Author Topic: The Sceptre 100 km (an east kent grimpeur) 31/05/08  (Read 2748 times)

The Sceptre 100 km (an east kent grimpeur) 31/05/08
« on: 02 April, 2008, 06:18:29 pm »
Plug for the above event I'm organising...

The ride kicks off from The Iron Room, Boughton Lees near Ashford,Kent  and heads through Wye, Crundale, Petham, Upper Hardes, and tackles a few mini-beasts including Chequers Hill and the climb from Bursted Manor, to the first checkpoint just above Bishopsbourne.
The next leg starts off fairly politely through Barham, Denton (passing the Jackdaw PH featured in the 'Battle of Britain' film),climbing to Wooten and onto the Alkham valley where many of the lanes have been resurfaced. A vicious climb out of the valley and a few undulations takes you to the mid point control near West Hougham with it views of Dover Castle.
Refreshed, theres a bit of retracing before descending into Alkham and a 20% climb back out of the valley. Then its onto Lydden Hill,Wootten, Snode Hill and into the Elham Valley. Another beast takes you out of the valley on your way towards Stelling Minnis. From here it's onto the North Downs proper by climbing the 'other side' of Kingsmill Down to give great views across to the Weald and Fairlight on a good day. Descend to an 'info' and reclimb back onto the Downs, then through Waltham, Petham and towards Chartham and you're nearly home-well almost. The long drag of Penny Pot Lane takes you back to Crundale where theres a sting in the tail more than made up for by the views across the Stour valley. Then it's downhill all the way to the finish (well, no hills anyway).

Re: The Sceptre 100 km (an east kent grimpeur) 31/05/08
« Reply #1 on: 02 April, 2008, 07:35:00 pm »
Forgot to add...
If you've already ridden Hills & Mills, MJF, Invicta Grimpeur and the Faccombe Spring Haul this year you can puchase your 'Grimpeurs du Sud' badge after the ride.

« Reply #2 on: 02 April, 2008, 07:37:54 pm »
I entered thinking I could route check it the week before but the actual ride is on the same day as the Irish Mail so I assume that's verboten.

Not sure about that. There was a organiser last year who rode all his three events that were run on the same day.

« Reply #3 on: 31 May, 2008, 07:44:15 pm »
Few pictures........

Cyklisten still smiling on Chequers Hill (but he hasn't reached the steepest bit yet)

« Reply #4 on: 31 May, 2008, 07:48:07 pm »

Colin W and lead group on Chequers Hill

« Reply #5 on: 31 May, 2008, 07:49:39 pm »

Simon B 3rd from L.

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
« Reply #6 on: 01 June, 2008, 05:32:50 pm »
Cracking ride Pat, thanks! I stripped the bike down (panniers / lights off etc. after last weeks 600) - just as well really  ;D

Pix and stuff here

skål

Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010

« Reply #7 on: 01 June, 2008, 08:15:59 pm »
'Dr Cherrys surgery'.....I did laugh.

Last pic-Tracys thinking 'Did he ask for tea or Coffee'

Had 30 entries, 26 started and 22 finished. Tracys looking forward to making another 90 rollls and baking her next batch of cakes for The Crown. That reminds me must get some more cling-film in.

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
« Reply #8 on: 01 June, 2008, 08:26:47 pm »
'That reminds me must get some more cling-film in.

I managed to eat that well mashed lump of malt loaf i 'found' in my pocket. cling film protected, it was v. nice!
Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010