Author Topic: Bought any photography stuff today?  (Read 173739 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Bought any photography stuff today?
« Reply #200 on: 19 February, 2013, 08:33:16 pm »
Just received film (3xDelta 400; 3xFujicolor 200) and batteries for the EOS.  I'm at that stage of looking round the house for things to photograph (this is where cats usually come in handy as models, I found) ;D
Getting there...

Martin 14

• People too weak to follow their own dreams, will a
« Reply #201 on: 19 February, 2013, 09:12:58 pm »
Another film back and a 40mm lens for my Bronica ETRSi, £99 on EBay well pleased :)
People too weak to follow their own dreams, will always find a way to discourage yours

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #202 on: 20 February, 2013, 08:38:01 pm »
Optech strap for my G11.  Someone (Charlotte?) had one on the photoday, and it looked like just what I needed - a strap that can be for wrist or shoulder.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #203 on: 24 February, 2013, 04:44:06 pm »
No.  I got sniped on eBay at 0 seconds (not even 1) for something I really, really wanted. >:( Price jumped.£25 and I lost it. :(
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #204 on: 24 February, 2013, 06:45:24 pm »
Just sending various accumulated films off for processing.

How much!? :o

Still, it's a one-off.  And I wonder how many times they receive 126s and 120s from the same customer ;D
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #205 on: 24 February, 2013, 07:08:20 pm »
For about the 100th week in a row I didn't buy any photographic equipment but, when Canon and Nikon are both selling DSLRs for £319, including 18-55mm zooms, how am I supposed to resist?

It's amazing to think I paid that much for a 2Mp Fuji "snapper"

but now I can get this..

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #206 on: 24 February, 2013, 08:19:48 pm »
Lorra camera for not much spons.
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #207 on: 24 February, 2013, 08:48:07 pm »
As the slightly annoying Ken Rockwell says, the D3100 is one of the most basic DSLRs on the market today, but it's pretty much all anyone could ever need inna camera.  Everything else is just extra bells and whistles.

SRSLY - even if you're shooting with a D4 or a 5D3 or something; the Nikon D3100 will get you to more or less the same place if your technique is good.  I have a friend who is also doing the 100 strangers project and he shoots exclusively with a D3000 and a 35mm f/1.8.  The work he does is fabulous:

Guy by bomvu, on Flickr

Kerry by bomvu, on Flickr
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #208 on: 26 February, 2013, 10:41:11 pm »
I bought a battery to bring Butterfly's Olympus Mju 35mm camera back to life.

And, er, something else.
Getting there...

« Reply #209 on: 27 February, 2013, 11:15:19 am »
I love the something else!  :-* :-* :-*
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #210 on: 27 February, 2013, 11:34:37 am »
I'm so glad you do.  Hoping to see results very soon.  And you deserve something special with a photogenic bairn in prospect.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #211 on: 28 February, 2013, 08:27:51 pm »
Yes.  A battery.  Well, two, but one is a spare I am unlikely to need for a while.

I was given a Minolta SRT-303b 35mm SLR by Our Kid a year or so back.  It's not taken a single exposure during its residence here.  See, it's as heavy as a brick... Well, actually, that's only part of the reason.  In fact, I didn't have a decent usable lightmeter at the time, and the camera needed an old mercury battery.  Game over. :(

Ah, not so!  Renewed searching recently uncovered a place where one can get, for an only slightly uncomfortable pile of cash, a suitable replacement.  The two tiny batteries winged their way across the Atlantic, and I was lucky enough not to be hit with an absurd amount of duty this time.

Duly fitted, and the matchneedle swings across beautifully.  I need to stick a film in and give it a whirl.

:)
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #212 on: 28 February, 2013, 09:44:50 pm »
At the weekend I wandered into Camera World in Wells Street (just off Oxford Street) with the vague idea that I fancied a slightly more stylish camera bag than my usual industrial strength Think Tank numbers.  I came away with this:

It's a Billingham Hadley Large in black canvas and I have to say, it's lovely.  It holds a large (but not pro size or gripped) SLR with a 24-70mm attached and the hood the right way round.  You can get a 70-200 and a flash or yet another lens in the other padded sections.  You can even get an iPad in the back and a whole load more in the front pockets.  But the genius of the thing is that when you're only carrying one camera and your purse, it seems to magically slim down and feels just like a largish handbag.  You can even slip the padded inner right out and use it as a courier-style bag.  It's light as a feather!

Unexplicably, Camera World are currently selling them at £115, when they normally go for at least £160.  It seemed rude not to...  :D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #213 on: 28 February, 2013, 09:47:33 pm »
Verrrrry stylish!

I carry my camera in an Arkell Bug atm (along with a heap of other crap)
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #214 on: 01 March, 2013, 06:18:48 am »
I love the something else!  :-* :-* :-*

And now that something else has prompted the delightful Butterfly to ask if we can go out for a Photoday tomorrow :thumbsup:
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #215 on: 16 March, 2013, 12:07:29 pm »
I got a Yashica Electro 35GS.  And a Yashica Electro 35GSN.  The first one hadn't arrived after nearly a month, so I'd opened a Paypal dispute, which seems to have prompted the git into action.  In the meantime, I'd ordered another one.

So I might have an Electro 35 for sale shortly. 

Just need to buy a battery now.........
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #216 on: 17 March, 2013, 07:01:01 pm »
Bought, no.  Hired - yes.   I've been shooting with a D800 all weekend. 

My Mac is currently groaning under the strain of hundreds of 36MP, 14 bit RAW files at 4912×7360 resolution and about 40Mb each  :D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #217 on: 17 March, 2013, 08:16:33 pm »
Shiny Toy! :thumbsup:

Wanna see pix! :D
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #218 on: 19 March, 2013, 09:30:30 pm »
I now own an Olympus OM-2SP, a Vivitar 70-210 lens, an Olympus T32 flash, a Zuiko 35-70 lens and an Olympus T18 flash, but the last two have not yet arrived.
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #219 on: 19 March, 2013, 09:54:40 pm »
Drool.

Sometimes I wish I'd kept my OM2n, 35-70, 75-150, 50mm and 24mm, oh and T32.

Today is one of those days.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #220 on: 19 March, 2013, 10:02:04 pm »
I  could never quite justify an OM2 and had to be satisfied with the OM-1 with 50 and 75-150 plus winder2 that is sitting on a shelf just above my printer.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #221 on: 19 March, 2013, 10:17:05 pm »
I used to have an OM-1, but I got the OM-2SP body and the 35-70 for less than the OM-1 and 50/1.8 in 1989 (second hand). :thumbsup:  OM-2N is a very nice camera too, though.

Next thing I want is some close up gear (probably go for extension tubes and a suitable lens).
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #222 on: 19 March, 2013, 10:24:11 pm »
I couldn't justify an OM2, but I had an OM1, OM10 and various third party lenses. The whole lot was stolen from my flat and my Insurance company tried to claim that All-Risks in Europe didn't over my flat.

The Ombudsman hit them over the head with a shuvel and I bought an OM2 and stuff with the payout.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #223 on: 19 March, 2013, 11:00:40 pm »
Yes.  A battery.  Well, two, but one is a spare I am unlikely to need for a while.

I was given a Minolta SRT-303b 35mm SLR by Our Kid a year or so back.  It's not taken a single exposure during its residence here.  See, it's as heavy as a brick... Well, actually, that's only part of the reason.  In fact, I didn't have a decent usable lightmeter at the time, and the camera needed an old mercury battery.  Game over. :(

Ah, not so!  Renewed searching recently uncovered a place where one can get, for an only slightly uncomfortable pile of cash, a suitable replacement.  The two tiny batteries winged their way across the Atlantic, and I was lucky enough not to be hit with an absurd amount of duty this time.

Duly fitted, and the matchneedle swings across beautifully.  I need to stick a film in and give it a whirl.

:)

Clarion, locally - this does the trick for the Minolta SRT-303b AFAIA... 

V625 Alkaline (PX625 Mercury Equivalent)
http://www.maplin.co.uk/v625-alkaline-px625-mercury-equivalent-31478

Ok V perhaps not constant...
http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_px625.htm
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Afasoas

« Reply #224 on: 21 March, 2013, 02:23:37 pm »
I've not bought any photography gear in quite some time. I've just spoiled myself by purchasing On-Ones Perfect Photo Suite Lightroom edition.

It firstly solves the problem of those times when I wish for a few more megapixels. It contains "Perfect Resizer" (previously known as "Genuine Fractals") which is the canines danglies for upsampling images for poster prints etc. Thom Hogan compared a photo taken with a D3 and upsampled to a photo taken with a D3x and the results are startlingly similar.

It also contains something called Perfect Effects which is a bit like Instagram on Steroids. It feels like cheating a bit as oppose to using Photoshop: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=58889.300

Only downside is that the software is not quick with my current PC setup.