bands I play in does Rehab and introduces it as by Whiney Shitehouse. Ok, witty is isn't, but it's very easy to get fed up with the amount of overhyped crap that's about now. Just watched the Mark Ronson set at Glasto. Utter shite.

Yeah,ok, why am I playing it?

It's my job.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

bobajobrob

« Reply #30 on: 30 June, 2008, 10:04:57 am »
I'm not a huge rap fan (although it's been growing on me for some time) but I thought Jay Z's performance was excellent, and I enjoyed it. I think it's good to represent popular forms of music and find it amusing the kind of musical snobbery it invokes.

« Reply #31 on: 30 June, 2008, 10:08:17 am »
...avoiding that rap shit like the plague.

Middle age creeping up?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #32 on: 30 June, 2008, 11:07:35 am »
I caught the show on Friday night, thought Kings of Leon took some time to warm up (like 2 or 3 songs) but once they were going they were good, not outstanding, but good.  They do need to work on their crowd skills though.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #33 on: 30 June, 2008, 11:10:01 am »
The good thing about glastonbury is that there is so much on that you'll always find something you like.  I haven't been for 4 years, but I'd have been watching Massive Attack,  The Verve, Groove Armada and avoiding that rap shit like the plague.

I take it that you'd have your fingers in your ears when Massive Attack and Groove Armada decide to drop some of that rap shit into the mix? ;)

Massive Attack was, errr, rather repeatitive?!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #34 on: 30 June, 2008, 11:16:20 am »

Middle age creeping up?

Rap was around when I was a teenager.... didn't like it then.
(Good answer - must remember that one!)

I vaguely liked Blondie's attempt at rap (1980) , but it's gone downhill ever since.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #35 on: 30 June, 2008, 11:17:06 am »
The good thing about glastonbury is that there is so much on that you'll always find something you like.  I haven't been for 4 years, but I'd have been watching Massive Attack,  The Verve, Groove Armada and avoiding that rap shit like the plague.

I take it that you'd have your fingers in your ears when Massive Attack and Groove Armada decide to drop some of that rap shit into the mix? ;)

Well there's the thing, it can sound great to my ears if it's fused into other stuff.  I saw the Orb a few years back and they played a bit of Eminem, albeit warped up.  It sounded incredible, I don't know what they did to it but the rhythm was amazing.

Anyway, it's all down to personal taste. I may think JZ is shit, but I don't expect anyone else to agree. One less thing in life for me to enjoy, is my attitude.

LEE

« Reply #36 on: 30 June, 2008, 11:20:14 am »

Middle age creeping up?

Hmmm, how do you define 'Rap'?  

Using the term 'Rap' to slag-off (you did say it was "shit") such a varied range of music sounds exactly like my parents using the term "Rock and Roll" to slag-off any record I played from 1975 until the present day.

Edit:  using my parents as an example I think you are too old when you say things like:

"This is just noise and they can't even play their instruments"

and, in the menatime, said artist is selling 100 squillion albums and playing before 100,000 frantically dancing yoofs.

« Reply #37 on: 30 June, 2008, 11:26:03 am »

Hmmm, how do you define 'Rap'? 

Using the term 'Rap' to slag-off (you did say it was "shit") such a varied range of music sounds exactly like my parents using the term "Rock and Roll" to slag-off any record I played from 1975 until the present day.

I'm the same with Country. The thing is, I know there's some good music there, but I am not tolerant of the popular stuff, and I haven't currently got the time or inclination to pursue the more obscure corners of the genre.

« Reply #38 on: 30 June, 2008, 11:27:35 am »
Anyway, it's all down to personal taste. I may think JZ is shit, but I don't expect anyone else to agree. One less thing in life for me to enjoy, is my attitude.

LEE

See the above.  If you like it, then that is great.  I don't expect you to have to justify that anymore than I have to justify my dislike of it... and yes, I know there are sub-genres in music.

bobajobrob

« Reply #39 on: 30 June, 2008, 11:29:51 am »
* listening to De La Soul *

Jakob

« Reply #40 on: 30 June, 2008, 11:40:22 am »
Not a fan of Jay-Z, but I thought he was very good. Also saw him on the Jonathon Ross show and found him very cool, funny and charming.
More than can ever be said of Noel Gallagher.

bikenerd

« Reply #41 on: 30 June, 2008, 11:46:54 am »
Did anyone see Spiritualized on Sunday night?  I'm seeing them in October and I'm wondering what state the Spaceman is in at the moment? :)

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #42 on: 30 June, 2008, 12:06:18 pm »
Liked The Verve.

<old person>  Now they're a proper band. <old person>
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #43 on: 30 June, 2008, 12:19:28 pm »
Am I the only one who think Amy Winehouse should be called Amy Whinehouse? God, she has an awful voice, and especially if you compare it to the people who were the giants of this genre - Aretha Franklin for example. She is however, quite a good songwriter...

... and her band was very good indeed!

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #44 on: 30 June, 2008, 12:21:52 pm »
Oh yes, her band are excellent. They just need a rather more classy and capable singer...

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #45 on: 30 June, 2008, 01:15:10 pm »

Her album 'Back to Black' was nominated for six Grammy Awards, of which it won five of them.  This equals the record for the most wins by a female artist, and she is the first British female artist to have achieved this.  She has also won a BRIT Award for Best British Female Artist and been nominated for Best British Album with her 'Back To Black'.  In addition to all this, she has won the Ivor Novello Award twice.

That's an awful lot of achievements for someone with an awful voice.

« Reply #46 on: 30 June, 2008, 01:21:13 pm »

Post studio remixing and heavy auto-tune can make almost anyone sound good on an album.

And you don't need to be able to sing at all to get an Ivor Novello. They're for songwriting and composing.

They can have all of this and still have a shit live singing voice. Have you ever heard Heather Small sing live? Ugh.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #47 on: 30 June, 2008, 01:28:51 pm »

Post studio remixing and heavy auto-tune can make almost anyone sound good on an album.

And you don't need to be able to sing at all to get an Ivor Novello. They're for songwriting and composing.

They can have all of this and still have a shit live singing voice. Have you ever heard Heather Small sing live? Ugh.

Yes, but only up to a point.  Also, if she couldn't sing, she would have been found out long ago.  After all, it was her live singing voice that brought her to the attention of the record labels in the first place. 

Many people who cannot sing have their voices altered in the mix (for example Paris Hilton), but these artists are never going to win awards for singing are they?  The general public know when they are being conned or not, and can tell the difference between an Amy Winehouse or a Paris Hilton.

bobajobrob

« Reply #48 on: 30 June, 2008, 01:37:51 pm »
I'd like to hear the people that claim she can't sing to try to do better ;D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #49 on: 30 June, 2008, 01:40:46 pm »
I think the disagreement here between DB and the rest only goes to illustrate the disconnect between what the record companies want us to like and what we(the great music buying public) actually want.  It also illustrates the disconnect between those who judge these awards and the same music buying public.

Seriously you are allowed your own views on what is good and what is bad but please please PLEASE do not push in my face that this artist has won this award or that award, it means JACK to me.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State