Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 262478 times)

Re: The cricket...
« Reply #1050 on: 06 August, 2015, 11:59:35 am »
Does anyone think the Aussies are going to survive until lunch? ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #1051 on: 06 August, 2015, 12:01:53 pm »
 :o

I was in a meeting!

I miss the old days, when you could switch on the cricket, go out for a ride, come back and sit down and nowt much had changed.

And I can't get onto listen to TMS, dammit.

« Reply #1052 on: 06 August, 2015, 12:03:04 pm »
Excerpt from an e-mail to the Telegraph's live coverage team:

Is it true that Clarke’s bat is due to be sponsored by Imodium, because it hasn’t seen an outbreak of runs for quite a while now?

Make that the new team sponsor?  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #1053 on: 06 August, 2015, 01:11:47 pm »
Stuart Broad 8-15 in 9.3 overs...   :o   ;D

Just hope England doesn't follow suit with another collapse...   ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #1054 on: 06 August, 2015, 01:12:25 pm »
WTF Australia ????

;D

I've seen them get better Rugby scores than that
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #1055 on: 06 August, 2015, 01:13:45 pm »
Someone called Extras was top scorer in the Aus innings on 14...

"This is only the fourth time in Test history that a team has bowled first and been batting by lunch."  BBC

« Reply #1056 on: 06 August, 2015, 01:39:46 pm »
Apparantly England have bowled out Australia for 60 before - in 1888. And Australia went on to win!  :o
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #1057 on: 06 August, 2015, 02:35:38 pm »

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1058 on: 06 August, 2015, 02:36:54 pm »
Crikey!
It is simpler than it looks.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1060 on: 06 August, 2015, 03:24:35 pm »
Mind you, England and batting collapses are close friends. Let's hope they're not re-acquainted for the rest of the series.

« Reply #1061 on: 06 August, 2015, 03:30:27 pm »
:o

I was in a meeting!

I miss the old days, when you could switch on the cricket, go out for a ride, come back and sit down and nowt much had changed.

Vic Marks has just made the point on TMS, that had you walked into the ground at 3pm, looked at the score and seen it was 80-2, you could easily have thought that it was a tight game, batting on a pitch that's giving a bit too the bowlers, run rate a bit slow, but nothing extraordinary in that. Then somebody taps you on the shoulder and says, 'hey mate, this is the second innings of the game'.

Really bizzare.

Poor old Jim Maxwell, who I always like listening too, has just come on air, and boy he sounds very flat indeed.
Garry Broad

« Reply #1062 on: 06 August, 2015, 03:31:46 pm »
Mind you, England and batting collapses are close friends. Let's hope they're not re-acquainted for the rest of the series.

They could collapse for a 150. That's a useful 90 run lead!
Garry Broad

« Reply #1063 on: 06 August, 2015, 03:58:33 pm »

They could collapse for a 150. That's a useful 90 run lead!
Don't forget the second innings.

« Reply #1064 on: 06 August, 2015, 06:11:13 pm »
RootRootRootRoot...  :thumbsup:

SMHerald "Australia came into the Trent Bridge Test needing to make history, as the first team in almost 80 years to overturn a 1:2 Ashes deficit. Within one session they made history for a contrasting reason: crumbling for 60 in what became the shortest first innings of a match in Test history."

Andrew

« Reply #1065 on: 06 August, 2015, 06:52:36 pm »
We'll all wake up tomorrow to discover it was a dream. 

There is no other explanation.

« Reply #1066 on: 06 August, 2015, 06:58:05 pm »
RootRootRootRoot...

Which is 'Strine for what the Aussies are undoubtedly saying in the dressing room after stumps. :demon:

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #1067 on: 06 August, 2015, 07:11:11 pm »
I missed actually watching it but from the press coverage it doesn't sound as cool as Devon Malcolm's demolishment of South Africa back in the 90s where it was ferocious bowling rather than crap batting that was on display.  That I did watch and it was awesome.

Shame Malcolm couldn't summon that ire up more often really.

Not that it's any less satisfying overall  ;D ;D ;D
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1068 on: 06 August, 2015, 07:15:28 pm »
RootRootRootRoot...  :thumbsup:

SMHerald "Australia came into the Trent Bridge Test needing to make history, as the first team in almost 80 years to overturn a 1:2 Ashes deficit. Within one session they made history for a contrasting reason: crumbling for 60 in what became the shortest first innings of a match in Test history."
:D

The other statoid (fromTMS) was that not since 2005 has one batsman scored double the total of the oppo TEAM

(South Africa vs Zim I think - generally a much less close match than the Ashes).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #1069 on: 06 August, 2015, 07:19:50 pm »
Popped out and did a bit of gardening and missed a whole bloody innings!

« Reply #1070 on: 06 August, 2015, 08:08:36 pm »
Popped out and did a bit of gardening and missed a whole bloody innings!
:jurek:

« Reply #1071 on: 06 August, 2015, 10:17:48 pm »
Now here's a good stat:

Of the 114 balls bowled by England only eight were on the stumps. Would've done better if they left them all

https://twitter.com/plalor/status/629280819966775296

And this is lovely:

https://twitter.com/nottspolice/status/629240139340976128

I'm still catching up while I wait for Channel 5's highlights to start, and I don't understand why Australia dropped a bowler to replace him with a batsman.

I missed actually watching it but from the press coverage it doesn't sound as cool as Devon Malcolm's demolishment of South Africa back in the 90s where it was ferocious bowling rather than crap batting that was on display.  That I did watch and it was awesome.

Shame Malcolm couldn't summon that ire up more often really.

Not that it's any less satisfying overall  ;D ;D ;D

That's probably the most exciting sporting performance I've ever seen (on telly). Didn't he tell the Saffers they were history?

« Reply #1072 on: 06 August, 2015, 10:33:27 pm »
That's the one - and he said it before he started bowling....

« Reply #1073 on: 06 August, 2015, 11:06:15 pm »
Looks like Lyth will be back at Headingly next week.

« Reply #1074 on: 07 August, 2015, 08:11:48 am »
Some rich pickings on the Aussie sites...

Perth Now.  "BEFORE lunch, they’d been Broadsided; by stumps all but Rooted. Australian cricket has spiralled into crisis after arguably the darkest day in Ashes history." 

"Only twice in Test history has a team that bowled first in a Test emerged from day one with a bigger lead: South Africa with 286 against Zimbabwe in 2005 and England 233 against Australia in 1896."  SMH