Author Topic: Bought any photography stuff today?  (Read 172522 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Bought any photography stuff today?
« Reply #475 on: 06 February, 2015, 10:29:02 am »
That is a very capable camera.  I have an XZ-1, which is a similar kind of size, but with a wider lens and shorter zoom range.  It produces cracking shots.  I spent about £50 on it on ebay.
Getting there...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #476 on: 06 February, 2015, 10:35:25 am »
I bought a Canon 50mm f1.4 for my EOS.

It's an old model now but makes for lovely portraits on a crop-sensor (which is why I bought it).

Pity it doesn't have IS and the latest STM motor (but then it would be thrice the price I guess).

You want Bokeh?  I got Bokeh.

Edit.  My first real chance to use the 50mm f1.4 in a situation that it excels in.

Night time, ambient street lighting and requiring a portrait.  I'm absolutely over the moon with the results.

Larger size here link

As sharp as you like on the subject and buttery smooth background.  ISO 3200 (so a bit grainy, but the subject is gritty so it doesn't bother me).

The next step up in quality comes with a hefty price-tag and a more cumbersome bit of hardware. The f1.4 can just about be called "discreet", the F1.2s less so .

Great lighting in that.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #477 on: 24 February, 2015, 01:33:52 pm »
A Dakine Mission Photo backpack. Seems pretty good, should be plenty of space for my kit, with loads of padding. Plus it doesn't look like a camera bag, better than a boring black or grey Lowepro.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #478 on: 13 March, 2015, 09:33:17 am »
Didn't buy anything, but a chum gave me his Minolta XG-1, roughly equivalent to the OM-2 I used for ~30 years.  Tried it, it works.  Got a 45mm f/2 and a 28mm f/2.8, both Minolta, and a somewhat buggered Magnon 80-200 zoom. Going to bung an HP5 through it.

Feels funny, not having variable ISO/WB etc. Not to mention the absent LCD. Crikey, the good old days sped fast away.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #479 on: 18 March, 2015, 09:25:49 am »
Bought the missing piece to my camera bag, a true wide angle.

I went for the Canon 10-18mm,  f/4.5-5.6,  IS,  STM after glowing reviews.  It's an EOS lens so it actually equates to a 16-27mm equivalent.

It's stabilised and silent focus so useful for video.  It's not very bright but that's not an issue for me as I bought it for huge depth of field landscapes and IS takes care of lack of any high shutter speed.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #480 on: 22 March, 2015, 08:56:50 am »
Congrats - a good wide angle is great - I have an 18-30. 

A while after buying mine I read Ken Rockwell's observation that having bought a WA zoom he only ever used it on the shortest end.  I looked back through my pics and realized I was doing the same thing.  Doesn't hold for other zooms I have, though, short or long.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #481 on: 23 March, 2015, 09:31:36 am »
Congrats - a good wide angle is great - I have an 18-30. 

A while after buying mine I read Ken Rockwell's observation that having bought a WA zoom he only ever used it on the shortest end.  I looked back through my pics and realized I was doing the same thing.  Doesn't hold for other zooms I have, though, short or long.

Agree with the observation.  I assumed it was just my initial thrill of the WA effect.  I tried a few times to zoom in a little but quickly thought "Nah..wider is better".

Amazing just how quickly 18mm can become "meh" even though it was my de-facto wide angle on my Kit 18-55 and my rather lovely 18-135.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #482 on: 23 March, 2015, 11:08:51 am »
My 18-30 is on full frame so it's close to your 10-18.  Great for skies & landscape.  Also for cycling shots, but you have to get in close (excuse for picture):

This was with my old Tokina 12-24 on APS-C. The kids didn't always hit the ramp square, so a couple of times I had to scarper PDQ.

« Reply #483 on: 03 April, 2015, 09:53:54 pm »
Well in between buying and receiving....

An Olympus OM-D EM-1 with the 12-40 Pro kit lens.

Oh, and the 40-150 Pro zoom with a 1.4x tc (used)

Gulp  :o
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #484 on: 05 April, 2015, 03:41:43 pm »
Think Tank Logistics Manager rolling case.  Boring as heck unless you are in the habit of lumping a lot of studio kit around.  Then it becomes the greatest thing since sliced Hovis...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #485 on: 08 April, 2015, 09:11:38 am »
A new strap for the X20, well I bought 200 feet of paracord and some s-biners and made one anyway.

That's somewhere in the region of 160 feet of cord, first a cobra sinnet in black, then over knotted with a cobra sinnet in blue to make it wider and more robust.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #486 on: 08 April, 2015, 12:27:52 pm »
A new strap for the X20, well I bought 200 feet of paracord and some s-biners and made one anyway.

That's somewhere in the region of 160 feet of cord, first a cobra sinnet in black, then over knotted with a cobra sinnet in blue to make it wider and more robust.

Blimey, James Bond could do with that in some live-saving action sequence!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #487 on: 10 April, 2015, 12:40:38 pm »
Awaiting a couple of 64Gb SD cards ready for the bridge timelapse tomorrow.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #488 on: 22 April, 2015, 06:09:53 pm »
A WD MyPassport portable HDD with built-in SD card reader, for "OTG" back-ups.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #489 on: 22 April, 2015, 08:21:48 pm »
Elinchrom beauty dish to replace the Chinese mystery meat eBay special I've been gaffer-taping a speedlight into for the last couple of years.  It's just arrived, so I had to try it out immediately.  Although my Fuji probably wasn't the best camera to use, here's Julian looking puzzled at why I've just attached what looks suspiciously like a salad bowl to a light head...

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #490 on: 27 April, 2015, 12:20:27 pm »
Last year I picked up a box of miscellaneous cameras and bits from our local auction house. it contained:
- a Fuji digital camera which I really must get round to taking to a charity shop.
- a Pentax 35mm P&S.
- a Nikon F65 35mm SLR with Nikkor 28-80 AF lens. This lens works a treat on my Nikon DSLR body and is ideal for general product shots.
- a Minolta 35mm SLR with 28-80mm lens. I flogged the lens on eBay.
- a battery and charger for a Nikon DSLR. Also flogged on eBay.
- a battery holder for a Nikon DSLR.
- some coloured filters.
- a couple of so-far unidentified Fuji rechargeable batteries.
- an Olympus Trip 35 still in its box. This was my first decent camera but mine has long since departed. This replacement sits proudly on the window cill of my office.
- an Olympus OM1n with 50mm and Tamron 28-70 (I think). Miss Woofage has this displayed on her bedroom window cill 8).
- a Canon Powershot G12 complete with box, manual etc. This has proved to be an excellent take everywhere camera.
(I think that's everything).

I got this lot for about 50 beer tokens. I think of it as £50 for a good Nikon lens and everything else free :smug:.
Pen Pusher

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #491 on: 27 April, 2015, 10:46:07 pm »
If you are wanting to sell on your Olympus items, they would get a good home here...
Getting there...

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #492 on: 28 April, 2015, 04:38:11 pm »
Message sent re. the G12

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #493 on: 28 April, 2015, 05:08:12 pm »
If you are wanting to sell on your Olympus items, they would get a good home here...

Well, we now have 2 OM1s in the household but I doubt that either will be sold. Miss W is keen on having a go with film so had bagged the one from the auction as soon as I got it home. My own OM1 has too much sentimental value to let go and the couple of decent OM mount lenses I have I sometimes use with an adapter on my Panasonic M4/3 just for fun*.

* that reminds me. I did a cracking job of "scanning" some slides recently using a 50mm standard lens in front of a short extension tube mounted onto said OM to M4/3 adapter, with the slide mounted in a makeshift frame and lit from behind with a daylight bulb. Here's an example:

P1030016 by pencyclist, on Flickr
Pen Pusher

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #494 on: 28 April, 2015, 05:27:42 pm »
- a Canon Powershot G12 complete with box, manual etc. This has proved to be an excellent take everywhere camera.

Flogged one of those to buy a lens a year or two back.  I agree that it's a good camera and the twisty LCD is great, but it was such a brick that it pulled any pocket I put it in down to knee level, so I always found myself picking up something else to go walkies.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #495 on: 29 April, 2015, 08:08:59 am »
Can't fault your choices, there, Woofage. :)

I hope Miss W has many happy times with her camera.  My first camera was an OM-1.  Brilliant.
Getting there...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #496 on: 29 April, 2015, 08:25:26 am »
^^^ Ditto my first SLR. Lovely wee camera. Still got it.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #497 on: 30 April, 2015, 05:52:23 pm »
Got an Olympus 9mm fisheye bodycap lens. Fixed aperture (f8), and no real focusing. But still good fun for quick snaps, interesting fisheye effect.
Plus its very slim, makes the camera almost pocket size.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #498 on: 30 April, 2015, 05:59:09 pm »
Something with 750 in the name.
It is simpler than it looks.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #499 on: 10 May, 2015, 08:49:40 pm »
Not bought, but rented.  I've just got the keys to my new studio...